Attire & Accessories Forum

Tuxes and shoes- opinions?

We're looking at having the guys wear black tuxedos, but the shinyshiny shoes they come with are kinda ugly. How bad is it for the guys to wear regular black dress shoes? I know that people sometimes wear sneakers, etc as part of their style, but we're looking to have it be a bit more traditional but not necessarily super fancy.  Thanks for the input!

ETA- better spacing in the title.  OP was on mobile.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tuxes and shoes- opinions?

• I know what you mean about the super shiny shoes. I think as long as they are newish shoes and are in good repair (aka shined up with some shoe polish and free of scuffs) It should be fine. Hopefully your guests will be looking at you and not the groomsmens shoes lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • a6a14173a6a14173 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tuxes-and-shoesopinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6c03bee5-9c89-4d12-a081-424c3596ebcaPost:23ac7318-87b1-445e-a701-d5532d73b29a">Re: Tuxes and shoesopinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sneakers are TACKY with a tuxedo.  I don't think they're cute or quirky.  The groom looks like an ignorant hick who doesn't know how to dress properly. The shoes are supposed to be shiny.  They're FORMAL.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I appologize if I wasn't clear.  I get thet they're supposed to be formal, and I wasn't advocating sneakers.  I was just commenting that while I know that people do it, that's not the direction we're looking at going.  My question was whether nice black dress shoes would be out of place with a tuxedo.  I know that the traditional shoe is the shiny one, but for some reason it screams 80s Sears family portrait to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They can wear their own dress shoes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tuxes-and-shoesopinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6c03bee5-9c89-4d12-a081-424c3596ebcaPost:8dd0c3c6-0e49-476a-af72-650a542e9d5f">Re: Tuxes and shoes- opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the tux shoes are too fancy, then tuxes are too fancy. The GM can wear suits, which are also formal, just not as formal as tuxes.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]
    I 100% agree with this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tuxes-and-shoesopinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6c03bee5-9c89-4d12-a081-424c3596ebcaPost:52f7e1d8-2ce9-4c99-8b59-25c9a4b1dac8">Re: Tuxes and shoes- opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My question was whether nice black dress shoes would be out of place with a tuxedo. I answered. They need to wear the shiny tux shoes.  Black dress shoes are for dress suits, not formalwear.  They are dress shoes, not evening shoes. You wouldn't wear plain pumps with a cocktail or evening dress.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ok - here's the truth (I'm a man, own 2 tuxedos, and work in men's suits for a large company) Formal shoes are TRADITIONALLY patent leather of some sort. If you choose, you can wear highly polished black cap toe or plain toe dress shoes. So you can wear either. If the groomsmen don't have good black dress shoes that will take a shine, then have them wear the patent leather shoes. There are tons of blogs on this subject - I have both and I wear both based on my mood. I also have a pair of evening slippers with my monogram on them I wore to the last wedding I attended. I was a hit with all of the ladies present.

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards