Massachusetts-Boston

Aaron Topfer

Anybody have feedback on Aaron Topfer as a ceremony/cocktail hour musician/reception DJ????

Re: Aaron Topfer

• edited December 2011
    Yup- he did a great job at our wedding. People danced the night away!
  • jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not gonna lie, I wasn't thrilled with him.  There's a review in my bio. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We used him at our 7/3/09 wedding and he was really fabulous.  I was really surprised to read about some of the slipups in Jenvalet's review because we had no problems at all.  Music was by far the most important element of our wedding and we could not have been more pleased.  He played the piano during the ceremony, rehearsed with a BM so he could accompany her during the ceremony, hired an upright bass player for the cocktail hour, and secretly co-ordinated with the WP so they could perform a 15 minute song and dance medley!

That being said, we were exceedingly specific in our mustplay/do not play lists.  There was virtually no room for error because we essentially listed enough music to last 7 hours.  He rarely strayed from the lists, and when he did, it was always a great selection.  He played none of our Do Not Plays, and the dance floor was literally packed from the second people finished eating...and we extended the reception by an hour, so he kept it packed for almost 6 hours.

THAT being said, I can see how he could be almost TOO laid back and lowkey if you do not have a big dancing crowd.  He is so not pushy and not "get on the dance floor" that a more demure crowd might be more hesitant.  However, if you are specific with what you want, I can't imagine him doing anything less than a fabulous job regardless of your crowd's style. HTH =)
  • jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We drove all the way to his place in NH and went over our do not play and play lists.  We were pretty explicit with what we wanted.  He didn't follow through. 

I will say, it didn't ruin my night.  People were dancing away, it was just that we didn't want some of the cheesy stuff he played.  Oh well.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • eouelleteouellet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were really thrilled with him.  He played SUCH a good mix and got everyone - young, old, and in between - up and dancing.  He also played piano for our cocktail hour but we were taking photos so I didn't get to hear it.

We weren't very specific with our requests - I mentioned a few songs that I specifically wanted, and he played all of those.  I told him that I didn't want the usual hokey wedding songs everyone hates, and he didn't play any of them.  I was just very happy with everything.
  • edited December 2011
    We used him for our wedding and thought he was great.  You can read my review in my bio.  He also played the piano for us during the ceremony, and then he arranged to have himself, a saxophone player, and a bass player to play jazz music during the cocktail hour and dinner.  As pp said, he's definitely a more laid back, not in your face kind of DJ, which personally I love.  I hate all the cheesy, bossy DJs making you go out and dance.  Maybe I'm just used to crowds that do that without any pushing, but hey, we were dancing non-stop all night.  HTH!
    Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Great for Ceremony and cocktail hour.  Almost too subdued for the reception.  One guest commented he seemed like an undertaker.
  • edited December 2011
    We had him for our wedding on 9-4-11 and he was GREAT!  He played the piano for the cocktail hour and for dinner and everyone raved about it. After dinner he DJ'd and we had picked tons of songs and he added some and everyone of all ages danced the whole night away. We had venue till midnight and he played continously the whole time. You will be making a big mistake if you don't book him for your wedding. He was great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards