Not Engaged Yet

Honor the Veterans in Our Lives

Many of us know veterans (or perhaps some of us are veterans), so let's take a moment to recognize them and explain what they did for us!

My (first) stepdad was a veteran. He's currently struggling due to the economy, but I'll never forget him--or his new wife, or their two awesome kiddos. True story:  he saved my life when I was a child in a house fire.  Talk about a hero.

My (actual) dad was a veteran who served in Vietnam. Many times.  Like Green Beret Special Forces kind of veteran. We have a really difficult relationship (aka, not much of one), but he sacrificed a LOT for us, including one of his, err, testicles.  He wasn't SUPPOSED to be able to have kids because of earning that purple heart, but he did.  And all in all, I'm pretty glad he had me.

Kudos to our veterans.

Re: Honor the Veterans in Our Lives

• peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My mom is a veteran.  She served in the first Gulf War.  She's been in the Army for 30 years, and she's retiring next month.  Although things haven't been easy sometimes, she's never wavered in her support of me and my brother, and if I've only ever learned one thing from her, it's how damn proud I am to be an American.  And even more so, how damn proud I am to be asked "Oh, what's your mom do" and to be able to respond "She's a SGM. in the Army."  Fewer people make SGM than make General.  And even fewer women accomplish the task.  She taught me to be a strong woman, sometimes in the least conventional of ways.  I'm beyond proud to be her daughter.

Thanks to all the veterans out there who serve our country.  Your willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice is amazing.  <3
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Polo:  Your grandpa sounds awesome!  I'm really not close to my dad, so I'm not sure about all of his military honors. I'm pretty sure he has a bronze star in addition to his purple heart, but I don't really know what it's for. We have a really strained relationship, but I know how much he sacrificed (including, apparently, his ability to have normal relationships with his children), so I'm proud of him for that.

Peek:  Your mom sounds like a bad ass. :) 
  • edited December 2011
    My grandpa (my dad's dad) is a veteran and a retired Marine (although he says "Marines never retire"). He was a drill instructor and served in the Korean War. He is known as one of the Chosin Few.

The Battle of Chosin Reservoir took place during one of the coldest winters on record in Korea, over 17 days. Thirty thousand American troops (who were known collectively as one of the Chosin Few) tried to infiltrate Korea by crossing the Chosin Reservoir. They did, and then were surprised by enemy Chinese troops, who outnumbered, encircled and tried to capture them. Instead, the Americans fought back. It resulted in one of the biggest losses of men for the Chinese army. It was one of the turning points of the Korean War.

To date, my grandpa is one of ~15 members of the Chosin Few still alive today.

I am very proud of my grandpa and what he did to serve his country. He continues to do so - even though he is in his 80's, he is a long-standing and respected member of his town's ambulance squad.

Happy Veteran's Day to my Pop, one of the best men I know =)

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Grandpa served in WWII, he passed away a few years ago, and the flag that was draped over his coffin sits proudly on my parents mantel. My BF's father was in the Navy and served on nuclear subs, and my BF's brother and brother in law are currently serving in the Marine Corp, and have served in both Afghanistan and Iraq. My sister's boyfriend served in the Army and was stationed in Iraq as well. 

I am also very proud of my sister, who works for the Cleveland VA. She has not served, but she works tirelessly to promote Veterans' issues and make sure that Veterans' have access to all the services they need. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_honor-veterans-lives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:371bb5fc-ecb6-4968-b2ab-258709d8d636Post:f182800a-b547-4837-91c0-ed9cd64eda4d">Re: Honor the Veterans in Our Lives</a>:
    [QUOTE] I couldn't handle the uncertainty of being a military wife. But anyway, that's a long story to say I'm very proud of him and grateful for his service to our country. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

<div>No joke. That is a HARD life.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_honor-veterans-lives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:371bb5fc-ecb6-4968-b2ab-258709d8d636Post:f182800a-b547-4837-91c0-ed9cd64eda4d">Re: Honor the Veterans in Our Lives</a>:
    [QUOTE]I couldn't handle the uncertainty of being a military wife. But anyway, that's a long story to say I'm very proud of him and grateful for his service to our country. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I agree. I know it's a hard, hard thing to do, and I really admire the men and women who do it daily. <em>They</em> deserve their own holiday.

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My Grampa (who died last Christmas) served in Korea in the Air Force. He was an incredible man and I miss him a lot today.

So many thanks yous to all of the veterans out there!
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Both my Grandpas served in WWII. My dad's dad was the leader of an army orchestra and my mom's dad was also in the army. He was on the first c-plane to reach the USS Indianapolis, a ship that was hit by Japanese torpedos and which many of the survivors of the blast ended up drowning or being killed by sharks. There have been many books and a couple movies about it, and there was even a picture of my grandpa in one of the books. He was so young, it was hard to imagine that he was in that position.

Also, my uncle served in Desert Storm, and many of my friends have served as well. I don't thank them often enough, but I'm grateful that we have a day like today to remind us what they gave up for us...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• edited December 2011
    MY grandfather served in WWII. He enlisted when he was just 17 (lied and said he was 18) and turned 18 flying overseas. If you go to the Smithsonian and visit the WWII exhibit at the Air and Space Museum you can see the exact type of plane my grandfather flew in. He did morse code. He actually passed away on Vetern's day 4 years ago. Miss you Pawpaw.

My cousin is in the Navy, but has never deployed. He works on computers in planes etc and teaches pilots how to use them. He will likely never have to deploy.

I also have friends from high school serving in various branches of the military.

EDITED: to fix grmatical errors... I'm tired! lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love reading all of your stories. It's so great to feel the pride you all have from having veterans in your life :-)

My Grampa passed away July 4, 2007. He was a Marine and served in WWII. He was wounded in combat and when I was younger I misheard the story and though he had been hit in the side by a cannonball. We have the small blue bible that he carried with him in combat. I only wish I had spoken more to him about his time in the Marine Corp but he didn't talk too much about it. He was incredibly proud, though...he always wore his WWII USMC baseball cap. I like to think he'd be proud of the route I'm taking with AFROTC and college.
    White Knot
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My Poppop who passed away in August was a Korean War vet. 

I am so incredibly grateful for all those who have served, are serving, & will serve in the future to protect our country & our freedoms!!!

• edited December 2011
    My dad is a Vietnam vet; he flew A-1s (the might Skyraider) there during his tour. 

And, at least in part due to his influence, I am a veteran (and a pilot) as well.  I guess I'm just extra cheesy this morning but . . . serving my country for the past 14 years has been such an amazing experience.  From the day I first joined to the day I die, I will look at our flag in a different way; every veteran I know feels that same way. 

NEY ladies, thank you for thanking and supporting your veterans.  They appreciate it today, and every other day of the year. 
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My grandpa's brother was in WWII. I don't remember meeting him because he died when I was a baby. There is an old picture of him standing on a porch holding me.

My vice-principal from high school (whom I was very close too) is currently serving a second tour in the middle east. He was also my seventh grade history teacher and is just an awesome guy.

A friend from high school went to the Naval Academy and is now serving over seas as well.

Another friend of mine is in the National Guard, he is also overseas.

A friend of BF's from high school just enlisted in the Army last year. I think it's a really brave and honorable thing to do but his friends just tear him down all the time about it and it really pisses me off.  I have the greatest respect for the men and women who serve our country.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_honor-veterans-lives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:371bb5fc-ecb6-4968-b2ab-258709d8d636Post:e7f42e36-ec01-4841-a7fd-c39cafa29534">Re: Honor the Veterans in Our Lives</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dad is a Vietnam vet; he flew A-1s (the might Skyraider) there during his tour.  And, at least in part due to his influence, <strong>I am a veteran (and a pilot) as well.  I guess I'm just extra cheesy this morning but . . . serving my country for the past 14 years has been such an amazing experience</strong>.  From the day I first joined to the day I die, I will look at our flag in a different way; every veteran I know feels that same way.  NEY ladies, thank you for thanking and supporting your veterans.  They appreciate it today, and every other day of the year. 
    Posted by flygirlmeg[/QUOTE]

meg, I had no idea you were a veteran. Thank you for your bravery and your service to our country <3

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_honor-veterans-lives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:371bb5fc-ecb6-4968-b2ab-258709d8d636Post:60cf4100-42ed-46c8-bb32-54c59125eb88">Re: Honor the Veterans in Our Lives</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honor the Veterans in Our Lives : meg, I had no idea you were a veteran. Thank you for your bravery and your service to our country <3
    Posted by bsidebella[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!!  Yep, I've been in for 14+ years so far.  The first 5 of those we weren't at war and the military was such a different place than it is now.  Hard to believe we've been at work for 10 years already.  Hopefully that will come to an end sooner rather than later!
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    One of my grandfathers was a vet but I don't remember which one *shame*  However I do have lots of friends who have served and are still serving and I am so proud of them.  Thank you all for your stories and Meg for your service to this greatest nation on God's green Earth :)
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards