Catholic Weddings

Annulment Lack of Form?

Hello Ladies,
New to the board as far as posting been lurking for some time now! I am engaged! Yay! I was married before no kids. And divorced. I am Catholic ex husband was not. I called and spoke with the priest briefly at  my church and he said that we can do an annulment called "lack of form" and I need to bring in my baptismal certificate and etc. and he claims that it is fast and won't take long. But from what I have heard of about annulments they aren't very swift. I am ready to start planning the wedding but has anybody ever heard of this "lack of form" before and how it works? I don't want to be let down.
Thank so much!

Re: Annulment Lack of Form?

• ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Were you and your exH married in the Catholic Church?
  • edited December 2011
    From what I understand, the length of time for an annulment is affected by a number of factors.  I think the "lack of form" (which happens when you weren't married in the church) is the quickest, but that doesn't mean it can't take you a while.

As far as planning, many women on this board have put basic plans in action -- shopping for dresses, contacting vendors -- but the advice I have seen is to wait to put any money down.  You don't want to set a date, only to find out your first marriage either a) won't be annulled in time or b) won't be annulled at all.

Your priest is probably your best source of information here.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    No we were not at the JOP.
  • edited December 2011
    Good advice. Thanks!
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Now I see the lack of form.  A civil wedding for a Catholic is lack of form in most cases.

My annulment took around 6 months.  NYC seems to be one of the fastest places, could be the sheer number of annulments or the tribunal is faster/better staffed.  I have no clue.

Talk to your priest, it sounds as though he has a  good grasp on your situation.
  • KamakananiKamakanani member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From what I've found in researching and talking to my priest (as I'm in pretty much the same sort of situation) the lack of form is rather simple and can take as little as a couple weeks.  In my case, I need to provide a new copy of my baptismal certificate, a copy of the wedding liscence and a copy of the final divorce decree.

Hope all goes smoothly for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • _Dagney__Dagney_ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did that.
    It was no big deal. Just take care of everything as quickly as possible.
    I needed copies of our marriage certificate and divorce decree as well as 2 interviews with people who knew us at the time of the wedding.

Don't wait on it you don't want it hanging over your head.

• kap617kap617 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, sounds like Lack of Form to me, and should go pretty quick.  Not sure how quick, but it's the shortest process of all forms of annulments.

My annulment (well, my fiance's) was approved today! He and his ex were married at City Hall, neither are Catholic.  It's basically the most tedious annulment process of all.  It took 5 months; I'm in Philadelphia.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • newenglandorrnewenglandorr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just went through this with my FI who is Catholic, but was previously married by a JP in a non-religious ceremony. He had to bring in his baptismal certificate, marriage license, and divorce papers. Totaly turn-around time was less than 3 weeks. SO much easier than I anticipated and not a problem at all. Might vary from diocese to diocese - we are in northern VA.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards