New York-New York City

Looking for a NYC loft-style space for 300+ guests! anything but a catering hall!

Having worked in catering halls for years I just can't fathom having our wedding in one. My dream is to have our reception in a NYC loft but it's looking like our large italian families and guests (prob 300+) will not fit in one (sit down required). Can anyone suggest a large loft or loft-style venue for this amount of people? In or around NYC. Looking for something cool and modern. Thanks!!!
October 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Looking for a NYC loft-style space for 300+ guests! anything but a catering hall!

• edited December 2011
    You're going to have a hard time finding a venue in NY that fits 300 - they're far and few between - Cipriani's, Gotham Hall, Pier 60 (Manhattan) / Stage 6 and Bklyn Museum of Art (Bklyn)  to name a few...but to now restrict it to being a loft - it's going to be tough. You can TRY Studio 450 or Tribeca Rooftop - but I wouldn't recomend more than 250 there, and you still have to make sure they can hold up to that many guests.
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think even studio 450 is not big enough for 300+ seated dinner. Maybe the Foundry?

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    Foundry in LIC only fits about 160 comfortably (outside/under the tent)...no way for 300.  The Metropolitan Building in LIC can only do up to about 275/280 max...NYC doesn't really lend itself to 'larger' weddings w/out a larger budget.
  • edited December 2011
    Try LaVenue.
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what about Metropolitan Pavillion in Chelsea? I know someone that got married there. The space is huge.

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at the Lighthouse at Chelsea Piers and it is a huge space (~10,000 square feet).  We're having just over 200 but I'm pretty sure it can hold 300+ people.  Chelsea Piers also has another event space, Pier Sixty, that I'm pretty sure is even bigger than the Lighthouse.  It definitely doesn't have a catering hall feel (we did not want that at all either) and it has beautiful water views and an outdoor area and big windows that can be opened on a nice day.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies! I'm looking into Metro Pavilion and LaVenue. Also it doesn't have to be a "loft" just anything that is not a catering hall. Has anyone been to/ heard of Skylight One Hanson in Brooklyn? http://www.skylightnyc.com/onehanson/ This place looks amazing. I'm just looking for something different! 
    October 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your engagement!

Not exactly loft space but you might want to check out Gustovino's (@ the 59th Street Bridge.)  It is a unique space - cool vaulted ceilings.  Not sure how pricey it is but it's worth a look.

Also the Edison Ball Room might be a good option...Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I actually had to postpone my wedding, so my date (Saturday, Aug 7th) is open at Bridgewaters in the South Street Seaport.  It can fit 300 and doesn't have a catering hall feel.  It overlooks the Brooklyn Bridge.  It's a beautiful space. 
  • angelbondangelbond member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just posted this somewhere else (I swear I don't work for the venue!), but we're having our wedding for 250 people at Skylight West on 36th and 10th.  There are 3 very large floors (~5000 sf each) that all have different feels, but very loft-like (one is all white, one is white with windows all around, and one is the rooftop).  http://www.skylightnyc.com/west/ if you want to check it out.  Good luck!
  • vienna1121vienna1121 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    how about the puck building?
  • edited December 2011
    jlizzio if you found a venue without food check out Mimi's Fusion of Flavors.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards