South Carolina-Charleston

Wedding Cakes and Invitations- Not together

Hi Ladies-

Does anyone have recommendations on a bakery for the wedding cake? Duvall is my caterer and I know they will take care of the cake too. Has anyone used Duvall to do their cake and were you pleased with the results? 

Also- Anyone have recommendations on where to look for invitations in Charleston? I am an out of town bride so I may do something in my home town. But Charleston is easy to get to so I am considering Charleston as well. Anyone used Dulles Designs? They are up the street from my FMIL's house. 

Thanks in advance for recommendations. Laughing

Re: Wedding Cakes and Invitations- Not together

• edited December 2011
    I used mac and murphy for my invitations. They are amazing and will work with any budget, and style. They have an adorable little shop on Cannon St. in charleston. 

here is a link to their website

I am using publix for my cake, they give you 3 small cakes to take home and try and they were delicious so we went with them.
  • edited December 2011
    I second Publix for you cakes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Linda Blackwell for my cake. She's really reasonably priced and everything she makes is delicious. www.ibakecakes.com <-- Click :)
    tiffandshel.tumblr.com
    www.tiffandshel.com/wedding

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Linda Blackwell too. I met her at a bridal show and was able to try a lot of different flavors. Let me just tell you, it was a TOUGH decision to come up with which flavor we'd do, but we went with amaretto poppyseed- AMAZING. She has been very easy to work with as well.

For invitations I did Wedding Paper Divas. It was very easy to use and figure out. They had tons of different designs to choose from and they're always running different sales, either for free shipping or a percentage off your total.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We are using d'lish desserts.  Molly is the sweetest person and so easy to work with, and not to mention her cakes taste AMAZING!!!
  • brownsreneebrownsrenee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Cakes by Kasarda.  The tasting was amazing and she's great to work with.  We also used Dulles Designs for our invitations.  Emilie is very sweet and helpful with the wording of the invitations/reply cards.  I definitely recommend her.
  • Mieke7882Mieke7882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I called Dulles Designs yesterday. Waiting for them to call back. I hear good things. Are they pretty expensive? I expect them to be more than others but I am not sure by how much. 
  • Jeni1090Jeni1090 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Invites:  We're using Studio R for a custom design.  They aren't all that pricy for what we picked, and the layers are 100-lb paper.  We paid $9 for each suite (invite, RSVP card, RSVP envelope, lined outer envelope).  Compared to the invites that I kind of liked from Wedding Paper Divas, it came out to $200 more to do custom.  My proof came back 3 days after I dropped off the deposit.

Cake:  We're going off the beaten path since we're not so into cake.  We're using Charleston Crepe Company to do a 3-tiered mille-crepe.  You can order them online, I believe.  Dusted with powdered sugar and adding flowers to "wedding" it up ;)
  • cyndo3cyndo3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am considering going with Publix for my cake too.  Although I have read on here that lots of ladies like their work, I have heard that not all Publix are the same.  Which one in the Charleston area comes most recommended?
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to use Dulles by Design, but couldn't find an invitation that fit my theme.  I actually designed my own and they said they could make them.  Three months later after many tears I went to Kinko's with my design and got all that I asked for less expensive then what I was quoted by Dulles by Design. 

I'm going with Michelangelo's Kitchen for my Cake.  Jacky has wonderful cake options and her portfolio looked awesome.  I'm getting Italian Meringue Icing, 3 tiers, Bavarian creme cake and almond cake w/ lemon meringue filling.  Her price with grooms cake was under what Publix charges for frozen cake with Fondant.  $550

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards