Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Menu

Hey everyone;

I am planning on having one of my favorite Italian restaurants cater my reception.  I am planning to have a small-ish wedding of 50 people max, so having an offsite caterer seemed to work better for me.  I have not been to very many weddings, and the ones that I have attended, I did not pay very close attention.

I am planning on having lasagna, chicken alfredo, pasta salad, and italian salad (lettuce with salami, cheese, olive salad, and marinated artichoke hearts).  If you were a guest, would this be adequate?  Too much pasta?  Should I add something else, such as an appetizer (like meatballs or sausages--the restaurant offers a variety of items like this)?  Too many questions, I know, but this is the part of the wedding that matters the most to me and I want the food to go over well.

Of course, I'm going to have cake too.
Love my furbaby :)Birthday

**6.30.12** I have found the one whom my soul loves.

Anniversary

Re: Menu

• While the lasagna and chicken alfredo will both probably have meat, you may want to have simply a meat dish (ie chicken parmesan), and then a side dish of pasta, maybe the lasagna, or the alfredo without the meat.

I'm assuming the pasta salad is cold, but I would probably offer a garden salad instead. Many people like green salads with mixed lettuce and other veggies, I personally am not a fan of pasta salad.

I'm also assuming you are serving rolls or some sort of bread.
  • While it's sounds great, it's on the heavy side.  I would maybe add a Caesar salad or another green salad or maybe a caprese salad.

Are you having a cocktail hour?  I'm always a fan of some sort of apps.  People tend to mingle when they first arrive, it's nice to have something to nibble on.  It doesn't have to be a lot or even last long. 30 minutes or so with a few meatballs or sausage on toothpicks and bruschetta or something. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'd switch the pasta salad out for something like shrimp scampi for folks who want something a little lighter.  I love the lasagna, alfredo, and Italian salad options.  I'd offer both meat and vegetarian lasagna (I doubt they'd charge more for that). 

• If the salad, alfredo, and lasange all have meat in them what are your options for vegetarians?  I am having a pasta table at my wedding and we are having mushroom ravioli and baked ziti with meatballs on the side in order to accomodate vegetarian guests. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • What about those of your guests with celiac disease or gluten allergies?  They won't be able to eat pasta or bread at all.  I know some people make the meat options (meatballs, grilled chicken, grilled shrimp, fish, etc) available separately from the pasta, so the vegetarians can have plain pasta and those who can't have the wheat can eat the separate protein. 

A green salad or a caprese salad would round things out well, or an antipasti table (cured meats, italian cheeses, bruschetta, olives, marinated veggies). 

• Yeah, definitely more salad in the menu for those looking for a lighter meal. Sounds like an awesome menu though, got me hungry all of a sudden!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards