Wedding Etiquette Forum

How far is too far?

How far is too far to make your bridal party  drive to rehearsal dinner?
We're looking at a restaurant that's about 7 miles away from our church/rehearsal location. Is that ok?
Thanks
May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:Cake inspiration image

Re: How far is too far?

• mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Is rehearsal on a weekend or weekday?

However, 7 miles does seem quite far especially when you factor in what time this dinner will  finish before they start their journey home.
  • CallaLily25CallaLily25 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    How many minutes away is it? 7 miles sounds fine to me, though. In my area, we'd definitely have to drive 15 to 20 minutes for a decent restaurant/location for a rehearsal dinner. I just wouldn't do any more than 25 minutes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 7 miles seems like nothing to me, but I live out in the country, and if we go out to eat, we're easily driving 15-30 minutes.
    Praying for a miracle!
  • I think 7 miles is totally acceptable.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Yeah I would only consider 7 miles far if I had to walk it in heels.

What is the distance in time?  People don't think about the distance to things in mileage but in how long it takes to get somewhere.  When you are on an open road (say the highway) doing 70 it should probably only take you 7-10 minutes to get to your destination.  But if you are in a congested city with lots of lights and traffic then it could take you a lot longer.

• 7 miles doesn't sound far, but it depends on the area. There are areas near me where even 7 miles can take awhile due to traffic and all that. But when it's not rush hour, it's not terrible.
  • Yeah, 7 miles on the freeway=not much, 7 miles across downtown during rush hour=over an hour. We're going about 5 miles for ours, but at 20 minutes to get there, it's about as far as we'd be willing to go out.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Depends on where you are. I live out in the middle of nowhere, going to any restaurant is going to take at least 15 minutes for me to get there. Our rehersal isn't really near much of anything, so we are using my mom's house (since she lives closest) and buying pizza and wings for everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image
  • Seven city miles or seven country miles? During rush hour?  It should probably be fine but definitely try to take that into consideration. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2013
    7 miles? That doesnt seem far at all. What that's like a 10 minute drive max.
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-far-is-too-far-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:416eae99-1db8-466a-91f6-62f8171b8571Post:1a5ede7a-9403-438a-b259-e07b841834f1">Re: How far is too far?</a>:
    [QUOTE]7 miles? That doesnt seem far at all. What that's like a 10 minute drive max.
    Posted by ftrmrsw[/QUOTE]

Yes it is but only if you don't hit traffic or any lights.  Now imagine you are in NYC, a 7 mile jaunt would probably take you an hour by car.

• 7 miles should be fine as long as you aren't asking people to walk  Smile. Mine was probably more like 15 miles away. Parents lived 30 miles away from church & we couldn't do it at church & everything around church was out of our buget so closest we could get was 15 miles which no one in our party complained about.
  • I think that as long as the drive at the time of day you are asking them to travel is below 20 or so minutes, it's fine. I work about 8 miles away from one job and its like 9 minutes, 30 seconds from leaving my driveway to the parking spot.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would side eye any RD location that took more then 30 minutes to get to from the Rehursal site by the most reasonable method, unless that would mean walking then I'd lower that time to 15 minutes.  Ours was about 5 miles, less then a 10 minutes drive and I felt like that was close even though it was "technically" in a different town. 
  • 7 miles seems perfectly fine by me. Ours was about 30 minutes but we provided transportation.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Ours is about 30 minutes away - but the rehearsal is earlier in the day (yes I know - it's literally the only time the priest would let us do it, and to go eat afterwards would require the wedding party to take off a half day of work instead of just 30 min during lunch).  I think as long as you're talking roads that move, 7 miles is no big deal.  Downtown Atlanta?  I would mutiny.  You get the picture.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you use Google maps, it will tell you how long it will take to drive from the rehersal location. It also has an option to see the trafffic at any given time, and it will say X time normally, but X time in current traffic. 
  • I'm sorry, I probably should have clarified a little more.
    The rehearsal will start at 4pm and will probably be over around 5- 5:30, and it will be on a Thursday. So I guess that will be considered rush hour.  The route does go through the city and on a street with a lot of traffic lights (there is an alternative route people can take that goes on the highway for a little bit, and is just slightly longer).  I have looked at many restaurants closer to our church (which is in Hartford, CT).  We couldn't find any that would fit our budget and would have parking.  I don't want my guests to have to worry about parking on the street and then walking to the restaurant (chances are they would not find a spot right in front). We're still looking, but thank you for all the advice!
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:Cake inspiration image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-far-is-too-far-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:416eae99-1db8-466a-91f6-62f8171b8571Post:ef0773af-adae-42ec-9bea-b3c7dfd47abb">Re: How far is too far?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry, I probably should have clarified a little more. The rehearsal will start at 4pm and will probably be over around 5- 5:30, and it will be on a Thursday. So I guess that will be considered rush hour.  The route does go through the city and on a street with a lot of traffic lights (there is an alternative route people can take that goes on the highway for a little bit, and is just slightly longer).  I have looked at many restaurants closer to our church (which is in Hartford, CT).  We couldn't find any that would fit our budget and would have parking.  I don't want my guests to have to worry about parking on the street and then walking to the restaurant (chances are they would not find a spot right in front). We're still looking, but thank you for all the advice!
    Posted by marta119[/QUOTE]

I, too, am very familar with CT.  I know that Hartford is busy... but 7 miles still isn't a very far distance. Maybe you make your reservation a little bit later to allow for any possible traffic concerns?  If people get there earlier they could certainly wait at the bar until the whole party arrived, right?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards