New Jersey

Pearl River HIlton vs. the Westmount Country Club

Hey guys,

I am new to this board and recently engaged, and I need some advice about my venue.  I am from Westchester, and my fiance is from Bergen County, so we are looking at venues in both areas.  We have a large wedding of about 325 - 350 people, and I need a place that can hold us all comfortably.

My fiance and I have looked at a million venues, and we have narrowed it down to two- one is a Saturday night at the Pearl River Hilton in April 2012, and the other is a Saturday night at the Westmount Country Club in February, 2012. 

When I first saw PRH, I was in love.  I love how it is very classic, and they seeem really accomodating.  I think it is very beautiful, and I love that the wedding party can all stay over.  It felt like it would be my own private hotel for my wedding weekend.  Does anyone have an insight about the venue?  Were they accomodating?  How was the food?  Did they seem attentive to detail?  Etc- all information would be greatly appreciated.

Walking into Wetsmount Country Club was amazing.  The venue is just gorgeous, but it is the opposite of PRH.  It is not classic, but avant garde and trendy.  I heard the food is delicious, and the space is interesting and beautiful.  They also seem very attentive.  The problem is, the only time we would be able to book the venue would be in February, and I never pictured myself having a winter wedding.

I would love any advice that you have with respect to either of these venues.  Please help!!

Click here -->> for our wedding website ! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pearl River HIlton vs. the Westmount Country Club

• goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have been to weddings at both venues and honestly, if I had to choose between the two I would go with Westmounth Country Club.   I was not a fan of the Pearl River Hilton.    I thought the food was just average, and was not really impressed considering the cost of holding an event at that venue.   Also, the hotel rooms are pretty expensive for your guests, so if they are staying it isn't cheap.    The WCC has amazing food and you can pick a local hotel with a shuttle that will be cheaper for your guests.  Both are beautiful venues, but I think the food would do it for me.

As for the Pearl River Hilton being your own private hotel for your wedding...that is not true.   When I was there for my friends wedding there was at least 3 other weddings at outside venues that were using that hotel for their guests.  After the wedding we attended, we all hung out at the bar and all 4 brides were there hanging out with their guests, so most likely it won't be just your wedding.
  • TaraK22TaraK22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Pearl River HIlton vs. the Westmount Country Club:
    [QUOTEWhen I was there for my friends wedding there was at least 3 other weddings at outside venues that were using that hotel for their guests.  After the wedding we attended, we all hung out at the bar and all 4 brides were there hanging out with their guests, so most likely it won't be just your wedding.
    Posted by goaliegirl[/QUOTE]

This was my experience too - we were one of the weddings that was at a different venue but stayed over at PRH - I remember the room being pretty pricey, and there was definitely more than 1 bride at the bar afterwards.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm biased because I booked at the WCC for Nov. 2011, but I have to say, after going to the Venetian and Seasons and the Manor and the Grove and Pleasantdale and all the other fancy places we went to, we walked in and just fell in love.  It's not what I expected to like, but it's perfect.  Also, they are so so flexible with the menu and so glad to help- and they give you food when you meet!  And drinks!  But February is a tough month to work with...snow etc.  I'm sure whatever you pick will be beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I"m going to echo the PP.  While the PRH is nice and also being a hotel is convenient, I don't see it as even being on the same level as the WCC,  And I know what you mean about it being a little less classic, but I don't think it's super trendy or way out there.
  • edited December 2011
    WCC is an amazing venue - I've been to two weddings there and each one blew my mind. The first time I went to a wedding there was 7 years ago, and I still remember it all these years later as being crazy over the top amazing. I've never been to the other venue you've mentioned, but I can tell you WCC is great.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Westmount Country Club hands down.  The food is SO much better.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks guys.. I really appreciate the help.  I am going this weekend for a tasting at WCC, so maybe that will put me over the edge.

My otehr issue is that I have a lot of older guests, and I am not sure if they are going to feel comfortable at such a trendy venue.  Thoughts?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not THAT trendy.  My fiance's cousin got married there.  They had 340 guests, many of whom had flown in from Italy and were very traditional.  The food is AWESOME and the room with the fireplace is great for pictures etc.  No one thought it was too modern.  I think the one time "older people" like to break out of their comfort zone is a wedding because they go to so many its hard to keep it fresh.  The only thing that was modern to me are the lighting fixtures and the furniture in the cocktail hour.  The entrance is very classic.

Really the two venues that are deciding between don't compare on the NJ wedding circuit so I wouldn't hesitate to book the Westmount.   It's well known that its a "better" venue than the PRH.
  • edited December 2011
    PP, I  can't say i agree with you that the two venues aren't equal, although I will admit I'm not really tuned it to what is "cool" on the NJ wedding circuit, but only that I can tell what I like.  Where did you get married?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Notoriousmand, I'm getting married at Season's primarily for the food.  If I had a bigger wedding it would have been between the Venitian, Pleasantdale, Westmount and Florentine Gardens but I'm only having 125.  (These venues would have been my top choices because of the food and not because I'm in love with the over the top type of wedding--I live in the city and I'm not originally from NJ)

This all just my opinion of course. But for what its worth, its seems to be a consensus among all the posters that Westmount is a slam dunk.   But its your wedding so do what you want!  If PRH makes you happy then do it. 

The one thing I'm SURE about though, is that the food is better at the Westmount.  Food at weddings is the #1 priority for me but it may not be for you.  If food is a big priority, go with Westmount.  If its a #2 or #3 priority then go with PRH.
  • tstrayer27tstrayer27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Westmount bride as well. I've never been to the PRH but know someone that had their wedding there and the WCC appeared much nicer after looking at photos. We had two tastings at the WCC and they were terrific. Like you said though February is not the month I would imagine myself getting married either. I actually refused it :) With that said though we had to compromise and have ours in the afternoon instead.  We are also only having around 100-120 people and we couldn't have afforded it otherwise. You have to do what's in your budget and I don't think you can go wrong with the WCC. Are you absolutely tied to a Saturday night? Maybe Friday or Sunday would be a better deal? I don't recall the differences. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    you've prob already chosen, but...

i was in a similar spot. i had a tasting (which, fwiw, is pithy compared to other venues) and loved the food, and food was very important for me in choosing a venue. we'd been planning to get married in the spring (outside) but the only saturday night the westmount had was in january. we went with it and i haven't regretted it for a second. guests are still talking to me and my parents about the food, and this ranges from 80 yo cousins to friends who live in the city and are massive food snobs. the reason we knew about the westmount in the first place is b/c an older gentleman my mom knows from the gym was raving about a wedding he attended the year before.

i know nothing about the prh, but one thing to keep in mind about westmount is that you have some bargaining power. ask them to throw in viennese or shrimp or some extras. feb is not the most popular month so they will probably work with you on price and amenities.

we took pics outside and they came out gorgeous. there was snow on the ground and my fiance had bought me a gorgeous white fur shawl as my gift. pm me and i'll happily share some pics or any other info. good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards