Wedding Reception Forum
Options

buffet or sit down dinner?

Were trying to be budget consious, but we are having mixed feelings between buffet dinner or a sit down dinner. Any thoughts on either of the two? 

Re: buffet or sit down dinner?

• Options
    I've only been to buffets at weddings and always had a good experience. We are being budget conscious too and having buffet. As long as food is great, all that everyone will remember from the meal ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto PP. We had a buffet, and it was great!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Two weddings that I went to last year had buffets and they were really good. For my wedding however since my Mom is helping with the catering she insisted on plated meals so I let her have it.
  • Options
    It's up to you. Depending on the place I've actually seen buffets cost as much if not more than sit downs. I think it has to do with having more food than if you we're to pay entree. So check on it if you haven't already. Also if you do buffet, it's much better to have one of the waitstaff tell tables when to go up so very one isn't waiting in line for food
  • Options
    I'm going to be the special snowflake. I hate buffets at weddings.  I don't want to stand in line in my finest clothes then have to carry a plate of food across a room. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I personally prefer a plated meal to a buffet at weddings, but it is completely your preference on what you would like.  I don't really think one is any better than the other; it just comes down to personal preference.  At several venues we looked at, including the venue we chose, the buffet actually cost more than most plated options.  The venues said that this was because with a plated meal, they know exactly how much to make for everyone.  With a buffet, some people will take a large helping, so they don't know the exact amount to make.  When you are looking at venues, ask for prices for both plated entrees and buffet.
  • Options
    I think you'll probably get a 50 50 split of people who enjoy buffets or who prefer sit down meals.  Do what you want and what fits in your budget.  We're doing stations so that there is no line (like with buffets) and I prefer having a variety of food to chose from.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Our caterer ONLY did buffets -- they said that it's much easier to ensure good quality food that is kept at the right temperature.  Once food is plated it's hard to keep them warm without drying everything out.  However, when food is served buffet style, it's a lot easier for the caterer to control everything, and it generally ends up tasting much better.
    DSC_9275
  • Options

My DH flat out refuses to eat at buffets.  I prefer sit-down, but am fine with a buffet.  Not a huge fan of standiing in line though.

Whether or not the food is good or bad, hot or cold is completely on the venue. 

My DH does plate-ups for sit-down meals right outside the doors into the room.  Everything is hot and at the right temperatures It's like an assembly line.   He has a bunch of chefs each putting on an item  on the plate.  After the last item goes on the plate the server takes it directly to the table.

Other venues will plate up, put a cover over it and keep it in a hot box for who knows how long.  That kind of plate-up will result in inconsistent temperatures and overcooked food.

Buffets are the same.  Some places will keep items in hot boxes for a long time  resulting in food becoming dried out and overcooked.  Other dont.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_buffet-or-sit-down-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:383035b7-d010-4b21-987c-9d4ba31d8ff1Post:05a1914b-89a7-4118-a0ee-98f3fa472eb9">Re: buffet or sit down dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our caterer ONLY did buffets -- they said that it's much easier to ensure good quality food that is kept at the right temperature.  Once food is plated it's hard to keep them warm without drying everything out.  However, when food is served buffet style, it's a lot easier for the caterer to control everything, and it generally ends up tasting much better.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Huh.  I feel it is the *exact* opposite.  Once placed in those large buffet servers, the food quickly becomes the wrong temperature or dried out.  With plates, the food is plated and immediately served.  I guess it really depends on how the kitchen is run.

I've been to far more plated dinners than buffet dinner weddings, but I much prefer plated.  It just seems more refined to me.  However, our AHR was a buffet!
  • Options
    We did family style. I personally don't like standing in line at buffett but didn't want to have to go through the work of do you want beef or chicken. My hall gave us two meats with the family style so everyone could pick & choose what they wanted without having to get up from their table and everyone ate at the same time.
  • Options
    I prefer a plated dinner.  If it's considered rude to ask guests to pay for drinks, or to not provide enough chairs during the ceremony for everyone to have a seat, why isn't it rude to ask your guests to shuffle through a line to get their food?  I agree with Joy about food drying out and not maintaining the correct temperature in the buffet trays.  I'm also one of those people that looks at a buffet and wonders how many people sneezed/coughed on the food, or dropped the tongs and fished them out with their bare hands.  Ugh.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_buffet-or-sit-down-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:383035b7-d010-4b21-987c-9d4ba31d8ff1Post:3fe81b30-4f0d-4cea-aca4-5bed0ce64309">Re: buffet or sit down dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: buffet or sit down dinner? : Huh.  I feel it is the *exact* opposite.  Once placed in those large buffet servers, the food quickly becomes the wrong temperature or dried out.  With plates, the food is plated and immediately served.  I guess it really depends on how the kitchen is run. I've been to far more plated dinners than buffet dinner weddings, but I much prefer plated.  It just seems more refined to me.  However, our AHR was a buffet!
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I guess it depends on the venue.  A lot of venues in my city don't have a full kitchen for the caterer to use to prepare the food, so it's mostly prepared off-site and brought in.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Still, it never hurts to ask your specific caterer what they would suggest for the specific meal you will be having.  Some foods hold well, some don't...some dishes might do better plated while others might do better in chafing dishes.   Your caterer should be able to tell you what is best for your specific venue and menu:-)

</div>
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_buffet-or-sit-down-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:383035b7-d010-4b21-987c-9d4ba31d8ff1Post:38ec5657-7bd7-4d20-a186-84535532ee37">Re: buffet or sit down dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your caterer should be able to tell you what is best for your specific venue and menu:-)
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Completely agree!
  • Options
    As you can see it's personal preference.  I prefer sit down dinners at weddings.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_buffet-or-sit-down-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:383035b7-d010-4b21-987c-9d4ba31d8ff1Post:c24ee4b6-f508-47ee-8ad1-0b93f965e098">Re: buffet or sit down dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to be the special snowflake. I hate buffets at weddings.  I don't want to stand in line in my finest clothes then have to carry a plate of food across a room. 
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

Ill be another special snowflake. I prefer seated meals. Aroudn here, plated meals are more common (at least in my circle, I guess)
  • Options
    I care more about the quality of the food than how I get it. I've had good and bad food served both ways. My least favorite is family style since my table can never seem to figure out how to pass food easily. My only problem with buffet is when there's not a separate dish for salad and I have lettuce all over my plate.
  • Options
    I was torn and our venue wasn't very plate friendly.

After a VERY heavy passed and stationary cocktail hour,  we opted to have a salad at their table already with baskets of foccaccia and rolls when they walk in.

Then we are doing 3 action stations so the food is hot and fresh and there isn't a wait. 

One pasta station where you can create all sorts of different concoctions with choices of fresh crab, scallops, shrimp or chicken or all of the above.

Then we have a carving station of filet mignon with grilled and roasted veggies. 

Our venue is very small and we are only having around 75 ppl so it's not like people have to walk across a massive ballroom and by the time they get to their seat, it's cold.

Small, compact and cooked fresh is what we went with.

I went to 5 wedding last year.

One was an amazing chef the bride knows who rolled out tapas all night long.  It was an ever evolving cocktail party.  Honestly, the food was TO DIE FOR.  I would stand in a line for an hour to eat that food again LOL.

Then we went to a wedding at an extremely posh and very historic and known hotel.  I was so excited to try the food.  It was plated.  My whole family and we all tried different items.  Half of it was cold, bad taste, or inconsistent. So disappointing.

Another one was a small intimate buffet and it was very tasty with lots of options.  It was tasteful.

Another one was a buffet.  The choices the bride made were bottom of the barrel, the cheapest options which were obvious to me as a bride planning.

It was on the beach so you had to truck thru heavy sand carrying bad food. I ate about two bites and we had drive thru food after.

So all in all - it's hit and miss.  The most expensive plated was horrible.  The cheap buffet was horrible.

The smaller and well thought out menus were better so we are hoping for something similar.

Our friends are a bunch of foodie brats like us. It will be VERY obvious in our small place if it's a hit or miss.

Luckily our caterer ha been around for 100 yrs literally.  They a local staple and have off the charts reviews from brides.  They have been super accomodating and are even recreating a couple of heirloom family recipes for the cocktail hour. Hopefully it will be wonderful.  Food can break a wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm another special snowflake that likes to find my seat and be comfortably served.  I don't want to stand in line at a formal wedding, which ours will be.  Inevitably, at buffet weddings it has taken forever to get my food because I always end up at the table that takes a long time to get called and then some people take an extra long time to figure out what they want and are not as hygienic about leaning and breathing or coughing over the food.  I haven't liked buffet food as much as plated either.  I feel like I have more say over what happens to my food when it comes straight from the kitchen to my seat.  Everyone who has eaten at our venue before says the food is fantastic so I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    One more special snowflake here.  In addition to all the pros that PPS have mentioned for a plated meal, it just feels more elegant to me.
  • Options
    It really comes down to personal preference.  I went to 3 weddings last year.  The first was a buffet, and it was amazing.  I personally like buffets because I am a picky eater.  Plus, their food was delicious!  Their DJ engaged us in a trivia competition while each table was called up, so I didn't mind waiting!  The second wedding was a potluck.  For this couple, this option made sense.  The reception went smoothly, and the variety of foods was great!  I don't recommend this though, as its a tad rude and INCREDIBLY stressful for the guests.  The last wedding was a plated meal.  The food was good, but nothing special.  Being a picky eater, I struggled because I was embarassed about not liking salad.  My fiancee really had a hard time, because he was following a low-carb diet.  He opted for the chicken, which ended up being breaded and stuffed, and served with a side of mashed potatoes and roasted sweet potatoes.  That's it.  So, he couldn't really eat much of anything.  We are choosing a buffet simply because we want guests to be able to choose what they eat.  We'll have plenty of options for our guests, and they'll be happy with that.  If you choose a buffet, just make sure that whoever is calling up tables spaces them out properly, so that guests don't have to stand in line for too long.  But if you go with the plated option, that's fine too!  There's really not a right or wrong way.  Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards