Military Brides

International Dilemma :-/

So here's a tough one...I'm hoping someone out there has some suggestions!

I met my fiancée while he was on holiday in Florida from England...He is in the Royal Air Force in Oxford and I'll be joining him over there to start our married life together in November after we marry. I'm very excited!

But now here is my dilemma.....Wedding Gifts! I feel tacky asking for money but with my big move over seas I have no idea how I'm going to bring with me all the gifts I would receive.....I really want to have the "registry" experience but I can't seem to find a place that ships internationally? What are some ideas so I can still register for wedding gifts with out having to ship them over to England for an arm and a leg from the states? ....

Re: International Dilemma :-/

• Can you register on Amazon and have the shipping address be your FI's address? 

Also, do not ask for money. Have a very small registry with a small shower (if someone offers to throw you one). 

However, really, I would forgo the shower, not register, and spread by word of mouth about the moving. People will get the hint and give you cash. 

• I could look into Amazon since its global...I cant have anything shipped to Florida because im moving to England..it has to be able to ship overseas to England. Amazon is a good idea though, ill check that out. Smile thanks!

And for the shower my maid of honor is already on the ball planning the shower, with out a registry I hope people get the hint...

• Yeah, showers are gift giving events so really you shouldn't have one, because what are people going to do? The whole point of a shower is to "shower" the bride with gifts. I'm sorry, but going to a shower to watch someone open cards sounds absolutely awful. Perhaps instead of a "shower" you can just have a lunch with friends and family and not call it a shower at all. 

Also, I meant use your FI's address in England. I'm assuming he has one? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_international-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3b728561-1c72-4015-84cd-47a3fd1645f9Post:1b573bf8-7a17-43e4-b027-545e1301d978">International Dilemma :-/</a>:
    [QUOTE]So here's a tough one...I'm hoping someone out there has some suggestions! I met my fiancée while he was on holiday in Florida from England...He is in the Royal Air Force in Oxford and I'll be joining him over there to start our married life together in November after we marry. I'm very excited! But now here is my dilemma.....Wedding Gifts! I feel tacky asking for money but with my big move over seas I have no idea how I'm going to bring with me all the gifts I would receive.....I really want to have the "registry" experience but I can't seem to find a place that ships internationally? What are some ideas so I can still register for wedding gifts with out having to ship them over to England for an arm and a leg from the states? ....
    Posted by amandahopson1[/QUOTE]

<div>Register at stores that are based in England? If they have online shopping, it would be "domestic" shipping even if the billing address is in the US if they are shipping it to you in England?</div><div>
    </div><div>What has your fiance had to say?</div><div>
    </div><div>Otherwise, I'd probably not register.. and if people ask, explain to them that you don't have a way to ship gifts there. I still wouldn't ask for money; most people will infer from you telling them you have no way to get things there that cash is best if they want to give you a gift.</div>
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • You could do a lingerie shower for your shower here.  You could also do a theme like the kitchen or the bathroom.  Register for towels and such for a bathroom theme.  For kitchen, you could have your MOH ask everyone to bring a recipe to share with y'all and their favorite small kitchen tool.  
    Your shower can also have nothing to do with gifts.  You could have a game night or spa night.  Show a favorite chick flick, have popcorn and such and veg out.  Paint toes and do facials.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Tx! where have you been lately! I feel like you never come around here anymore! 

And Yes I just used a lot of exclamation points. 
  • We've been busy.  The kids started back to school now, so I'll be on more during the day.  
  • I'm on during the day randomly, when I can post from my phone and I have no clients. Work will pick up now (school referrals will come in to mental health now haha). 

H and I have to go to Savannah soon. We haven't been in a while and I feel the need to enter a mall and actually do some shopping. 

I hope to see you around more! 
  • Let me know if you come out.  Maybe we can have lunch or what ever.  
  • I would love that. He will also be gone again soon for a few weeks so we can maybe meet up then too? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards