Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Unpopular Opinions

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:031bed43-06bd-4604-a3f4-03a8c66dd359">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE] Conversely, whether or not you support a war, if you don't show respect for our troops I think you should be next on a plane over there to get your head chopped off and put on a stake.
    Posted by kate51485[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I hope I'd never be disrespectful to our troops, but as DH always says, he serves our country to guarantee that people like this have the right to act like ass holes if they want to.
  • Options
    war talk bores me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:a0928ca1-2f53-41ef-a0ad-5f6933ec59c7">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think that lamenting that our soldiers may have "died for nothing" is disrespecting the troops.  I think that many people against the war think it is awful, terrible, and tragic that these people are being sent to an ill-conceived and ill-executed war.  It may well be that, in the final analysis, none of the goals of these wars will be accomplished.  I honestly believe it is more respectful of the people who sign up to defend our country and our ideals to make damn sure that when they are sent to war, it's with identifiable, realistic objectives and the means to reach those objectives.  I don't think that people who fear that these soldiers may have died for nothing are disrespecting the troops' courage, honor, or sacrifice at all.  I do think they are disrespecting the decisions of the people conducting the war, however. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

I don't think I used the term "disrespectful" right? I was just saying that some war opponents are insensitive to soldiers and their families. I understand what you are saying though, but it really is difficult for many family members and friends of those lost to stomach "Your son/daughter/brother/sister/husband/wife died for nothing over there."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:18eb6a07-355d-40e5-a7c0-14429f29a88c">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish MrsE would come back.
    Posted by laladypoet[/QUOTE]
    That would be interesting to see.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:bb7400ea-be3b-4177-bc7d-8df1befcb1d9">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : the little boy i know who was mauled by the family's pit was simply reaching down to pick up the dog's toy. the dog had never shown aggression before. i don't care how sweet you think your dog is, it's irresponsible to have small kids around a dog that has so much potential to be dangerous. i know people who were snapped at by many different breeds, but most breeds bite and release or dont cause much damage in comparison to the damage pits cause.
    Posted by SarahSmile23[/QUOTE]

It's sad what happened, but I don't think it's that common. Perhaps the dog had a pervious owner that caused him to have an aggressive nature.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:0f1977ed-8e22-4207-b529-c970e1a06671">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]war talk bores me.
    Posted by laladypoet[/QUOTE]

I do agree with this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:bb7400ea-be3b-4177-bc7d-8df1befcb1d9">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : the little boy i know who was mauled by the family's pit was simply reaching down to pick up the dog's toy. the dog had never shown aggression before. i don't care how sweet you think your dog is, it's irresponsible to have small kids around a dog that has so much potential to be dangerous. i know people who were snapped at by many different breeds, but most breeds bite and release or dont cause much damage in comparison to the damage pits cause.

The kid was taking a high-value item, the toy, away from a dog.  Any repsonsible parent will teach their kid that you don't take toys or food from a dog, EVER, or touch their paws, or touch them when they're sleeping.  That's basic, and not breed dependent.  If you try to take a rawhide away from my 20 pound beagle, of course he's going to growl. 

It's sad that the kid was mauled, but honestly, the problem I see here is that the parents weren't supervising the situation or teaching the child the appropriate way to interact with a dog. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:2d6aa341-60ca-4cee-9090-af4eeaed7fab">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agreed with Cfa.  Pittbulls are not terrible, dangerous animals just because they are pitbulls.  They do have a fighting nature in them yes, but with proper training and discipline (just like ANY family dog needs), they can be perfectly safe pets and family members.  The problem comes when people who don't know whart they are getting into with a pitbull - or worse just don't care and WANT them to be mean - decide to get them.   Bad owners are the problem, not bad dogs. 
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]

i disagree. the family i know are responsible pet owners and have other dogs that are very well behaved. the pit had shown no aggression before. i think the problem is the amount of damage the average pit attack will cause vs the damage of the average lab attack.

i feel the same way about chows. we had them when i was a kid and they were as sweet as can be. but when i look back, i cannot believe my family allowed us to have chows when we were so young.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:cd965ccb-a572-4b5b-8fa8-2a185c302b22">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : That would be interesting to see.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    right? I'm curious as to what that little blonde bit of crazy has been up to.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:bb7400ea-be3b-4177-bc7d-8df1befcb1d9">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:

A baby around here was killed by a Jack Russel Terrier a couple of years ago.  Dogs are animals, and animals are unpredictable.  Parents have a responsibility to ensure their children are kept safe around all animals - whether they've shown aggression before or not, and whether they're of a typically aggressive breed or not.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Daff, I used ot have a boss who told me "that if you are jewish, a fetus isn't consider viable until it's accepted into medical school"

Yes, he was Jewish himself and yes he was joking.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:21939b32-2034-43c2-8ba3-59b63d0c4153">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions :  <strong> I definitely understand the difference between supporting the war and supporting our troops</strong>. I happen to support both, and I just wish that some individuals who don't support the war were a bit less crass with their remarks. It's fine if you don't support it, but be a bit more sensitive about it. N has lost several friends over there and it upsets both he and I when we see people protesting about how his friends died for nothing.
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

<div>I wish there were more people who understood that difference. I don't support this war, and there are far too many people who immediately accuse me of not supporting the troops. FWIW, I married a veteran of this war, so you can probably imagine that I don't take too kindly to people accusing me of not supporting the troops. DH is not a fan of this war either- even though he fought in it. It's amusing now that he's out of uniform to see what happens when people accuse HIM of not supporting the troops.</div>
  • Options
    I like seeing picture of friends with their baby bump, but it freaks me out when the photo is literally just the stomach.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:bb7400ea-be3b-4177-bc7d-8df1befcb1d9">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:

Sarah, I'm with you. I've known too many people who raised their pitbull correctly, and the dog still lashed out. My brother's former roommate had one, and raised it correctly from what I can tell. My brother has been around dogs his entire life and knows how to treat them, and pet them without antagonizing them. He still ended up going to the ER with his nostril hanging off his face. I'm biased about it, but I can't ever fully trust a pitbull.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I have little to no sympathy for rich people
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:6fbbe1c0-0b28-42b2-b94e-0e174b5dc1d4">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : A baby around here was killed by a Jack Russel Terrier a couple of years ago.  Dogs are animals, and animals are unpredictable.  Parents have a responsibility to ensure their children are kept safe around all animals - whether they've shown aggression before or not, and whether they're of a typically aggressive breed or not.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

::applauds::
  • Options
    Re: Welfare - people are already monitered and it is already not that easy to get. Remember the welfare reforms under Clinton? Plus we now have computer files on individuals collecting benefits.

Re: David's Bridal - I agree with you Meaghan, but... I got a dress at AA. Just a slight step up to most people. I felt great there. My consultant was amazing, prices are reasonable. Plus most independent stores from what I've seen can be a crapshoot as to what lines they carry, and most samples only go up to a size 12 (which is a street size 10, which I do NOT fit into).
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    in wedding related opinions...

I really don't care if people have HM registries. The whole point of registering to ask for things you want. If that includes a trip, so be it. The idea of 'paying for a sexfest' is lame and immature. I could say I'm not paying for bedsheets because you're going to have sex on them.

I also don't think of it as 'you shouldn't be asking for a HM if you can't afford it yourself.' Well, then don't register for anything, esp. fine china or vera wang crystal unless you can pay for it yourself. Pretty much all the supposed etiquette surrounding registries is stupid to me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:d45bd733-e976-4d38-9a92-f356108fd028">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get really annoyed when people here are total bitches to newbies right off the bat without even attempting to offer a word of advice.  FFS.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think some of it is unnecessary. If a newbie continues to be an idiot, though, fire away. (Said by a relative newbie).
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    To elaborate further on my previous sig post, I don't get Siggy Challenges.  Decide a subject, find a picture, post it.  Nothing challenging is involved in this process.  And most of the time it's not anything I care about knowing about the person. 
  • Options
    Poli - I love how they said their budget was so small. Um, large wedding parties get expensive really fast. People don't think about that.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:0e68bb8d-e318-432e-9e7d-4f855d4f5ff5">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : I don't think I used the term "disrespectful" right? I was just saying that some war opponents are insensitive to soldiers and their families. I understand what you are saying though, but it really is difficult for many family members and friends of those lost to stomach "Your son/daughter/brother/sister/husband/wife died for nothing over there."
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

I understand your perspective, too.  I guess I just hoped to soften what may seem like a backhand or being insensitive or disrespectful to soldiers and their families, because it is not meant that way.  For all the opponents of the war that I know, honestly the last thing they would want to do is to heap more pain on the families of soldiers lost in these wars. 

Is there a decent way to say "we honor and appreciate the sacrifice made" and also say that, from our point of view "these wars are not accomplishing their stated goals.  In fact, we fear they may be making things worse"?  I am not sure that there is a good way to say that. 
  • Options
    I had to give a pitbull the heimlich before.  I don't know if you're supposed to, but he was choking and I picked him up and started heaving.  It was one of the scariest moments ever. 
  • Options
    I think that most of AA's dresses are hideous.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:0836d1f9-17ac-4dd0-b2c5-fdef6f8b7fea">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like seeing picture of friends with their baby bump, but it freaks me out when the photo is literally just the stomach.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

<div>Ahh me too! I laughed out loud when I read this because it gives me the heebie jeebies.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Also... I don't like when people say "heebie jeebies".</div>
  • Options
    I think all weddings have a bit of cookie-cutterness to them.  Over-the-top creativity can be overrated.  Posts about trying to find "unique", "fun", "original" ideas for a wedding make my head want to explode.  I think your wedding will be unique because it's yours. 
  • Options
    I agree, Capri. All weddings are cookie-cutter to an extent.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:8b10559c-906d-4358-bfbf-e3edef838561">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : The kid was taking a high-value item, the toy, away from a dog.  Any repsonsible parent will teach their kid that you don't take toys or food from a dog, EVER, or touch their paws, or touch them when they're sleeping.  That's basic, and not breed dependent.  If you try to take a rawhide away from my 20 pound beagle, of course he's going to growl.  It's sad that the kid was mauled, but honestly, the problem I see here is that the parents weren't supervising the situation or teaching the child the appropriate way to interact with a dog. 
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]
    Children will be children. No amount of teaching will guarantee that the child won't attempt to play with the dog and be mauled. Yes, any breed of dog can attack. But the amount of damage a pit can cause vs most other breeds is horrible. Hence, my feeling that it's irresponsible for parents to bring small children around pits. Adults can do what they want. But small children don't understand that what they think is playing might be threatening behavior to the dog. To me, allowing your shamm child to play with an aggressive breed of dog ss akin to leaving your small child in the bathtub alone for 3 mins while you run to grab a phone call or accept a package at the door. Will the child probably be ok? Yes. But is it worth the risk?

This kid who was attacked looks like a burn victim from all of the tissue damage. I assumed he was a burn victim until his mom came to be crying because her boyfriend wanted to get another pit and she didn't want to risk any more viscous attacks. He's a sweet boy. :)
  • Options
    I wonder if they've done a study comparing pit bull behavior to other breeds when they are raised properly.  I'm not sure how they would do it, but it would be interesting.  I kind of agree with SarahSmile that pit bulls can be dangerous because they can inflict so much harm with their bite.  Maybe they really don't attack more than the next breed, but when they do, it's bad.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e719fbbf-2922-4331-938b-5c993b88929bPost:8231d528-e525-49ac-a274-075e024cdf68">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should be drug tested AND have to be on birth control (like the depo shot) to recieve welfare or government assistance.  A little too government-controly?  Perhaps.  If you don't like it, pay for your own sh*t. 
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]

Hell Yeah. totally agree. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards