Not Engaged Yet

Stupid sick cat is costing us our honeymoon :-( Plus it's finals week!

Our cat has been sick for a few weeks and yesterday he went in for an ultrasound.  They found "sandy sludge" in his bladder that needs to be surgically removed, and they can do that on Monday when they remove all of his teeth (his immune system is attacking his roots).  Neither is unexpected, he's had blood in his urine but no infection and bladder stones were the best guess from the beginning.  His grandparents were siblings, and his teeth have sucked since they started to grow in.

The bad news is, he may have lymphoma, too!  So they're doing PCR on a sample they took yesterday and when they have him open on Monday they'll take liver and pancreas biopsies as well because both look abnormal.  Luckily or not I'm a molecular oncology student so although  I don't know much about feline cancer, I know a lot about the diagnostic tools and treatment options.  If I had the feline primers I would have the PCR done myself by now, my old lab has a top-of-the-line QRT-PCR from their HHMI money and it probably would have been more accurate...

Anyhow, it just sucks.  We love our cat, he's only just 3 years old and super spunky and happy.  Neither of us can believe he has cancer, and after looking at the data I'm in agreement w/ the vet that it looks more chronic stress/infection related than cancerous. 

It's just super stressful to have our happy little kitty be so sick, and we're canceled the honeymoon because his care has completely drained our savings accounts, and it's finals week!!!!  AAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

imageimageAnniversary

Re: Stupid sick cat is costing us our honeymoon :-( Plus it's finals week!

• hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oh my goodness, I can't believe that your cat is that sick! What does his prognosis look like?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Oh no! I'm so sorry. He's too young
     to be so sick!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The prognosis is good as long as he doesn't have cancer.  Once we remove his teeth and the crystals from his bladder the chronic infection issues should be gone.  ~95% "cure" rate.

If he has cancer, he'll have about a year left of good quality life and we'll go from there.  We won't put him though treatment, I don't think it's worth it to anyone.  I should note, too, that I don't think most people should go through chemo when the odds are so low because I know the risks vs. chances of benefits a bit too well. 
    imageimageAnniversary
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh honey.  That sucks! I'm really sorry to hear you guys are going thru all this stress!  Hopefully it's not cancer and kitty will feel better soon.
    *hugs*

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    *hugs*

At first I was kind of upset about your title, but reading your OP I understand. You're frustrated and this is tough, but you're doing the best you can for him. It sucks about your honeymoon, but you can do a honeymoon later! Ours will be about 6 months after our wedding due to money and school.

You could still do a mini-moon where you just stay at a nice hotel for the weekend or something.

I hope your kitty is cancer-free and will live a long, happy, spunky life! I assume since he'll be losing his teeth he'll be eating wet food from now on? That will help prevent bladder problems from what I hear. Plus, he'll probably get chubby. lol

My cats get a little wet food treat every day and they LOVE it. They're also both a little on the chubbier side as far as cats go. Wink
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Lol, yeah, we don't actually think our cat is stupid!  We love him a ridiculous amount, actually, otherwise we wouldn't be going into debt having all these procedures. 

He will actually get the same diet he does now- a can of wet food plus all he can eat dry food.  They say he doesn't chew anyway because his teeth are so painful, so he'll actually have an easier time w/ the dry food once his teeth are gone. Because he's hairless he has a super fast metabolism; he eats over a pound of high-cal dry food a day and still weighs barely 8 lbs!
    imageimageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Holy cow, that's a lot of food!

Like, REALLY a lot!

Ours get about a tablespoon of wet food each day, and about 3/4 cup each high-protein, grain-free dry food.

Being rescues, we have to split up their meals or they'll eat until the bowl is empty and then demand more. Funny enough, it's Pounce that begs the most- and he was rescued as a kitten. He's never been hungry a day in his life! Maybe he was bullied out of food at his foster home. I dunno.

Etcetera will eat anything. She tries to steal pizza crusts off our plates, and heaven forbid we get Chinese food. She goes CRAZY trying to get into that. Sushi drives her nuts. We suspect she was a dumpster-diving kitty before she was rescued. Must have been some restaurants nearby. This weekend I'll ask her former foster mom about the area, just out of curiosity.

Tell us about your little guy! I want to hear some fun stories about him. Laughing
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We have rescue horses like that- they get fed everyday at 7:30 am and 4:30 pm (plus some get lunch) and at exactly 7:30 and 4:30 the four who were starved start screaming at the top of their lungs.  Previously all my horses got free-choice hay then grain and alfalfa as needed twice per day, but these guys will scarf down anything you give them as fast as possible and then beg for more!  They can't be in with trees, they'll eat all the bark off them, and we had one guy who would eat the wood off the side of his shelter.  Not chew, EAT.  Totally bizarre!

Mr Mewton is such a cool cat, he has a ton of personality!  Once people get over his gargoyle-esk looks, everyone loves him.  If you don't, he works hard to change your mind.  Our friend hates cats, so Mr Mewton jumped into her lap and motorboated her until she started laughing and petting him.  He likes to jump into your arms when you come home, and once he leaped into the arms of the UPS guy, scared the cr@p out of him!  He gives hugs, puts his paws around your neck and leans the side of his head against your neck and purrs while you carrying him around.  We take him for walks on a leash and the neighborhood kids just adore him.  He lets them pick him up and carry him around like a rag doll, purring the whole time.  He sleeps between us, under the covers with his head on the pillow.  He's just such a great kitty! 

imageimageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Here's the snuggy butt!

imageimageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    LOL, he cracks me up!

He seems very sweet and fun to be around. Laughing
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I read your title and was a little upset too at first but I understand now :)

AWW. I'm so sorry hun! We just had to put our 5 year old lab down because he had cancer and I know how stressful it can be with finals approaching. It can really mess you up and I lost focus on EVERYTHING when we went through our ordeal.

I hope you get good news.
    imageimageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry your kitty isn't doing well. Keep us posted on his progress, and best wishes!
  • BlueBoxBrideBlueBoxBride member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll keep your kitty in my thoughts. I know what it's like to lose a pet and not from old age... It's still a loss and I consider pets to be family members :( 

I know some cranky person will probably disagree with me, but I think you can take your honeymoon whenever. It doesn't need to be right after your wedding or within a certain time frame to still be a honeymoon. To me, a honeymoon is a trip where two people celebrate their marriage. It can happen at any time and you don't need to go to the islands to make it count. When my parents eloped, they went to Napa for their honeymoon and rode a dinner train back to L.A. I think it was literally a two day trip... 

We're taking an "engagementmoon" (or what was intended to be when it was booked), and while someone will probably think it's retarded... we don't really care what others say is in good form. We want a trip celebrating our relationship and we're the ones in it, so who cares what is traditional? 
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • mrs.rabmrs.rab member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    awww your baby looks so sweet!!! wishing you guys all of the best :))))
    imageimageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards