Snarky Brides

Pumpkin guts - Anna might know?

Help me out here, because I'm a pumpkin newb. I just carved my first jack o'lantern (FI carved his umpteenth) and now my dining room table is covered in stringy pumpkin guts. Now, I know that the flesh that sticks to the skin can be used for all sorts of recipes, but what about the gooey fiber stuff? Can I just use that the same way that I would the rest of the pumpkin flesh? Is there any difference? Am I even making sense? My internet searches have been inconclusive.
imageimage
Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?

Re: Pumpkin guts - Anna might know?

• I know you can roast the seeds thats all I've got, sorry.

Other then that I always just threw it away. Maybe Anna's got something?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Well I think everyone went back to bed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Haha, indeed.
    imageimage
  • I don't know about using the stringy stuff in cooking, but I know when you roast the seeds you're supposed to clean it all off of them.

Sorry, I am Captain Obvious today.
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • Throw away the stringy pulp - it doesn't break down during the cooking process and is really gross. :(
  • We tried cooking the stringy pulp with seeds once when I was a kid, and it was not good at all. I know it's a lot to throw away, but think of it as one big apple core. You're making good use of the rest of it!

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Thanks guys! I guess I will just do what needs to be done.
    imageimage
  • anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2010
    I usually throw away most of the fibrous guts because I'm lazy, but you could puree them and use them for soup, mix in with some vanilla pudding, or add huge amounts of melty butter and brown sugar..  The flavor can be quite strong though (imo) and because of how fibrous it is, not preferred for a lot of recipes.

I slow roast the seeds and leave a bit of the guts on them.  I love the added flavor burst.  i just salt mine.

When i scrape the inside wall to thin the shell a bit, I save what I scrape off, put it in a baking dish with some butter and brown sugar and cook it until it's soft and sweet.
  • The real question here is why have you never carved a pumpking before? :O
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_pumpkin-guts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4d023a9b-1d53-423d-b18f-9093c00784a7Post:e5af7363-c084-41a5-ad68-0fa6f1835d24">Re: Pumpkin guts - Anna might know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The real question here is why have you never carved a pumpking before? :O
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Haha because I had a weird childhood. :)
    imageimage
  • If you have a garden, that stuff is amazing for nutrients.  And I agree that you should have carved a pumpkin long before now, it was the best part of the year when I was younger.
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Generally, pumpkins used for carving are not used for food. I mean, you can if you want to, but neck pumpkins are much better for cooking than carving pumpkins. Or so my grandma says...
    Mrs. Wiggins image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards