Not Engaged Yet

No ring but...

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost a year but we meet in 8th grade so we have known each other for about 10 years and dated other people in that time but we got back together and I know he is my soulmate... We have talked about getting married and have set a date and set up alot of the details but I have no ring on my finger( well just a promise ring)! Is anyone else in this boat?

Re: No ring but...

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes, there are a lot of girls around here that are engaged without a ring.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-but-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f8304707-d940-40a7-87a1-323a71e345acPost:ba03ecc5-cd9f-4401-8d3d-65200c091343">No ring but...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My boyfriend and I have been together for almost a year but we meet in 8th grade so we have known each other for about 10 years and dated other people in that time but we got back together and I know he is my soulmate... We have talked about getting married and have set a date and set up alot of the details but I have no ring on my finger( well just a promise ring)! Is anyone else in this boat?
    Posted by acast187[/QUOTE]

Well, that depends - do you consider yourself engaged? If you do, it's fine to be engaged without a ring. Lots of people are. If you don't consider yourself engaged, you'll find that we tend to tell women not to plan their wedding before getting engaged.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Lots of girls are engaged without a ring, all that matters is that both you and your FI consider yourselves engaged.

If you don't consider yourself engaged well then you really shouldn't be planning your wedding yet.

• edited December 2011
    I can't help but notice your signature... did you recently lose a baby?  I'm really sorry to hear that, if so.

I'm sure there's a lot of emotions that go along with losing a child.  Was it your child with him?  Be sure and get counseling to help you through that - I can't imagine how that would affect a person and their relationships!

Regarding engagement vs. promise ring, it all depends on how you both look at it.  If you both are sure you're getting married and have set a date and booked a venue, then whether you consider yourselves "engaged" before you have an "engagement ring" is sort of superfluous.  Talk to him - figure out if you need a traditional proposal to feel engaged, or if you both just want to announce your engagement and not worry about another ring.

Regardless, congrats on your (pending) engagement and welcome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    There's a sticky post at the top of the board titled, "Welcome to NEY".  Please read it.  
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Plenty of people get engaged without rings, however, if you feel that you need one to really feel that way, I suggest you speak with  your man. This is a good thing to do b\c it helps you learn the best way to openly communicate with him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    My FI (use FI loosely) and I have been together 3 years and have a 1 year old son (if you are doing the math, Yes, it all happened very quickly lol). 

We have discussed lots of aspects of getting/being engaged.  He's wary because this will be his 2nd- he tends to think towards 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' when it comes to our relationship.  He thinks everything is good, what do we need to get engaged/married for?  After a few conversations I think he's finally realizing he doesn't want to 'rob' me of my wedding/marriage- just because he's already 'been there, done that'. 

We have finally starting looking at rings (although I have no clue when he'll get on bended knee ? and pop the question).  We both know we will be getting married- it's just a matter of when (although we have discussed early 2012- as well as colors, themes and guest lists lol).  We use the terms fiance as well as husband/wife.  We share a bank account, a child and a life together.  We're pretty much married anyways lol but I don't want just a courthouse wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I got my two carats!
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-but-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:f8304707-d940-40a7-87a1-323a71e345acPost:68301d49-0ffc-43e3-8cd9-51bfdfe3322c">Re: No ring but...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got my two carrots!
    Posted by joiner521[/QUOTE]

I fixed it  *Ninja face*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-but-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:f8304707-d940-40a7-87a1-323a71e345acPost:8cabf5d5-18ef-45b6-8266-476d16fd0e96">Re: No ring but...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: No ring but... : I fixed it  *Ninja face*
    Posted by hetshup[/QUOTE]

SoBe

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards