North Carolina-Outer Banks

Wedding website? Facebook page?

Hi Everyone, We just started planning our July 2013 wedding in Duck! (Yay, it's so nice to have a location now!) A little back ground, I don't have any family and my FI has a HUGE family! He is deployed in the military right now so we only communicate via email! 

We're in VA and most of his family lives in Ohio and Florida! I thought because we are having a destination wedding and in this age of technology, that I would like to do something to get the information out to people. I just started using FB and I know it is a good way to communicate with friends and family but it is also public information. Would we be better setting up a wedding website? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you! 

Re: Wedding website? Facebook page?

• Congrats on finding a location!

I think a wedding website is a very helpful way to communicate important info with your guests.  There are several different options.  I used ewedding.com because I liked that I could purchase my own domain name, which I put onto the save-the-dates and invitations (instead of having a really long URL, it made it easier to share with others - not sure which other websites give you that option).  On the website I had information about the Outer Banks (where to stay, what to do, where to eat, Norfolk airport info, etc.), a place to RSVP online, our registry links, info on the wedding day events, pictures, etc.  I think to have the RSVP feature, it cost $10 a month (so I had that only for a few months), but without that it was $5 a month for the domain name - which is pretty standard for owning a domain name. 

There are some others that might look prettier.  projectwedding.com/ourwedding is one that I've seen used a bit.  TheKnot has a way to set up wedding websites.  And if you google "wedding website" a bunch of others will pop up.  If you haven't sent save-the-dates out yet, then I would try to make a website a.s.a.p. and include the link on whatever you choose to mail out.  Your guests will appreciate it and can start to look at what their options are on where to stay.
    image June 22, 2012
  • I would suggest a wedding website instead of a Facebook page, only because (believe it or not!) not everyone has a Facebook. 

The Knot has nice wedding websites, and we paid a little extra to customize our website name. I like it a lot!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_wedding-website-facebook-page?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:9fd2446c-cfd0-42d6-8464-6f966798e444Post:c7f4f591-2f79-48ad-990f-174a0871fd42">Re: Wedding website? Facebook page?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would suggest a wedding website instead of a Facebook page, only because (believe it or not!) not everyone has a Facebook.  The Knot has nice wedding websites, and we paid a little extra to customize our website name. I like it a lot!
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

Congrats on finding your location!  You can feel good that you got one of the biggest things out of the way....now everything else can fall in place :)

PP's gave some good advice and another reason to stay away from FB is b/c there may be some FB friends you have that you may not necessarily be inviting to the wedding and you may not want them to find the information about it so easily. There are a lot of different formats for wedding websites and I am sure you can find one that suits your tastes. I used the one through TK and was very happy with it.

• tstar145tstar145 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I would recommend a wedding website too, and we also did a customized address. We went through wedding window; I'm not sure of the details on the pricing but I don't think it was too much. We're going to do RSVPs online, so hopefully that works out well for us!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards