Pennsylvania-Central

Reception Sites in State College, PA?

Does anyone know a unique wedding reception site in State College, PA? We have thought of the Nittany Lion Inn, Penn Stater, Toftrees, Tussey Mountain, and Indigo. We were looking for a place that is non-traditional. We saw on the web Celebration Hall and the Carnegie House but couldn't see pictures of these places. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of hidden gems in the State College area? Thanks.

Re: Reception Sites in State College, PA?

• edited December 2011
    I've lived in State College all my life so I can give you a run down of the typical reception venues, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "non-traditional..." so I'll do my best!

I'd say Toftrees, Nittany Lion Inn, and the Carnegie House (which is not very big, can't accomodate a huge wedding) are going to be pretty "traditional" country club style/hotel ballroom style receptions.  We're having our reception at the Elks Club in Boalsburg - great prices, a nice patio and big windows with a beautiful view, but still pretty country-club-traditional.

Celebration Hall is basically a building full of banquet rooms for events.  It's not in a very pretty location, but they've got plenty of space (though not a ton of parking) and lots of experience with wedding receptions.

Tussey Mountain is a ski lodge, so it's got a more rustic feel and is in a beautiful location at the foot of the mountain.

Indigo is a basement night club.  It's got some neat decor and 2 huge bars...but I guess if that's what you're going for, Indigo's your place.

If you go with the Penn Stater, you could have the reception in one of their ball rooms (they're got TONS of space), or, you can have it at Beaver Stadium in the Mount Nittany Club space.  It's got a gorgeous view of Mount Nittany, and you could get some great pictures inside the stadium.

There are also several Bed and Breakfasts in the area that are great for outdoor weddings - beautiful settings, and facilities for getting ready, restrooms for guests, etc.  Earlystown Manor is one, but there are plenty of others.

Hope that helps!!
  • edited December 2011
    as someone else who's lived there my whole life, the most unique place I think you can get is Beaver Stadium.

However, I just had a few friends get married last summer in Bellefonte, and they used the Match Factory in Talleyrand park as their reception site.  Not very big at all, but sitll unique.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sejohnsosejohnso member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second the Match Factory in Bellefonte as an awesome and unique venue--I'm having my reception there!  It really is a restored old factory, currently housing the American Philatelic Society, who runs the room rentals and such.

If you don't mind being a bit more off the beaten path, you could look at Marrara's Mountain Lodge in Port Matilda. 
  • edited December 2011
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who have responded to my post. I am looking into all of the suggestions. I just sent an email to the Match Factory. Thanks and I hope you all continue to enjoy planning your weddings.
  • stace1814stace1814 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also try Mt. Nittany Inn, Boal Mansion Museum, and even the community parks.
  • bmb5009bmb5009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ramada Confernece Center is has several different rooms..anything from their tropical atrium to the traditional classic ballroom... and the best part is their affordablility and staf...I had a friend get married their last year and she said that the lady who helped her plan was always responded the same day to her emails and would even met with her on several Saturdays to go over details...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards