Georgia-Atlanta

Wedding Location HELP!!

My fiance and I are on a budget but I still want this fairytale wedding I've had my heart set on.  I have a large family that protocol dictates I invite and I have no idea where to look for a place to have our wedding. If I could afford it I would have my wedding in a castle in Wales, but sadly I dont have that kind of cash. 
We also have a problem in the fact that when my fiance graduates he will be shipped off to Officer Candidate School for the Navy. Then everything is all hazy because we have no clue if they are going to treat him like his friends before him and have him wait 3-4 months before his specialty school or if they will immediately send him. So that translates to us needing a place that will work with us should we have to change our date. 

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Wedding Location HELP!!

• deguerradeguerra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are on a budget but I still want this fairytale wedding I've had my heart set on.  I have a large family that protocol dictates I invite and I have no idea where to look for a place to have our wedding. If I could afford it I would have my wedding in a castle in Wales, but sadly I dont have that kind of cash. 
    We also have a problem in the fact that when my fiance graduates he will be shipped off to Officer Candidate School for the Navy. Then everything is all hazy because we have no clue if they are going to treat him like his friends before him and have him wait 3-4 months before his specialty school or if they will immediately send him. So that translates to us needing a place that will work with us should we have to change our date. 

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  • alainn15alainn15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try posting on your local board and someone in your area can give advice
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with posting to your local board for suggestions/help selecting a venue.

As to your other dilemma, can you wait until after your FI graduates and you know for sure the status of his shipping out to OCS before you set your wedding date?  Or, select a date that is far enough out so you do not have to worry about adjusting the date.  Just keep in mind that once he graduates from OCS, he could be shipped to his first posting immediately when setting your date.

Best Wishes!

Anniversary
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can  you do it before OCS? if so, that's what I'd recommend. Otherwise, you're always going to be wondering...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BhuthBhuth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely recommend doing it before OCS (speaking from experience) How many guests are you expecting to invite?  And what type of budget are you working with? We are looking at the Georgia Tech Alumni center is in downtown area and has beautiful views and decor.  It's also BYOB which can save you a lot.  Good Luck!
    A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. -- Germaine Greer
  • My_MattMy_Matt member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We can help! Just give us some more details...when is your wedding? Where are you looking for a venue? How many guests? etc...

I wonder if Prince William and Kate are registered at Target?
  • deguerradeguerra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our date is May 19th 2012. We want it in or around Atlanta but we're willing to go further if we have to. Currently we have 220 guests but most are out of town so we don't know if they are willing to come. We were looking into the Wimbish House or possibly Canongate Golf Clubs since Scott has connections there. He really wants to wait til after OCS, he wants to wear his uniform. 

We've discussed having it right after OCS but he's pretty confident he'll be treated like his friends even though they don't have the same MO's. The only thing is they won't specifically give him his OCS date until he graduates, and they won't give him his date for SWO school til after he graduates OCS.  He was told by his recruiting officer that he will most likely go to OCS in late July of next year.
  • KnaijaQueenKnaijaQueen member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a budget?

I would second Rhodes Hall, but it only seats 100 people inside with tables, but 175 for buffet/cocktail style reception.

There's also Cavender Castle, so you may want to look into that.
    http://www.cavendercastle.com

You may want to try mansions as well. There's the following:
    Callanwolde Arts Center: http://www.callanwolde.org (holds 200 inside in one room with tables)
    Villa Serena: http://www.villaserenaatlanta.com (it would have to be outside ceremony and reception because inside only holds 40 people, but estate is large enough for 200)
    Vines Mansion: http://www.vinesmansion.com (will sit 200, but in different rooms)

HTH!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards