May 2013 Weddings

What are you doing...

Is there something that you are doing for your wedding that is totally not necessary but something you just want to do anyway and are considering a splurge?

I have little things that I wanted to do, like buy crinoline to dye green and wear under my dress, for example. It's totally un-necessary and I don't think I will ultimately do it. But there are just a couple of things that I'm thinking about doing "just because".
May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge January- Let Them Eat Cake!
My cake is a 2-tier ivory cake with silver dotted scallops, ribbon and pearl brooch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What are you doing...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_what-are-you-doing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:4fe32350-6177-4560-b999-c023acb30649Post:25c68a8d-22f1-4523-b24f-34ce3179577b">What are you doing...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there something that you are doing for your wedding that is totally not necessary but something you just want to do anyway and are considering a splurge? I have little things that I wanted to do, like <strong>buy crinoline to dye green and wear under my dress</strong>, for example. It's totally un-necessary and I don't think I will ultimately do it. But there are just a couple of things that I'm thinking about doing "just because".
    Posted by MamaBear904[/QUOTE]

I had to google this to know what you were talking about, lol.  That sounds really pretty!  Would it be a huge splurge?  I know it certainly sounds time-consuming if you were to DIY it...

I suppose you might say that we splurged on the centerpieces: instead of using something our florist would have, we went antique shopping and bought old tins, jars, etc. for each of the tables.  I just wouldn't have felt right with generic vases or something similar for our rustic wedding. 
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've thought about a few things, but havent really decided. Pintest is my best friend and worst enemy. I saw a thing about making your own coasters, you take 4x4 white ceramic tiles (liek from Lowe's or Home Depot) and cut scrap book paper to fit the square, stick it on, and then use a clear spray paint to hold it and stick little felt circles to the bottom so it won't scratch. I thought about doing those instead of place cards, I would put the names on the tile with the table number, and then buy larger tiles to actually make the table numbers on the tables.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image
  • Totally with you on the Pinterest comment.  I get so many ideas about stuff I could DIY, and then when I think more about it, I know I'd be in way too deep if I tried to do it all!
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would still like to add in a candy buffet but haven't shopped for containers or anything yet so that may be a no-go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would say my sweets buffet... It's really not necessary but I want one... Although nothing is purchased for if yet I know I will be spending a bit on it.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:The Cake!!!
    cake4
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_what-are-you-doing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:4fe32350-6177-4560-b999-c023acb30649Post:d254d91c-fa98-4eb6-8091-2c47347303b1">Re: What are you doing...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've thought about a few things, but havent really decided. Pintest is my best friend and worst enemy. I saw a thing about making your own coasters, you take 4x4 white ceramic tiles (liek from Lowe's or Home Depot) and cut scrap book paper to fit the square, stick it on, and then use a clear spray paint to hold it and stick little felt circles to the bottom so it won't scratch. I thought about doing those instead of place cards, I would put the names on the tile with the table number, and then buy larger tiles to actually make the table numbers on the tables.
    Posted by Carson386[/QUOTE]

I gave this exact thing to my son (a teenager) to do as a craft project for xmas presents for the women in his life (grandmas, etc). Except, instead of scrapbook paper, he used a scrolly stencil, sponge painted a design and then glazed them over with modge podge. He cut square felt and hot glued it to the bottom and wrapped them as presents. I was really surprised as to how awesome they came out and told him I need a set of 12 for our wedding present! LOL
    May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge January- Let Them Eat Cake!
    My cake is a 2-tier ivory cake with silver dotted scallops, ribbon and pearl brooch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our entertainment I guess... We didn't have to spend twice as much as we would have on just a DJ, but we wanted something epic that would be talked about long after the wedding!
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy photo invitessiggy_zpscfc27989.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • The late night snack- completely unnecessary, but when I saw that they offered mini lobster rolls, I couldn't resist.  The majority of our guests aren't from NE, and we're having our wedding on the ocean in MA, so it's too perfect.  Also, the flowers- I went a little over board, but even though I always wanted a very small wedding, I still dreamed of having beautiful flowers.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Our dessert bar - FI loves desserts and they gave us a decent deal on it. I just feel like it may be a waste since there will be that plus cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2012
    Welcome bags. I've dumped a thousand dollars into them and while I am very happy to give them, I shouldn't have gone as overboard as I did.
  • We are splurging on the centerpieces/decorations. I want to do a TON of looking around and figuring out exactly what I want. Otherwise we've been pretty budget conscious and trying to cut corners where we can. I'm excited for the wedding but the money stuff does make me nervous!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My shoes!  Totally unnecessary to spend as much as I did, but I love them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards