Catholic Weddings

Engaged Encounter vs. ????

Hi everyone!  Brand new knottie here - just got engaged yesterday after five years of dating my now-fiance!

We have a meeting on Saturday morning with the priest at my parish to discuss our wedding plans, but to prepare a bit, I've been reading over the "marriage FAQs" section on the parish's website.  Is anyone familiar with the "Toward Marriage Program?"  Apparently, our options are to participate in an Engaged Encounter weekend (with which I am somewhat familiar) or to attend the Toward Marriage Program (with which I am not at all familiar).  All of my internet searches regarding this program are coming up with nothing - the church is in NH (I'm just in RI for graduate school), so maybe it's a regional thing?  We'll definitely discuss this with the priest on Saturday, but if anyone has any information beforehand, it would be much appreciated!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engaged Encounter vs. ????

• Welcome and congratulations!

I have never heard of the Toward Marriage Program, and I haven't seen it mentioned here.  Hopefully your priest can shed a little light on it -- we're always getting girls who can't fit EE into their schedules and are hoping for alternatives, so maybe that's what it is!
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_engaged-encounter-vs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d3a4090c-1337-4392-977e-e8457d3b066dPost:857feca2-1a1a-4ea8-a835-ca7d662c9b78">Re: Engaged Encounter vs. ????</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome and congratulations! I have never heard of the Toward Marriage Program, and I haven't seen it mentioned here.  Hopefully your priest can shed a little light on it -- we're always getting girls who can't fit EE into their schedules and are hoping for alternatives, so maybe that's what it is!
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
  • I would imagine that it is a parish-sponsored marriage prep. program. The materials they use may have that name or it might just be what someone decided to call it.

Parish sponsored programs usually operate in one of two ways: either they do evenings of the engaged -- a couple of hours once a week for several weeks, or they do a two-day workshop (a come in Friday night, go home, return all day Saturday kind of thing).

Many parishes only do this a few times a year, so for many couples, if it doesn't fit into their schedule, they are forced to look for an alternative (like EE). On the other hand, it is more likely that the couples there will be from your parish or nearby parishes (rather than a broader state or region), so it is away to connect with other young, Catholic couples from your area.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Due to work obligations, FI and I couldn't fit the standard EE weekend into our schedules. Our priest suggested an online alternative which was perfect for us. Google "online catholic marriage preparation" and you will find it. It is a group based in Colorado. One little perk was that it was actually quite a bit less expensive than the EE weekends! $165 or so vs $400. Of course, before you travel too far down any alternative path, make sure your diocese and priest approve it!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_engaged-encounter-vs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d3a4090c-1337-4392-977e-e8457d3b066dPost:a73deb56-2dc9-4510-b077-b626e5c5e867">Re: Engaged Encounter vs. ????</a>:
    [QUOTE]Due to work obligations, FI and I couldn't fit the standard EE weekend into our schedules. Our priest suggested an online alternative which was perfect for us. Google "online catholic marriage preparation" and you will find it. It is a group based in Colorado. One little perk was that it was actually quite a bit less expensive than the EE weekends! $165 or so vs $400. Of course, before you travel too far down any alternative path, make sure your diocese and priest approve it!
    Posted by S6ix[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, I was a bit shocked at the cost of the EE weekend!  The other option turned out to be a New Hampshire-specific form of preparation, and it fits our schedules well, so my fiance and I are going to go with that.
  • Woops...I accidentally submitted that last post from my FI's account (he made one for his own amusement, and I was using his computer).  Thanks again for the responses!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_engaged-encounter-vs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d3a4090c-1337-4392-977e-e8457d3b066dPost:3f439ae2-83b3-47bd-8c77-017a9ea2517f">Re: Engaged Encounter vs. ????</a>:
    [QUOTE]Woops...I accidentally submitted that last post from my FI's account (he made one for his own amusement, and I was using his computer).  Thanks again for the responses!
    Posted by elbow23[/QUOTE]
    lol! I love his name!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards