Not Engaged Yet

Pre-travel Nerves

Does anyone else get anxious before traveling? 

I get this awful travel anxiety.  Before BF and I went to Europe together, I was all bloated and nauseous and freaking out! We also were taking separate flights and I started my period the next day, just in time for my international flight! There's nothing like being stuck in a plane for 9 hours with awful cramps that you can do nothing about!

I am trying to nip my travel anxiety in the bud before Peru.  My kitty is staying with my sister (since Monday :( ), so I will be all alone the night before I leave to Peru and won't be able to talk to BF since he is in Germany.

My main freak-out about Peru is that I have GERD, which means that I can't eat fried and fatty foods but all that they eat is fried and fatty food!  I am taking loads of cliff bars, gu, and dried fruits.

Anyone have advice on dealing with travel anxiety? Anything you do to distract yourself from it?

Re: Pre-travel Nerves

• msjenna519msjenna519 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2013
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I have terrible travel anxiety. I get panic attacks. I make lists and timetables. I pack at least a week ahead of time. I make sure I have more than enough time to get everywhere I need to get. I'm the crazy person who always shows up at least 2 hours early to the airport. I make sure my Mp3 player is loaded with songs and that my Kindle has at least 2 new books for me to read. I wear no metal at the airport and I try to pack everything in a carry on bag so I don't have to worry about it getting lost.

But it sounds like you have anxiety about being in a new place not the actual transportation part of things so I don't know how much that will actually help.

edited September 2013
    In Response to <a rel="nofollow" href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pre-travel-nerves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:74b15647-95e7-484d-8d9f-cf97091fa1c0Post:03bdeaf9-ff14-4557-8df7-cd9d3294083e">Re: Pre-travel Nerves</a>:
    <blockquote class="Quote"><div class="QuoteText">
    </div></blockquote>
    image.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice.  I am usually fine by the time I get on the plane.  I have thought about refilling my anxiety med prescription, but I keep deciding against it because my family has major addiction problems.  I was always so terrified of taking anxiety meds, but broke down and got them when I got so overwhelmed with school this past semester that I couldn't go or do homework.  I am trying to find alternatives to medication. 

I think that a group of us is getting together and having a sleepover the night before we leave so we can all share a cab in the morning and wake up on time.  Leaving to the airport at 3:30 AM just sounds awful.  I think it should help to be surrounded by people instead of alone the night before I leave.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pre-travel-nerves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:74b15647-95e7-484d-8d9f-cf97091fa1c0Post:f75caea6-a66d-45d4-94ad-6e1895d7cc5b">Re: Pre-travel Nerves</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-travel Nerves : I'm the other crazy person with you two hours early. BF use to hate it. Now he looks forward to it because he gets to buy $10 beers at the airport bar. lol
    Posted by msjenna519[/QUOTE]

Haha...my BF used to hate it to but now he realized that if he just takes me to the airport when I want he won't have a crazy girlfriend freaking out the whole time we are going through airport security.

• edited December 2011
    Liv, I just may get my prescription renewed.  I still go back and forth on it a lot.
  • edited December 2011
    Liv, I know you are just trying to give me advice on the medication.  I have had no signs of addiction with the medication when I took it, I just tend to over-freak out on this kind of stuff.  The advice you gave me is reassuring and helpful though!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will tell you that Peru has a lot of non-fried food!  If you like seafood, potatoes, and/or corn, it's an absolute mecca. The ceviche is addictingly awesome - try all types!  And the potatoes... mmm, the potatoes!  Anyway, there's plenty for you to eat, and things aren't too expensive.  They do also have some awesome chicken dishes if you aren't much of a fish fan (though what a shame in Peru).  They're usually quite salty, but not necessarily fried.

If you don't know Spanish, you can just say, "No quiero algo frito" (prounounced "no key-arrow all-go free-toe")  It means "I don't want anything fried".  Simplified - "No frito"

Anniversary

• SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pre-travel-nerves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:74b15647-95e7-484d-8d9f-cf97091fa1c0Post:6c1ec9ce-6fd5-4f86-8311-663b730dc55a">Re: Pre-travel Nerves</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tylenol PM, a comfy neck pillow and a blanket. I just try to sleep as much as possible. <strong>For the cramps, have you tried therma care heat patches? They are awesome!
    </strong>Posted by msjenna519[/QUOTE]

They are the best!  I have been having trouble finding the ones for the lower abdomen, though. 
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pre-travel-nerves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:74b15647-95e7-484d-8d9f-cf97091fa1c0Post:09ae65ff-5ef9-4fc8-918e-be7d1a5cc17e">Re: Pre-travel Nerves</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will tell you that Peru has a lot of non-fried food!  If you like seafood, potatoes, and/or corn, it's an absolute mecca. The ceviche is addictingly awesome - try all types!  And the potatoes... mmm, the potatoes!  Anyway, there's plenty for you to eat, and things aren't too expensive.  They do also have some awesome chicken dishes if you aren't much of a fish fan (though what a shame in Peru).  They're usually quite salty, but not necessarily fried. Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was going to say. When I was there, I don't think I ate any fried food at all, it wasn't even offered. It depends on where you eat though, we mainly ate in the house instead of going out.

I was really worried about getting my period the day I left for Peru, and sure enough I did (a flight with two layovers) and I was fortunate to not have any cramps at all that month. But I also had packed Midol with me just in case!
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I get anxious before (and during) plane travel.

I should really go to my doc and get some anti-anxiety meds just for my flights, but I'm kinda horrified of anxiety meds...go figure.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • edited December 2011
    I do.  I hate to fly.  I know that a good trip often requires me to fly, so I don't let me fears hold me back, but I really don't like it.  The takeoff and landing are the worst for me.
    edited September 2013
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, I forgot to ask! Where are you going and what will you be doing in Peru?
  • edited December 2011
    I don't really get travel anxiety, but I have a friend who hates flying and always buys alcohol on the plains to relax.  Not exactly the healthiest option, but a stiff drink or two will do the trick!

ETA: Take a tylenol PM right before you board the plane and you'll sleep like a baby... just make sure you can wake up when you land :)
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    edited December 2011
    I freak out once I get on the plane. The scariest part for me is the landing, especially when pilots don't do the altitude change gradually. It freaks me out when the plane suddenly drops. I am one of those people that takes a low dose of Xanax for plane trips. I didn't get it until last year, but I really wish I would have had it for my flight from LA to London when I studied abroad. Twelve hours of anxiety was no fun.
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pre-travel-nerves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:74b15647-95e7-484d-8d9f-cf97091fa1c0Post:8de9c887-c3fd-4b73-9e63-fd787b30d3f9">Re: Pre-travel Nerves</a>:
    [QUOTE]Liv, I know you are just trying to give me advice on the medication.  I have had no signs of addiction with the medication when I took it, I just tend to over-freak out on this kind of stuff.  The advice you gave me is reassuring and helpful though!
    Posted by amsybot[/QUOTE]

If you are nervous about the perscription- I totally understand. Instead of my perscriptions- I use GABA, which is all natural amino acid, "PharmaGABA helps to increase the production of alpha brain waves to create a profound sense of physical relaxation while maintaining mental focus." I take it whenever I'm feeling really anxious- I certainly wouldn't call it a "profound" sense of relaxation, but it really helps.

OOoh- <a href="http://sitelife.theknot.com/wiki/Pollo_a_la_Brasa" title="Pollo a la Brasa"><font color="#0645ad">Pollo a la Brasa</font></a> looks good! And <a href="http://sitelife.theknot.com/wiki/Pachamanca" title="Pachamanca"><font color="#0645ad">pachamanca</font></a> looks amazing! I wonder if you'll get a chance to try that.

I cant wait to see pictures!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks all for the advice.  I have yet to get my travel anxiety! I think it is because my life has been such a whirlwind lately, with graduating school, my mom moving away, and my sister having my cat since monday.  Everyone is so excited about the trip that it is making me excited as well!

Cate, I am going with a lot of people that speak spanish so lucky for me I will have my personal translators.  I am also going with someone who has been before and will be helping me find safe foods to eat.

Bren, I will spend nine days in Tambopata collecting insects for a field entomology class.  We will be staying at an ecolodge and hopefully catch a bunch of awesome tropical insects! We will spend the rest of the 14 days in Lima and Cusco.  We are going to be tourists at Machu Picchu and I plan on buying a nice alpaca blanket!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards