Florida-North Florida

Bakeries in St Augustine

I am sure this has been posted about many of times but what bakeries are people using or have used.

I have an appointment with Defore's tomorrow. 

I have been trying to talk with someone from Sweet Weddings - I have emailed twice and they responded once. Basically their hours are only 9-4 pm tues-fri which is really difficult when you work up in Jacksonville. She wrote back sometimes they can do a Sunday but never responded to my email about what Sunday in particular. I've tried calling a couple times today and only get voicemail.

Any thoughts? 

Re: Bakeries in St Augustine

• edited December 2011
    I'm going to use Defore's too. They were recommended to me by several of my other vendors. Let me know how it goes!
  • mary1217mary1217 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Publix.  Several friends used them for their wedding cakes and their prices are great
  • GolfinBrideGolfinBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have had the same issue with SweetWeddings!  I think we are going to go with Publix as well.  It makes it simple.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    My mom had heard some varying experiences about Publix (not in any particular area) with deliverary. My one friend who got married up in Jax said Publix prices weren't that much better than some other places she had looked at.
  • edited December 2011
    ERMA KAY
    386/649-4563

She comes highly recommended and i have never heard a bad thing about this woman! im a hair dresser and all my clients ask me how my wedding planning is going and if ive booked Erma Kay for the cake yet! From what i hear shes pretty amazing!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Sweet Weddings. Arlene is awesome! My planner set up the appointment for me so I don't know about her response time. It did take a few weeks after our first appointment for her to email me the proposal, but she is very popular. I think she just has so much to do, and she does it as fast as she can. Honestly though, her cakes (taste and design) are completely worth it (IMO). If you can get in touch with her and find a time to finally meet with her, I would definitely do it.
  • edited December 2011
    We used Defore's, and their cakes are soooo good!  My guests are still talking about how good it was (seriously lol).  I can tell you that if I remember correctly, Sweet Weddings was out of our budget (their prices were quite a bit higher), whereas Defore's prices were only slightly higher than the quote we got from Publix.  We got a 4 tier cake with a different flavor for each layer, covered in fudge icing AND chocolate ganache and the price was still reasonable.  Not to mention, the ladies from Defore's helped set up for our ceremony (obviously outside their job description).  I'd highly recommend them.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I never heard back from Sweet Weddings. I met with Defore's today and really liked the mom/daughter team. We are doing 3 tiers that will feed 75 people then the groom's cake is a sheet cake that will feed 30 (if we're doing a groom's cake we want it for people to eat... not just look at. I hate how it goes to waste at so many weddings!). The groom's cake is going to have a tiramisu filling and I know one of the layers will be red velvet - not sure about the others yet. Her estimate was something like $420-40 (can't remember exactly). then expected it to be another $20 for the decorations I wanted for it (beachy cake with the beach chairs on top and the fencing, sand, shells, etc). That included the delivery, taxes, etc. She said she'd have the proposal for me by Monday! 

I keep hearing recommendations for Sweet Weddings but I don't want to deal with vendors I have to stalk to get a hold of - since I hear just as wonderful things about Defore's and they are right in my price range (and I liked the tasting I had) I think we'll probably go with them!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_bakeries-st-augustine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:70Discussion:d38f4703-fbdb-4902-bf6e-19f9710405b6Post:c03fafbd-c8c9-4d4f-b994-7c3b7e8ffc6f">Re: Bakeries in St Augustine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone! I never heard back from Sweet Weddings. I met with Defore's today and really liked the mom/daughter team. We are doing 3 tiers that will feed 75 people then the groom's cake is a sheet cake that will feed 30 (if we're doing a groom's cake we want it for people to eat... not just look at. I hate how it goes to waste at so many weddings!). The groom's cake is going to have a tiramisu filling and I know one of the layers will be red velvet - not sure about the others yet. Her estimate was something like $420-40 (can't remember exactly). then expected it to be another $20 for the decorations I wanted for it (beachy cake with the beach chairs on top and the fencing, sand, shells, etc). That included the delivery, taxes, etc. She said she'd have the proposal for me by Monday!  I keep hearing recommendations for Sweet Weddings but I don't want to deal with vendors I have to stalk to get a hold of - since I hear just as wonderful things about Defore's and they are right in my price range (and I liked the tasting I had) I think we'll probably go with them!
    Posted by FutureMrsMiller25[/QUOTE]

Good luck with your decision!  I know what you mean by vendors you have to stalk (you don't need the added stress).  I remember at our consultation with Defore's, they gave us several huge slices of cake, and they were all really good (I was only expecting small samples lol).
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance's sister used Sweet Weddings and it was super yummy! I've been in contact with her via email and its been pretty few and far between on her end. For our cake, we decided to use Sweet n Flour in Jacksonville; they deliver to St Aug for a reasonable amount. Her name is Marisa and her menu is to die for! Her prices are super reasonable, and I'm just super excited. We haven't had our tasting yet, but I've had her cupcakes (lavender coconut- yum!) at a work event and they were spectacular! 

If you'd like to stay with someone in St Aug, I do recommend Sweet Weddings- but you probably should call, not email. =)
  • edited December 2011
    I did try calling multiple times and only got voicemail - and no one returned my msgs. We are going to go ahead and put a deposit down for Defore's :) Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    It's so funny that I came accross this posting.  We live in St Aug but getting married in Jax.  FI wanted to explore this area too and I just made an appt with Defore's today.  I like that they answered the 1st time around.  So far so good..lol! I liked what they had on display in their online gallery
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sweet Weddings did eventual get back to me - she said she read my email the day of that I wanted to come in and emailed me back a few days after that. The soonest she had an opening to meet with me was a month away. I told her I appreciated her getting back with me but we had already chosen another bakery.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_bakeries-st-augustine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:70Discussion:d38f4703-fbdb-4902-bf6e-19f9710405b6Post:3a1b72c7-3e68-42e3-9548-fa84c32baab3">Re: Bakeries in St Augustine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sweet Weddings did eventual get back to me - she said she read my email the day of that I wanted to come in and emailed me back a few days after that. The soonest she had an opening to meet with me was a month away. I told her I appreciated her getting back with me but we had already chosen another bakery.
    Posted by FutureMrsMiller25[/QUOTE]

I'm glad she finally got back to you, but it sucks that she took so long. I would be a little put off too if it was that difficult to get ahold of her. I'm glad you found one you love!
  • edited December 2011
    Update, I was NOT excited about Defores at all.  The consultation was done by what seemed to be the daughter and she wasn't really able to answer any design questions.  I finally got a follow up email about 2 weeks after our appt, but by then I had already moved on to other appts.  We will be going with Divine Design Boutique in Jacksonville.  I love her attention to detail and one of her cakes recently was featured in one of the wedding magazines.  Check her out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards