Just Engaged and Proposals

Cleaning with engagement ring on??!!

So I am in dire need to do some house cleaning....but I'm always nervous to do so with my engagement ring on. I know so many people who keep their jeweley on when cleaning but sometimes i take my ring off and put it somewhere "safe" my sister keeps saying that if i keep doing this im going to loose my ring. im just scared of damaging my ring :0
I know rings go through normal wear and tear- banging it againist the table , washing, putting on lotions, etc. But is is safe to clean with my ring on?

Thanks !
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cleaning with engagement ring on??!!

• I do most things with my ring on.  But I am usually VERy careful not to get like chemical cleaners on it.  And if you are worried about it, then like others have said, put it somwhere safe and clean without it :)
  • i personally wouldn't. just designate a spot that you can always put your ring when you clean so that it's either on your hand or there and there is no risk of losing it.
    5/27/12
  • Either wear gloves or designate a spot to keep your rings when they are not on your finger. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I clean with mine on, and haven't had any issues with it. I do get really dry hands in The winter months though and do use gloves, you could always use gloves if you don't want to take off the ring.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If I'm using bleach or anything like that I take my rings off.  I also take my rings off to do the dishes and put on lotion because I don't like the feel of lotion or water between my rings and finger.  If you don't feel comfortable cleaning with yours on then designate a spot where you always put your rings so you don't misplace them.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'll clean with my wedding band on sometimes, but never my engagement ring.  I have a ceramic cup that I keep my rings in when I'm not wearing them or I keep them in a drawer in the bedside table.  Not sure why your sister thinks you could lose your ring if you're putting it somewhere for safekeeping.
    Do the creep.
  • If you don't feel comfortable cleaning (or doing any other particular activity) with your ring on, then don't.

I mean, really?  It's not like you become un-engaged if you take your ring off.  I don't know you're worried.
  • I wouldn't clean while wearing my ring on or take a shower with it on. I love my jewelry and wouldn't want to take a chance. I would take it off and put it in the box you got it in until you're done cleaning.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a little coaster with sides on my dresser where I keep my everyday jewelry when I'm not wearing it. Nothing gets lost that way. Or keep it on and wear gloves.

I do clean with rings on all the time though (without gloves). Nothing has happened. My mother never takes her rings off, and hasn't for 25 years. Again, nothing has happened. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I clean with my ring on.  I also go to organic chem lab with it on.  I said I wasn't going to, but at this point, I honestly just forget I'm wearing it until halfway through lab.  And for what it's worth, it's fine, and I am pretty careful to keep the super harsh stuff off of it by washing my hands every hour or so.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I put my ring in my jewellery box when I'm cleaning.  But then again I don't wear it around the house much either.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't wear my ring when I clean or do dishes. I have a little jewelery dish where I keep my rings when I take them off so that I won't lose them and will always know where they are.
  • What about just wearing some plastic wrap around your ring while you clean?  That way you can keep it on but nothing will get on it.

I'm just guessing this will work, I just got engaged last night so I have no clue lol.
  • I hardly ever take my ring off.  I shower with it on, clean, do dishes, etc.  I do take it off if I'm making meatloaf b/c that just seems yucky..

If you're concerned about misplacing it you can get a jewelry dish.  a lot of boutiques sell them, you can even get them to match your wedding ware (toasting flutes, cake serving set, etc.)  They usually are just a little dish, often times with a stem so you can slip your ring onto the stem and you know it's not going anywhere. As an example (click)
  • I don't even wash my hands with my engagment ring on, let alone clean with it.  I hate the feeling of water under my ring, and it's a great way to get a rash, but that's me. 

I always put my ring on the dresser or on top of my jewelry box when I'm going to clean or take a shower.  I don't like to bang it around or get all kinds of chemicals on it.

It's a personal choice either way.  If you're going to take it off - have a place you put it each and every time so you don't forget.

• jroxxjroxx member
    First Comment
    I personally take mine off to clean, shower, cook, put lotion on, etc.  I have a ring holder next to the sink in the bathroom, very secure and convenient- got it from Urban Outfitters for $6!  Diamonds are extremely hard to damage though, so you're probably not doing any harm cleaning in it.  Whatever you feel comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards