Michigan-Detroit

Should I be offended?

I showed a picture of my wedding dress to my sisters friend and was told " thats kind of plain". My dress is Martina Liana #257. I dont think its plain at all. I am soooo excited for it to come in. Now that a guy just said that Im worried a little maybe it wont be as wonderful as I hoped.

Re: Should I be offended?

• edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh, no!!  Your dress is absolutely gorgeous!!  It's not plain in the least...simplicity = elegance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    No way!!! Your dress is AMAZING!!!!
    **Beth**
    Old Planning Bio
    FOR SALE!!

May 15, 2010
    image image
  • becandjim10becandjim10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!! I just never expected someone to say that. I tried on no joke probably 50 dresses or more and hated them all. I have loved this dress forever and even paid $43 to have it shipped here from Cali just so I could try it on. I just never expected someone to say that. It kind of threw me for a minute.
  • terbear_86terbear_86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think its plain, and there is no such thing as a plain wedding dress. A wedding dress is "plain" when no one wears it. When it's worn, it is filled with love and a glow that no other piece of attire could ever have.

(With that said, these are the exceptions to the above mentioned rule - http://brideswhomeanbusiness.com/?tag=fashion - I don't care how much love you feel in those dresses, they will never be pretty or Klassy!  LOL)
  • edited December 2011
    Bec, your dress is gorgeous!!!!!! Some people think that if a dress isn't completely filled with beads, glitter, lace, sequins, etc that it's plain!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it. I brought one of my friends to see the dress (wanted his thoughts) and his boyfriend told my mother that the detailing "drew attention to my crotch, like you know, it's the present for the wedding night"...

And your dress is gorgeous!
  • edited December 2011
    Don't listen to them. You know you picked it because you love it. I'm sure your FI will love it too. Don't worry! You are going to look fab!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else it is gorgeous! They are crazy! 
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Methinks sister's friend is JEALOUS! It amazes me what people think it's OK to say to a bride- it's like they become old people with no mental filter.

Don't let some dude sway your opinion- what matters is that YOU are happy with it!

The dress is amazing, BTW.
  • edited December 2011
    I think your dress is amazing! I love the capped shoulders. My dress is even more plain than yours!
  • edited December 2011
     Your dress is beautiful! Very elegent and chic! Don't put to much thought into what anyone else thinks, as long as you love your dress that is what counts.

If someone tells you something negative, just smile and say, "Well I guess its a good thing your not wearing it."   That will shut them up! Laughing
  • Kimbus 87Kimbus 87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE that dress. I don't think its too plain I think its very beautiful and elegant.

Just remember you picked the dress for a reason and that is the only reason that counts.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies. At first I was thinking what you are all saying but as an hour or 2 passed I started doubting it so thank you for reassuring me and reminding me why I picked this dress. Thank you so much!Kiss
  • ms nobodyms nobody member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    late on this:

You should always be offended when someone says something as rude and thoughtless as "your dress is too plain." You should never actually take it seriously because of the character of the source. 
    Bio Update 4.25.10
    imageimage
    Amanda Williams Photography
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good point, the source is kind of ridiculous now that I think about it more lol When I told FI what was said he got a stupid smirk on his face and said " so show me the picture and Ill tell you if its plain" trying to trick me into showing him the dress.
  • Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_should-offended?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:6d8d3e80-4fb6-4b83-8691-debf8284fa92Post:f8524161-4ba6-49bc-9632-b2bc6a1bdef0">Re: Should I be offended?</a>:
    [QUOTE]late on this: You should always be offended when someone says something as rude and thoughtless as "your dress is too plain." You should never actually take it seriously because of the character of the source. 
    Posted by ms nobody[/QUOTE]

THIS.  Who actually says something like this?!?

On a different note, I don't remember seeing a picture of you in the dress, but I just looked it up and I LOVE it.  I love those lace capped sleeves.  They looked terrible on me and I was really upset about that, but I love the look of them!
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't listen to that person!!  Your dress is beautiful and I've always felt that simple is elegant. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also looked your dress up and think it's timeless and beautiful. i love the small amount of lace on the straps (which is my fave part). the dress is beautiful and you will be beautiful in it!
    It's hard to not doubt yourself when someone speaks ill of you and your choices... but keep you head up! that "source" will be wipping drolls off his mouth when he sees you in your dress (if he's invited, that is!) :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

Your dress is amazing. I agree with PP dont pay her any mind.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_should-offended?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:6d8d3e80-4fb6-4b83-8691-debf8284fa92Post:c8aada45-7a9d-47ce-b45d-1f6e37243bbb">Re: Should I be offended?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't worry about it. I brought one of my friends to see the dress (wanted his thoughts) and his boyfriend told my mother that the detailing "drew attention to my crotch, like you know, it's the present for the wedding night"... And your dress is gorgeous!
    Posted by futuremrsbrian[/QUOTE]

That is hilarious!

Yea, I would not worry about that!  What matters is what you think!  Just so you are happy and love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards