Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Alternatives to floral centerpieces

Hi ladies!

For those of you who aren't going with floral centerpieces for your reception, what are you using?  I could DIY centerpieces really easily, but having a "destination" wedding adds an added layer of complexity. I go back and forth about flowers. I want them... but I'm not sure I want to pay for them. My reception is Maggiano's, but I don't know how many people will RSVP, so I don't know if they could be included in our room minimum.

So... any good centerpiece ideas?

Re: Alternatives to floral centerpieces

• Options
    RachNRichRachNRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking the same thing you did (i.e. DW = difficult to DIY centerpieces), so we actually just ended up going with flowers in the end...and, it help us meet our room minimum.

How soon before your wedding are you arriving in Vegas? That might give you some extra time to stop at a local store and pick things up to do a quick DIY there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    eburesheburesh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't planning on doing flowers, but once I was about 5 or 6 weeks away from our date and getting RSVP's back, it was clear that we weren't going to have as many attend as we were budgeting for so I had room to add them to meet our room minimum. So that's an option...just wait until it is closer and you have a better idea of budget. Otherwise, what I was going to do if I met our room minimum was search Craig's list for used centerpieces in the Las Vegas area and pick them up when I got there. I know a couple of girls that have bought used wedding deocrations off Craig's list and they were nice!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My reception will be at Border Grill in MB.  My wedding coordinator actually suggested a centerpiece that a previous bride used.  It's a medium sized  martini glass, filled with marbles and a floating candle.  Playing cards are then arranged around the base of the glass.  When she first told me, I thought it may be cheesy, but she sent a pic and it actually looked really nice.  I am going to try to buy the stuff online and have it shipped to the restaurant before the wedding.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_alternatives-floral-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ec9a8fa9-fa64-4b07-98b3-bf83376d998fPost:c642a942-279a-4fc5-ad93-1adbcc2ebb43">Re: Alternatives to floral centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]My reception will be at Border Grill in MB.  My wedding coordinator actually suggested a centerpiece that a previous bride used.  It's a medium sized  martini glass, filled with marbles and a floating candle.  Playing cards are then arranged around the base of the glass.  When she first told me, I thought it may be cheesy, but she sent a pic and it actually looked really nice.  I am going to try to buy the stuff online and have it shipped to the restaurant before the wedding.
    Posted by kristy637[/QUOTE]

Can you post the pic??
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    tondraluvtondraluv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing & tall cylinder with ostrich feathers coming out of them.  Here is an example:
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Here is the pic of the martini centerpiece I was referring too

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What if you did a big red ampersand on each table?  I bet you could DIY and ship it down to your WC.  You could probably find paper mache ones at Michael's or online and then spray paint them.  Maybe even make them sparkle and then have tea lights around them to light them up.
  • Options
    RachNRichRachNRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_alternatives-floral-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ec9a8fa9-fa64-4b07-98b3-bf83376d998fPost:743e1c45-cdf2-41c5-b4ac-d850b206d047">Re: Alternatives to floral centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]What if you did a big red ampersand on each table?  I bet you could DIY and ship it down to your WC.  You could probably find paper mache ones at Michael's or online and then spray paint them.  Maybe even make them sparkle and then have tea lights around them to light them up.
    Posted by mhoneybee[/QUOTE]

This is such a great idea; I really like it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_alternatives-floral-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:ec9a8fa9-fa64-4b07-98b3-bf83376d998fPost:743e1c45-cdf2-41c5-b4ac-d850b206d047">Re: Alternatives to floral centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]What if you did a big red ampersand on each table?  I bet you could DIY and ship it down to your WC.  You could probably find paper mache ones at Michael's or online and then spray paint them.  Maybe even make them sparkle and then have tea lights around them to light them up.
    Posted by mhoneybee[/QUOTE]

We think alike. :)  We actually have the one big red ampersand that we're basing the wedding theme on (<a href="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3421/3791321624_3d403ff2ff_o.jpg">this one</a>)... and then I bought a bunch of small red ampersands that look just like it that are 3-inches tall, but I'll have to paint them red: (<a href="http://www.organize.com/alpha-art-trade-ampersand-design-ideas.html">here</a>).  We'll put those on each table, most likely... in some manner.

We'll likely put the big ampersand on our sweetheart table, if we have one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards