Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

when to solder?

I read on a jewlery website that it's best to get engagement rings and wedding bands soldered before the wedding, but my friends who have done it all did it when they got back from their honeymoon.  I just can't imagine being an excited newlywed and not having my rings for a week. Anyone know what's customary?

Re: when to solder?

• I'm wondering this very same thing!  My mom says the rings get soldered after the wedding. But we are going  on our honeymoon the Monday right after our wedding, and I want to solder the rings the before the wedding so that I can wear them and enjoy them on our honeymoon.  If they aren't together I don't want to have to worry about them not being together as in losing one or the other.  Some websites say you can solder them before and some say it's not customary.  I think I am just going to get mine done the week before the wedding.  I talked to the jewelry store where they came from and they said to just bring it in a little over a week before and I could pick it up the day or two days before the wedding.  If I do that I'm just going to keep the ring  in the box and not wear it for 2 days since you aren't supposed to wear the wedding band before you're married. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's exactly what I was thinking I would do. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one! :)
  • The jewelers I went to said most women they've seen have brought theirs in to be soldered after the wedding. 
    I don't want to be without my e-ring, and IMO, it'd be awkward for me to walk down the aisle without it on.  And double awkward for FI to be saying his vows and slipping my e-ring back on my finger along with the wedding band.
    I don't know if I will get mine soldered at all.  Maybe it's a bad way to think of it, but if something were to happen and the rings were lost/stolen/etc, I'd lose BOTH rings if they were soldered.
    But if I do get them soldered, what's the problem in waiting a week until I get back from my honeymoon to have it done?
  • I didn't have mine soldered at all.  You may want to wear them for a bit to see what you like. I lift weights several times a week (former competitive bodybuilder, so these are heavy weights, not the 3 lb.) kayak, and camp a lot.  I like being able to lock my e-ring up in my safe when I'm doing activities that I don't feel comfortable with wearing my e-ring. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I am having this problem too.  My wedding band is a double sided wrap band so they have to be soldered together.  I'll be w/out my e-ring for a good week or two before the wedding.
  • Yeah, some people say they don't get them soldered, but I want mine soldered.  i think they look much better together anyway.  I picked out my ring and that is one of the reasons I got this ring is because I fell in love with the way my e-ring and wedding band would look together.  As far as something happening to it, we purchased lifetime care plan, and as long as I get it inspected every 6 months, it will be taken care of.  So, I am going to solder mine BEFORE the wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You can solder before the wedding - but then you'd be without it prior to the wedding.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you may then find that you're not wearing your rings at all if you gain a significant amount of weight.  Plus - once you do solder, it's quite the process to get that 'un-soldered'.

• edited February 2010
    I didn't get my rings soldered together.  I always wear my wedding band and usually wear my e-ring, but I like the option of leaving my e-ring at home when I have to go to certain areas of town.
    weddingcollage
  • Thanks ladies! I ended up deciding to solder before the wedding, it was dropped off at the jeweler today. As much as I don't like being with out my E-ring, I think I'd dislike it even more to be without both after the wedding (and my E-ring is nothing I'll have to worry about being mugged for in a bad part of town).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards