Interfaith Weddings

Interfaith Ceremony Program

I've been to several interfaith weddings where the program outlines all of the traditions that are included in the ceremony.  Of course, I didn't bother to keep any of them! Now that it's my turn, I'm hoping that someone can suggest a template that exists out there somewhere...?
Thanks!

Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program

• Juliet212Juliet212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Too funny.. I am looking for the SAME THING!! Let me know if you find a progam you can share with me also. Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    So far all i've really found is chelsea clinton's program -- it's a start, worth googling for!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, I just found it.

Side note, doesn't it seem that most of the program has mostly Jewish traditions?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, it seems like they had a lot of explaining to do on the Jewish side! I don't know if that's because there were no other traditions, or they just didn't feel the need to explain them...?

My FI is Catholic-- the only tradition we've really thought of is the unity candle.  Are you planning on incorporating anything else? We're trying to keep things 50/50 (both a Rabbi and Priest are marrying us) but it might look a little lopsided if we don't come up with more Catholic elements....
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the unity candle is not a catholic tradition. It was invented on a soap opera.

Catholic rituals have very deep meaning to the faith, they are not merely cultural elements to add for show.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_interfaith-ceremony-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:396Discussion:4b8553cd-ce57-4f34-96a8-bc0745a1e595Post:a0f49717-5326-460e-9719-93a247c93083">Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, it seems like they had a lot of explaining to do on the Jewish side! I don't know if that's because there were no other traditions, or they just didn't feel the need to explain them...? My FI is Catholic-- the only tradition we've really thought of is the unity candle.  Are you planning on incorporating anything else? We're trying to keep things 50/50 (both a Rabbi and Priest are marrying us) but it might look a little lopsided if we don't come up with more Catholic elements....
    Posted by CountDownToMrs[/QUOTE]

Same! I am Catholic and FI is Jewish. We are going to be 50/50 so no religion is offended or seem slighted. We are also doing a unity candle. I guess that is it for program worthy explanations.

Are you doing the seven blessings?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_interfaith-ceremony-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:396Discussion:4b8553cd-ce57-4f34-96a8-bc0745a1e595Post:1bcda3e7-3e29-4e28-88f5-a6826b202b54">Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]the unity candle is not a catholic tradition. It was invented on a soap opera. Catholic rituals have very deep meaning to the faith, they are not merely cultural elements to add for show.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Wow. I didn't know that. But for all intents and purposes, the priest will be performing the unity candle and we will explain it as a Catholic wedding tradition.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am working on ours currently and would be happy to share when we are done. But our ceremony is basically just a Jewish ceremony, with some verbal acknowledgement that we are marrying two faiths together. My FI is Catholic and since we can't have a legal church marriage with a mass there is very little tradition we can bring into our ceremony.

I'm using my program as a way for any non-Jewish guests, which will be quite a few, to be able to follow along and understand why each part of the ceremony is done.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_interfaith-ceremony-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:396Discussion:4b8553cd-ce57-4f34-96a8-bc0745a1e595Post:669b4cce-8cbe-48e6-8754-47a8f7cf349e">Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am working on ours currently and would be happy to share when we are done. But our ceremony is basically just a Jewish ceremony, with some verbal acknowledgement that we are marrying two faiths together. My FI is Catholic and since we can't have a legal church marriage with a mass there is very little tradition we can bring into our ceremony. I'm using my program as a way for any non-Jewish guests, which will be quite a few, to be able to follow along and understand why each part of the ceremony is done.
    Posted by Miracle520[/QUOTE]

Thanks Miracle... I would love to check it out when you are finished. =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for your input, agapecarrie -- since it is an interfaith ceremony, we are not including deeply religious elements, but rather sticking to traditions which are meaningful to both of us and our families -- perhaps they're "added for show" but they are important to us.
    The Priest we are working with explained that there is absolutely no religious significance to the unity candle, however it is traditionally included in Catholic ceremonies these days.  I've never seen it done at a Jewish wedding so I would consider it a Catholic tradition. Similarly, the breaking of the glass has no religious significance in a Jewish wedding, but continues to be meaningful as a part of the ceremony.

Miracle- I'd also love to see your final product, definitely let us know when your project is complete!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_interfaith-ceremony-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:4b8553cd-ce57-4f34-96a8-bc0745a1e595Post:3413dda8-56f1-4ed0-8c96-82153c5d00b6">Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your input, agapecarrie -- since it is an interfaith ceremony, we are not including deeply religious elements, but rather sticking to traditions which are meaningful to both of us and our families -- perhaps they're "added for show" but they are important to us. The Priest we are working with explained that there is absolutely no religious significance to the unity candle, however it is traditionally included in Catholic ceremonies these days.  I've never seen it done at a Jewish wedding so I would consider it a Catholic tradition. Similarly, the breaking of the glass has no religious significance in a Jewish wedding, but continues to be meaningful as a part of the ceremony. Miracle- I'd also love to see your final product, definitely let us know when your project is complete!
    It is actually a protestant tradition, not catholic. The bishops just wrote about this that it should not be taking place at Catholic weddings. many priests will not allow it at a Catholic marriage.
  • edited December 2011
    Well I didn't realize that Protestants took their traditions from soap operas. Thank you for sharing all of these fun facts.

There are also Priests that will not allow an interfaith ceremony, and I'm sure all of the Bishops will write that they shouldn't be taking place. Luckily, we found an amazing Priest and Rabbi team that have been co-officiating for over 15 years and are supportive of any traditions - "for show" or not - that we want to include. After all, it's OUR wedding.

Now back to the search for the ceremony program that we came here for...!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_interfaith-ceremony-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:4b8553cd-ce57-4f34-96a8-bc0745a1e595Post:2973a085-21b5-4e28-876a-96694c150547">Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I didn't realize that Protestants took their traditions from soap operas. Thank you for sharing all of these fun facts. There are also Priests that will not allow an interfaith ceremony, and I'm sure all of the Bishops will write that they shouldn't be taking place. Luckily, we found an amazing Priest and Rabbi team that have been co-officiating for over 15 years and are supportive of any traditions - "for show" or not - that we want to include. After all, it's OUR wedding. Now back to the search for the ceremony program that we came here for...!

Actually, .Catholics can marry validly to non-Catholics...both baptized and non, but it has to be done with the proper dispensations and such for it to be considered valid in the Catholic church.

If this priest is not following through with these, then he is most likely had his faculties removed and the marriage won't be considered valid for CathoIics. I understand that might not be important to you, which is fine, but it might matter to some which is why I mention it.
  • edited December 2011

Aaaaaaand that has what, exactly, to do with my ceremony programs?

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_interfaith-ceremony-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:4b8553cd-ce57-4f34-96a8-bc0745a1e595Post:47afae94-5646-4a3c-9ca4-9e2227003689">Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aaaaaaand that has what, exactly, to do with my ceremony programs?

I guess I don't understand if you are upset? As I said, for some, they do want their marriage recognized by the Catholic church and think that getting a priest (even if they don't have faculties) secures that for them, which it doesn't. I was trying to be helpful to you in case it was important to you.
    You wrote about something that was incorrect about the catholic faith. (interfaith weddings) I corrected it. That's all.
  • edited December 2011

I'm not upset-- you're just in the wrong forum, sharing information on a totally irrelevant subject. 

My personal ceremony/ religious details have been worked out with our officiants.
    Now I just want to create a program for the ceremony, and you won't stop hijacking the thread.
    No need to reply unless you have an interfaith ceremony program to share, in which case I would love to take a look at it.

• carmen9311carmen9311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you ask your friends/family members that had previous weddings if they still have a version of their program? The most likely saved it somewhere so you can just call them up and ask. I'm sure they would be flattered that you remembered their program!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone here have a Rabbi and Priest that married them where the marriage is still valid in the catholic church?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_interfaith-ceremony-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:4b8553cd-ce57-4f34-96a8-bc0745a1e595Post:2973a085-21b5-4e28-876a-96694c150547">Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I didn't realize that Protestants took their traditions from soap operas. Thank you for sharing all of these fun facts. There are also Priests that will not allow an interfaith ceremony, and I'm sure all of the Bishops will write that they shouldn't be taking place. Luckily, we found an amazing Priest and Rabbi team that have been co-officiating for over 15 years and are supportive of any traditions - "for show" or not - that we want to include. After all, it's OUR wedding. Now back to the search for the ceremony program that we came here for...!

<div>
    </div><div>I wish there was a "like" function on this site so that I could like your reply. </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_interfaith-ceremony-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:4b8553cd-ce57-4f34-96a8-bc0745a1e595Post:ddda72fd-df13-42cc-a02a-5272586dfa84">Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not upset-- you're just in the wrong forum, sharing information on a totally irrelevant subject.  My personal ceremony/ religious details have been worked out with our officiants. Now I just want to create a program for the ceremony, and you won't stop hijacking the thread. No need to reply unless you have an interfaith ceremony program to share, in which case I would love to take a look at it.

<div>Again THANK YOU! I am having a Jewish/Catholic Wedding ceremony and posted basically the same question asking for reading suggestions and got replies from so many people who just ASSUMED (based on what?) that I don't know i need dispensations and telling me all about Catholic Rules.  I had a hard time getting any answers about my ACTUAL question.  </div><div>I like this one from corinthians (bible):</div><div><a href="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13&version=NIV" rel="nofollow">http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13&version=NIV</a></div><div>
    </div><div>and this one from Gensis (torah):</div><div><a href="http://foryourmarriage.org/old-testament-readings/" rel="nofollow">http://foryourmarriage.org/old-testament-readings/</a></div><div>
    </div><div>hoping people will add more ideas to your post since mine was also highjacked.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_interfaith-ceremony-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:4b8553cd-ce57-4f34-96a8-bc0745a1e595Post:a4ad171b-836a-4376-8fae-e71889454efe">Re: Interfaith Ceremony Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone here have a Rabbi and Priest that married them where the marriage is still valid in the catholic church?
    Posted by rmautner[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>My Marriage hasn't happened yet but it will be valid in the catholic church.</div><div>We are getting married by Rabbi Ari Fridkis (Temple of Universal Judaism) and Father Thomas Leonard (Holy Trinity UWS) is saying a blessing.</div><div>You just need to go to your parish and make sure  you get the dispensations and you guys will both have to do pre-cana. It's really not that hard or complicated.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards