Pre-wedding Parties

Pampered Chef Bridal Shower

My Maid of Honor suggested throwing me a Pampered Chef bridal shower and without really looking into it, I said sure. Then I went to their website and found that all of their stuff is totally overpriced. I don't want my guests buying me kitchen items that they can get on Amazon for a much better price and probably the same quality. 

How do I let my MOH know this without sounding ungrateful? I know she means well, but I feel bad enough that people are us buying gifts, let alone stuff that is just too expensive, especially since my family does not have a lot of money.

In a perfect world, my shower would just be fun games, socializing and eating, no gift giving involved. 

Re: Pampered Chef Bridal Shower

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad you're having 2nd thoughts.  I hate these types of parties anyway and loathe them as showers.  If I'm going to a shower I want to go with my gift in hand - not to attend a sales pitch.

Just say, "You know I've given it more thought and I'm just not comfortable with a Pampered Chef shower.  If you want to throw a shower still that would be fantastic but if it has to be a sales party type thing I'm going to have to say no."
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    banana has given you great advice.  Pampered chef "showers" are not really showers at all, but thinly veiled strong armed sales parties.

I would joyfully attend your shower, unless in was a pampered chef sales party.  Then I'd decline the "party".  I don't attend ANY home sales party.  None.  For any product.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • maria1012maria1012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks to both of you. It seems even more tacky, the more I think about it. In fact, showers, whether tradition or not, seem a bit over the top to me. Someone has to buy you a shower AND a wedding gift. Ugh. 

People would be outraged if I didn't ask for gifts at all, but I'm leaning towards that...
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The point of a shower is to shower the bride with gifts.  So if you don't want gifts, then you really need to decline a shower. 

Have a bridal luncheon or tea which are not gift giving events.  But really, people won't mind giving you shower gifts.  Make a registry and include low and moderately priced items and it will be fine!

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Banana and Trix :-) Glad you thought twice about it!
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_pampered-chef-bridal-shower-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:f6cb967c-10eb-4f01-8dd2-f6b1bd85c7d7Post:7be636e7-6a10-4038-b12a-2fe1be814858">Re: Pampered Chef Bridal Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks to both of you. It seems even more tacky, the more I think about it. In fact, showers, whether tradition or not, seem a bit over the top to me. Someone has to buy you a shower AND a wedding gift. Ugh.  People would be outraged if I didn't ask for gifts at all, but I'm leaning towards that...
    Posted by maria1012[/QUOTE]

Actually people usually factor that in, so it's OK. If I go to shower I'll either give a combined shower/wedding gift or a slightly smaller wedding gift + a shower gift.
  • aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MARIA!  HI :) 

I miss you on the may11 board.  Actually I have been wondering how you are/ how the planning is going.

Sorry to thread jack, just HAD to day hi!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp's I'm not a fan of these types of showers at all. If I were invited to one, I'd still pick a gift off the registry bring it, say congrats, and leave before the sales pitch. Those types of parties make me uncomfortable to begin with, but when it's in the disguise of a bridal shower you feel even more obligated to buy and like the OP mentioned, they're overpriced products that can be found much cheaper elsewhere.

I'd just politely talk to your MOH and tell her thank you so much for the offer, but you'd rather not have a Pampered Chef and would like to just stick to a traditional bridal shower where the guests won't feel uncomfortable.
  • maria1012maria1012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Aggie!

Yes, I took a Knot vacation for a while have only ventured on here for some oddball questions, like this one :)

Hope your planning is going well - not too much longer now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards