Moms and Maids

Non-matronly mother of the bride dress

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find a mother of the bride dress that does not scream "matronly mother of the bride." We can't find anything that isnt matronly, and my mom does not want anything that look like a bridesmaid dress either.

Thanks
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Non-matronly mother of the bride dress

• I would look at the major department stores.  Avoid the "specialty" or wedding sections and look in the cocktail dress or evening wear sections.

I found dresses for both my son and daughter's weddings at Nordstrom.  They have a generous return policy.  I absolutely hate shopping, particularly for dresses.  I shopped online and ordered dresses for home delivery.  I returned the dresses through the store in a painless, easy transaction.  If you have a store credit card, many alterations are free.

Calvin Klein and Tadashi Shoji both have lots of looks that are not matronly at all but definitely appropriate for the mother of the bride or groom.  Maggy London and Kay Unger also have a lot of options that would look great.  

Encourage your mom to shop online initially to get some ideas of designers she likes.  
  • Are you shopping only at bridal salons? I say check out department stores.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Stop shopping for a MOB dress.

Go to a department store like Dillards or Macys and shop in dressy dresses or cocktail wear or party dresses.
  • My plan was to go to Nordstrom. Before I could get there, I found a perfect, knee length sheath at Macy's. I ordered a few sizes and returned the one that didn't fit. As mobkaz said, those two department stores accept returns, without hassle.

• I would check out department stores but my Mom actually bought her dress at a bridal salon but it wasn't labeled as a Mother of the Bride dress.  Instead it was considered a Bridesmaid or evening gown dress.  It was by Lazaro.

Here is my Mom in her dress and I think she looked very un-matronly.

• Thanks everyone!

We have gone to most of the big department stores (Macys, Lord and Taylor, Nordstrom, Neiman, etc) and found only one dress  might be a possibilty.  Names of designers would be most helpful. We are looking for a formal, long evening dress that is not black.
  • OP I have nothing to add that PPs haven't already said, but I am DED at your sig pic.
    Seriously dying of laughter over here!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • I tend to lean toward more conservative and structured looks.  I avoid all things frilly, ruffly, or flouncy.   These designers all have styles with which I have found success......

Calvin Klein, Tadashi Shoji,  Maggy London and Kay Unger.  Adrianna Papell has a very affordable line.  Lauren Ralph Lauren has many long gowns.  Nordstrom also has a line called JS Boutique and JS Collection that carry many gowns as well.
  • There has been zip in the stores this winter that hasn't been designed for the queen of England going to her sweet sixteenth. Finally this past week I am seeing a few spring things trickle into the online sites of Macy's, Neimans, Saks, Bloomingdales, and Nordstrom. I love Tagoshi Shoji, Adrianna Papell. Keep waiting and you'll see more. It's still early in the season. Check out those online sites to get an idea of the designers and costs. By March 10, the stores should be fully stocked.
  • Mobkaz - thanks for the suggestions. The one we found is by Cachet, who I had never heard of before. Still not sure if it is "the one" for her - it is a light silver color that is very close to white and might be a little too risque for a catholic ceremony.

Mercedes - thanks for the info, glad to know i shouldn't stress just yet.

Krisbot - glad to make you laugh

Please send any more suggestions my way!
  • harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I agree with PPs that Tadashi Shoji and Ann Taylor are really great options. JCrew also offers some really nice options. Have you checked Nordstrom's online shop for a wider selection? Online shopping can be a gamble, but it sure is nice for variety purposes. My FMIL found a lovely dress at Von Maur. Good luck!
  • My mom wants something "different," and "not boring." Beige, cream, navy...not her at all. Believe it or not, she tried on a bunch of PROM dresses last weekend and a bunch of them looked great! 
  • the new spring lines should be coming in soon, you might get more choices then :D
  • Sarah Danielle or Siri

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_non-matronly-mother-of-the-bride-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:c51028cf-6cdc-419a-bdc6-855b8a9782ecPost:895600c8-8d94-4a9e-a216-539d9dd1ed03">Re: Non-matronly mother of the bride dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone! We have gone to most of the big department stores (Macys, Lord and Taylor, Nordstrom, Neiman, etc) and found only one dress  might be a possibilty.  Names of designers would be most helpful. We are looking for a formal, long evening dress that is not black.
    Posted by mjmchugh86[/QUOTE]
  • My mom wore one of the more conservative lula kate dresses.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought my MOB dress in a bridal salon. I did not want a matronly dress either since I was barely 48 years old at the time of the wedding. I did not have good luck at department stores. They either didn't have my size or it wasn't the color I wanted, etc.
    Look online at the dresses from the different designers that are in the bridal stores in your area. Many will have the typical MOB dresses, but also have many younger styles. My dress was by Jade and they also have a couture line. I was able to customize my dress in length and color. It took 3 months to come in and another month for alterations. It fit me perfectly and I loved it!
  • My mother's dress was an Enzoni dress which was far from matronly. She bought it at a bridal store.
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    I also bought a Jade gown at a bridal salon.  Check out their styles online. www.jasbinebridal.com. They have many that aren't matronly, as do many of the other designers.

ETA:  Sorry about tthe typo.  That is www.jasminebridal.com.
  • I think she meant to type www.jasminebridal.com. I think there also is a Chinese knock off company called Jasmine but this is not it.
  • You really need to visit The Clothing Cove in Milford...They specialize in Mother Of The Bride And Groom Gowns...They have over 1000 gowns in stock and have everything in one place...Their website only has a small portion of what they have available but it's a great place to check out a few of the designers they carry and depending on when your event is they can order it as well. I love Daymor, Tadashi, Jade And Jade Black Label<div><a href="http://www.theclothingcove.com/Special-Event-Dresses/8908161/3104-8908161/dept" rel="nofollow">http://www.theclothingcove.com/Special-Event-Dresses/8908161/3104-8908161/dept</a></div><div><a href="http://www.theclothingcove.com/Special-Occasion/3104/3104/dept" rel="nofollow">http://www.theclothingcove.com/Special-Occasion/3104/3104/dept</a>
    <div>
    </div><div> Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_non-matronly-mother-of-the-bride-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:c51028cf-6cdc-419a-bdc6-855b8a9782ecPost:a32ccd5d-c4d1-4392-bd32-c1f613c37c30">Non-matronly mother of the bride dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find a mother of the bride dress that does not scream "matronly mother of the bride." We can't find anything that isnt matronly, and my mom does not want anything that look like a bridesmaid dress either. Thanks
    Posted by mjmchugh86[/QUOTE]

</div></div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards