Chit Chat
Options

Non wedding related but...

How long is your commute to work? If it's a long commute, is it bareable?

Sorry this is so random! I just found out today that when I move after the wedding I might be taking on an hour and a half commute each way. OR I could move to dreaded suburbia (no offense to those of you in suburbia but I'm 22 and it's not for me yet).

Re: Non wedding related but...

• Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    My commute on the subway is about an hour each way. I just read. It doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2010
    My current commute is about 35 minutes - not bad.

When I lived in L.A., I lived 28 miles from work and it was 1.5 hour commute each way.  It was torture.  If your commute is a straight shot - meaning no traffic - I think that would be almost bearable.

When I spent 3 hours a day in traffic, I was resentful, moody and hated every minute.  If you live in the 'burbs, who's to say to can't make it to the city on the weekends.
  • Options
    My commute is about 25 minutes.  But damn I couldn't imagine a 1.5 hour commute everyday.  I wouldn't be able to handle that.
  • Options
    45 minutes each way and on back roads...if I went freeway would have to leave an hour early to get there and stay an hour and a half late to get home without being in gridlocked traffic. So half the time it's 40 mph (I mean, that's the posted mph, I'm not much for obeying speed limits)...Fortunately I work from home 2 or 3 days a week (props to my awesome boss!).
    "It is never to late to become what you might have been..."
  • Options
    I drive an hour each way to work. It sucks, but I carpool so it's not too terrible. And our company has a carpool incentive program.
  • Options
    18 minutes.  I wouldn't be able to deal with a long commute.
  • Options
    10 minutes...but i live in a small town
  • Options
    45 minutes.  Used to be 8 minutes.  DAMN my promotion!  I get road rage so yeah it sucks.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

about 15 minutes, which is fine. when i worked in the city it was about 30 minutes on the train, i just read or played on my ipod touch. not bad.

FI had two long commutes, one into norwalk, ct (about 45 minutes) the other into northern jersey, about 45 minutes again. he didn't mind too much, he doesn't mind driving. it sucked though since he wouldn't get home until like 7 and he had to leave for work around 7am (he's IT, they start at 8).

• Options
    About 50 minutes each way.  In the morning, I listen to a fun progressive talk radio show (Stephanie Miller), so that helps.  The way home can be a little rough, though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    About 20 min. When I still lived back home, I walked to work, right out of my apt complex and across the parking lot. I miss it so much. It had me spoiled.
  • Options
    My commute is about ten minutes each way. For Dallas traffic, that's not bad at all. Well, its not bad for anywhere actually! My FI has about a 35 minute commute each way. He's from Dallas originally and when we moved here, he wanted me to be close to my job since I get lost pretty easily. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    8 minutes in the morning but about 10-12 minutes on the way home. I live in one suburb of Columbus and work in another.  It's a pretty straight shot from my house right to work.  I LOVE it. We moved to this house about 7 years ago. Prior to that, while I lived in the same suburb, I took the freeway to the other suburb. It didn't seem stressful to me, was about 15 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes home. Once we moved and I started driving this route I realized the Freeway was more stressful than I'd realized.

My brother lives in a really rural village and kept talking about how he couldn't stand living where I do, all the traffic, long drive to work etc.  I told him it takes me 8 minutes to work - it takes him 20 to get to town.  He shut up.

I am 15 minutes west of the Ohio State Campus, downtown Columbus (including the Short North, Arena District, German Village areas)...  Our house is really in a great location, suburban but really fast access to everything else.
  • Options
    I commute via train so it's about 45 min each way.  I give me plenty of time to enjoy my coffee, read, listen to music or sleep. 

As for dreaded suburbia, maybe you can find a suburb that is young and trendy.  when I was 22 and bought my first condo it wasn't in Chicago but in a suburb Oak Park.

I was cool, lot of singles, recently married and young families and I was only 15 min from downtown.
  • Options
    Mine is about 6 or 7 minutes without traffic, but there's normally redonkulous traffic and I only live a few exits away, but the traffic can come to a complete standstill sometimes because the idiots around here don't know how to merge.. and when it's raining or snowing.. forget it! On those days it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour which is crazy considering how close I live to work.
  • Options
    Let me start by saying I live in Los Angeles and traffic sucks pretty much any day of the week and anytime! I travel 56 miles round trip to work! However FI and I carpool so the way into work takes about 15-25mins not bad considering I have to drive through downtown. The way home is a different story we have to get off when carpool ends which is right before downtown and take streets. Normally it take about 40min. If I were to take the train it's about an 45mins to an hour each way.
  • Options
    well, i work from home and i used to love it {3 1/2 yrs ago when i started} now i hate it and after the wedding/honeymoon i am going to look for a new job so idk how long that will be. hopefully no more than 20-30 min
  • Options
    I'm with bbyckes.  When DH and I got married, I moved in with him, and it was an hour away from my old home and from my job.  With rush hour traffic, it was an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and 45, and once or twice it took 2 hours.  I was so miserable.  It made me so grumpy.  When you do that, you're adding 15-20 hours to your week.  Take how many hours a week you work, add 15-20 to it, and think about what a work week that long feels like.  If I had an 8-5 gig, I maybe could do it, but with busy seasons and long nights, no way.  I was so so miserable.

I finally got a job in town, and I have a 10 minute commute.  Sometimes I leave my house at the time I'm supposed to arrive at the office and I still beat my boss to work. 
  • Options
    Mine is about 4 minutes.  Yeah, I'm lucky now but when I was going to school my commute was 1 hour each way.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards