Wedding Woes
Options

Help wording a response to future MIL about setting a date she didn't like?

Hey ladies. We told all the parents our intended date and waited about a week for input. Just after we deposited on the venue, future MIL emailed to say that the date was OK, but it happened to be  the groom's uncle's 80th BDay (on his dad's side). The groom's dad said it's fine, so I'm less concerned (since it's his brother turing 80). But I sense groom's mom may be slightly concerned. I want to respond to her aknowledging the date conflict and smoothing the waters, but without apologizing or offering to change the date.

I want to say something like, "We did send the deposit for that date, since it has special meaning to us, and it works well with our work schedules. Hopefully groom's dad's family can make it work, if there's a BDay celebration the same day." Maybe add that we're happy to honor Uncle's bday at the wedding?

Any additional suggestions? We just started planning, so any advice on keeping future in-laws happy helps!

Re: Help wording a response to future MIL about setting a date she didn't like?

• Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't apologize, or make any excuses. Instead just say, "What a happy coincidence! Do you think he would be embarrassed if we had a birthday cake for him and sang him happy birthday at the reception?"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ravenaveryravenavery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, that is a good idea! It's not an awkward planning choice ... it's a happy coincidence!

Raven
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Butter Cookie has great advice. 

It's hard to pick a date that doesn't conflict with anything else, be it a birthday, another wedding, or someone's vacation plans (all things that we have contended with ourselves).  Do your best to include him if he's comfortable with it, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards