New York-Hudson Valley

Rooms at the Pok Grand

I'm getting married at the Grandview and called the Pok Grand to confirm my room block info.  Then I went on their website to make sure the info they gave me was correct before sending it to some relatives who have been asking. 

Well the room block rate is $159 and if you search their website for that weekend without putting in my room block code, the rooms are $109!

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?  I just searched on the Pok Grand's reservation system, I didn't use expedia or any promotional codes or anything. 

Do I call and complain (what if they then raise the regular rate instead of lowering my group code rate)? 

Or do I just leave it alone and tell friends and family to check the regular rate before booking with the group code?  The problem with that is if people are booking without the group code I have no way of knowing how many have booked unless I ask them directly.  But I'd much rather my guests save $50/night!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rooms at the Pok Grand

• edited December 2011
    Yes. It sucks. But it does happen. Our hotel "block rate" was $125. That included breakfast. The normal rate for the room ended up being $109.

HOWEVER, we discovered the lower rate because my uncle wasn't able to reserve in the block. So when he reserved, my block deadline had passed.

This was a week before the wedding, and there was nothing at that point we could do. (We were told that sometimes last minute bookings can score a better rate than someone who books months in advance)

You have time, so you might as well ask if they can adjust your block rate. Especially, since you noticed it this early!

GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I would call and talk to someone at the hotel. I think our room block rate was either $109 or $129 at the Grand, though that was in 2009. Regardless, a $50 disrepancy is pretty big, and I would discuss it with them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I just checked since I'm getting married the weekend before you at the Grand, and the hotel is listing a rate of $179 for my weekend and for yours.  Maybe a glitch???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_rooms-pok-grand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:e9ba4081-ef40-432f-aed8-f8b285687a4aPost:dc4a5799-c7e4-43a7-8f93-6689b3ea1963">Re: Rooms at the Pok Grand</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just checked since I'm getting married the weekend before you at the Grand, and the hotel is listing a rate of $179 for my weekend and for yours.  Maybe a glitch???
    Posted by spinwife[/QUOTE]

You're right, now it is showing a higher rate.  How strange.  Maybe something weird was going on. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We just attended a wedding there & the room block rate that we paid was $139.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm.. I'd be interested to see what they would say.  If you call, let me know.  I am a Grandview bride as well with a room block, but haven't checked the prices.  I'm sure they are high b/c my wedding is May 20, the weekend of most college graduations in the area.

geessshhh.. just more to worry about!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_rooms-pok-grand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:e9ba4081-ef40-432f-aed8-f8b285687a4aPost:c7d64c1e-ae60-4964-a8fd-697dce9e0f72">Re: Rooms at the Pok Grand</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm.. I'd be interested to see what they would say.  If you call, let me know.  I am a Grandview bride as well with a room block, but haven't checked the prices.  I'm sure they are high b/c my wedding is May 20, the weekend of most college graduations in the area. geessshhh.. just more to worry about!
    Posted by KAttanasio[/QUOTE]

If you ladies are the weekend of West Point's graduation, make sure you tell your guests to reserve their rooms ASAP!
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't call them because it looks like the $109 rate I got when searching was a glitch.  I know I was searching October but the rate that came back was for December. 

It looks like they charge different rates depending on the season (based on how demand fluctuates).  Of course prime leaf peeping season would be the most expensive. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • timelady77timelady77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The same thing happened to me. I called Michelle (my coordinator) and was told that happens some times and that my guest should feel free to book at the lower rate. She would not lower my block rate and said that the hotel did not do that. The block rates are set by weekend, depending on if something makes them think it will be a busy weekend. That's why you might be at a wedding one weekend with rooms for $129 and the next for $179. It sucks and it's the only thing I really don't like about the Grand. If anyone has better luck getting their rate changed let me know!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards