Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Need Cake Advice

Hello,
My wedding is still far off, but I am really in need of some early cake advice from whoever can give it. I am not able to eat sugar icing. It instantly makes me sick, but I still want an elegant and beautiful cake . Does anyone know if a wedding cake can be decorated without the use of sugar icing?
Thanks!

Re: Need Cake Advice

• danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What about a whipped cream frosting?  I'm not sure what you mean by sugar icing, do you mean buttercream?  Or just anything with sugar in it at all?

I would definitely speak with a couple of bakers in  your area and ask what they would recommend.

Also, you don't have to have wedding cake if there's something else you love instead.  At our wedding, we had cheesecakes because my H doesn't really like cake.  Pics in bio linked in my signature.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • pandasquishypandasquishy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does fondant make you sick?  I'm honestly not sure how much/if there's sugar in fondant.  Can you just scrape the icing off your piece?  
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fondant is pure sugar.

Your best bet is whipped cream icing. Those are done mainly on some grocery store cakes but ask around and see if anyone has that option. For an idea of what you can do with whipped cream icing, check out http://www.weddingcakelady.com/index.html since she says she only uses whipped cream on her cakes.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! That really helps! I know I could just scrape off the icing on my piece as suggested above, but I would like to enjoy all of my wedding cake and not let my sensitive stomach get in the way.
    Again thank you!
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

What about doing Strawberry shortcake instead of regular wedding cake?  Or, have your groom's cake with no icing and just have that for your bite (cut that first so you don't get icing on the knife for cross-contamination)...

I'm also with the PP in wondering "what exactly do you mean by no sugar icing?" because that's something you're also going to have to explain to your baker in detail...  There are people who absolutely cannot have sugar alternatives (splenda, aspertame, etc.) but never heard of "no sugar icing"... Even whipped cream in order to be stabilized for being on top of a cake for more than 30 seconds after being whipped needs sugar..  Whipped icings contain tons of sugar too, so I guess it really comes down to what do you mean by "no sugar icing"...  Does it mean no sickeningly sweet icings that hurt your teeth instantly on impact, or something in the ingredients. 

It's also the factor of just because you can't do icing, doesn't mean you should limit it out completely for everyone (including your groom) from having it.  It's one thing if you've got a confirmed allergy/intollerance to a specific ingredient (i.e. a person who is allergic to corn can't have powdered sugar because most contain some level of corn starch... or a person who is completely lactose intolerant can't have butter or milk in the icing), it's another where you don't know what's causing you to not like it to restrict it completely. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards