DC

Cakes are SO over-rated!

mLoudenmLouden member
First Comment
Heyoo fellow knotties! Does anyone else think that spending $700 on a wedding cake is ridiculous? By the time anyone gets around to eating it, they're already stuffed full of passed hors d'oeuvres, champagne, and filet! I personally have never had a good-tasting cake, and fondant is disgusting. 

Any suggestions for inexpensive, delicious wedding cakes out there in the D.C. area!? 

xoxo

Re: Cakes are SO over-rated!

• edited December 2011
    I agree, it's crazy how much they cost!  We're considering doing cupcakes, seems a lot cheaper and can be just as nice.  Have you thought about that?
  • edited December 2011
    I paid $220 for my wedding cake.  Margie from Artistic Cake Creations.  She used to be a board fav back when I first started coming here.  She's based out of Charles Town, WV, but will deliver for a reasonable price.  Her cakes are delicious, and at the time I signed my contract only $1.50/slice.  She books up fast, though...
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about getting a cake from a grocery store (I'm told there are fabulous ones available!)?
  • edited December 2011
    I did not have a cake, and did not miss it!
  • beautifulbizbeautifulbiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    depends on how many people you have but unique bakery in fairfax is great, he makes and delivers his own cakes so it keeps the price down, $3.50 for buttercream and fresh strawberry filling!
  • edited December 2011
    I am doing Georgetown Cupcake and it is about $2 a cupcake one you go over 9 dozen (108 cupcakes) and they will deliver for $10 anywhere inside the beltway. My little way of bringing in some DC flavor.
  • edited December 2011
    i agree but we also didn't want to go to the cupcake route either. our cake will cost just under $700 but given the photo op, the tradition of slicing into it, etc., eh...it was expensive but we think it's worth it. plus the flavors are just so freaking good...we're going with Fluffy Thoughts in McLean. try her hazelnut filling with nutella spread...it's sooooooo good, it will convert a non-caker into a believer!! Laughing 
  • edited December 2011
    Fondant is disgusting, but a cake can be beautiful and delcious with buttercream frosting.  Cake is one of the few things I cared about and it had to come from Sticky Fingers.  It was expensive, but it was amazing. 
  • edited December 2011
    They are cheaper if you go with buttercream frosting. Fodnat is gross and whpo like to chew your frosting. I am using Jeneva's Ckaes in Calvert County. Her cakes are extremely moist and teh anniversary tier is just as moist a year later.  She is doing both the Brides cake and the Grooms cake.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Sweet Sue's in Calvert.  DELICIOUS.  Worth every penny.  And she suggested a ton of cost saving options without me even bringing it up.  So gold stars all the way around for her!!
  • cmeyer3946cmeyer3946 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did cupcakes.  We spent half of what we'd spend on a regular cake (about $300) and everyone went bananas for them.  People kept going back for more.  We still had a cake topper and they decorated strawberries for the bride and groom.  I definitely would suggest cupcakes if your looking for an alternative.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards