Military Brides

Really cute question from my FI

Currently my FI's boat is in port and we've managed to make some good progress on wedding planning so I will be able to continue even after he leaves at the end of this month.  So, he was out with his buddies Monday night watching football and I was out with my own friends, but when he got home he asked me the cutest thing: "when do I get to wear a ring?"  It came out of nowhere and was absolutely adorable.  Since our wedding isn't until September 2011, is it weird if he starts wearing a band?  Input please!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Really cute question from my FI

• edited December 2011
    Also, should I buy it if he does get one since he bought me my engagement ring? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Their is a such thing as the mangagment ring... it is upto ya'll
    that is cute that he asked that though Smile
    Brittany and Matthew December 28 USAF- Proud Fianc? Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Awww!

DF was similar, after picking out my ring we picked a band for him as well. He hangs it with his tags when he's in the field and can't wear it. I don't think it's too weird, everyone who's talked about it with us thinks it's the sweetest thing and we know other couples who both have engagement rings as well. 

& it would be nice for you to purchase it if you have the funds, but being fairly non-traditional I think if he is in a much better financial position than you are then he can go ahead and buy it. 
  • edited December 2011
    That is too cute :) My friend just got engaged a few months ago and she bought her man an engagment ring too, I think it's really cute!  I would suggest getting something that has his birthstone in it! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think that's cute. Seems like he is just as excited as you. :) I don't really know what your asking. Are you asking if it would be ok, or is it the proper etiquette

As far as etiquette, IDK. There is an etiquette board that you can post this question on to get opinions. Just be sure to put on your subject, this is posted on another board. 

If you do decide to buy one, if you have the funds there, then I think that you should try to buy it.

No Amount Of Distance Can Seperate The HeartPhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Does he have any other rings he could wear when he goes out, and just put it on his ring hand?  H has his grandfather's wedding band and I found out that he actually wore it out a few times when he when out when we were engaged just to see what it felt like.  I though it was cute, and pretty funny too because I've never seen anyone do it. 

The only suggestion I would make would be that if you do buy him a ring to wear now, buy him a seperate one to be his wedding band.  I've heard its bad luck to wear your wedding band before the wedding anyways.  But also, they are supposed to be something sacred and have deep meaning, so wearing them before the wedding takes away from it (IMO). 

You could get him a sterling silver band for a decent price, or even a titanium or tungsten one if you wanted.  H and I just saw some of those at Wal-Mart the other day for like $75. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions! One of the things I was wondering about was letting him wear his wedding band and now I know that is not the way to go.  Since we are both Irish, we went and looked at claddagh rings but didn't find anything we liked.  On the plus side I figured out his ring size so now I'm on the hunt for one to surprise him with.  As for the finances, I am  still a student so there isn't too much extra spending money.  Hopefully I can find something before he gets underway next month!  Thanks again all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sldowdlesldowdle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI (active duty Army) asked the same question, so he got his "mangagement ring" as a birthday gift, just a month after the proposal.  As he doesn't normally wear rings, he wanted to "get used to wearing something" before our big day.  I got him a sterling silver version of his actual wedding band.
  • Ajb77Ajb77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my fiance and I ride motorcycles. He said something along the same lines, so I took him to the Harley store to pick out a Harley ring. Its his mangagement ring :)  Its fun enough thatits not going to be his real band, but somethign he gets to wear on his finger too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards