Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

In need of "words of wisdom" (Post is kind of long...)

Hello Everyone, I recently got engaged in February and I am new to this whole wedding planning "stuff." We are looking to have our wedding in October 2011 and after talking to some people they recommended looking around at reception places now to get an idea and to book asap, which I thought was a good idea being that Oct. is popular in Pittsburgh.

I looked up some places online and so far we looked at two places: 1) Timberhouse 2) PPG aquarium. The timberhouse was beautiful and all but wasn't too crazy about the set up. My fiance and I loved the aquarium. Here is where I need the words of wisdom...

Out of all the places that I threw together  the Aquarium is first and Timberhouse is second. My fiance is "kind of" set on doing it at the aquarium but it just seems soooo expensive. We would have no where to do the ceremony and there are a few other things I'm worried about. How do I tell him I liked it but not crazy about doing it there when he sort of has his heart set on it? When I think of wedding... I think of fancy, elegant, once in a lifetime thing. Although I'm far from the "fancy and elegant stuff." The aquarium would be totally us but... at the same time I don't want to spend the next 17 months worrying about different things.

Am I just being a wierd, freaked out for no reason bride to be?!

Re: In need of "words of wisdom" (Post is kind of long...)

• jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    when DH & i narrowed down our search, it came down to the grand hall and the lemont. i kind of had my heart set on the lemont, he was somewhat set on the grand hall. a few things about the grand hall i just didn't like, especially the fact that to have the ceremony there the room would have to be set up for the reception and the guests sit at their reception tables during the ceremony (the grand hall wasn't able to flip the room since it would be winter). DH & i discussed the venues, and when it came down to it he acknowledged that he liked the grand hall a bit more (he loves stained glass, which the grand hall had tons of) but said that he just didn't care that much at the end of the day. he said me being 100% happy with our venue choice was far more important to him.

so, my advice is to talk to your FI about the venues and hash out the things that both of you like and don't like. you never know, your FI may not have thought about some of the things that you don't like, and may agree with you.
  • megz3002megz3002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you. I def. will talk to him. He wants to be apart of everything which I love but he doesn't know all the "finer" details.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    good luck!!
    it might be worth taking another look in to some other venues to see if there is something else that the both of you might really love. you'll figure it out though! october is a busy month, but you've still got a good bit of time :)
  • edited December 2011
    Just out of curiosity, did you set a budget? I ask, just b/c you mentioned the expense of the Aquarium as possibly being an issue. People on here seem to recommend the PPG Aquarium and not find it too pricey, but it depends on what you consider pricey. I don't have any info about these 2 venues, but like jrsygrl said, talk about it with FI, even make a list of pros and cons (this is what I did when deciding bet. 2 venues). Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    If it is out of your budget (or a stretch) and your FI isn't crazy about it, I think you should keep looking until you find a place you both like.

Make a list of what you need to know about it. For example, not being able to have a ceremony there is a big concern...can't have a wedding without a ceremony! :)

There are tons of places to have a wedding, so I'd just keep looking until you find someplace you both like.

HTH!
  • megz3002megz3002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well we have 150 people so we have to do it in the Aquarium (not waters edge) after all the expenses of food and stuff it comes out to be $11,000 or so and that doesn't include ceremony spot and alchol. They charge $400 for a dance floor! I know you get alot for that price but my sisters wedding was like $8000 4 years ago and I feel really bad saying to my parents, oh here's my wedding that costs $13,000. We are about 45 minutes away from the aquarium and half my family won't know how to get there.
  • edited December 2011
    If you feel it is too much, you can cut your guest list down. You can choose not to rent the dance floor and just leave a clear space for dancing.

If you are counting on getting the money from your parents, you need to discuss with them how much they are willing to spend and what the budget is.

You will need to cover tips, alcohol, transportation, attire, flowers, photography, etc in addition to that 11k.

People will find their way to the zoo if you provide directions/map cards in your invites. HTH!
  • steff308steff308 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Timberhouse would be lovely in October with the autumn colors of the trees.  They do an awesome job plus have a great caterer--Beyond Parsely.  Which is more convenient for your guests?
  • edited December 2011
    Heres how I see it. You're lucky enough to have a man with an opinion in the wedding planning. That's great! However, I still believe that it is the woman that will be super attached to all the details of their wedding for years to come. While I am all for my guy being as involved as he can be, I believe that he would not mind at all if my pick came before his.

Just be wary of your budget! While a beautiful wedding is definately on my agenda, going into debt is not. Good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i dont have good things to say about beyond parsley myself. i grew up knowing them all too well. but that's my personal opinion. they continue to be a huge catering monstrosity that can't be stopped, so someone must like them.
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need to figure out your TOTAL budget first and foremost.  Like Kwynn said, there are many, many other wedding costs besides food, alcohol, and the location itself.  I would suggest you talk to your parents explicitly about exactly how much they are willing to contribute, then plug in your total budget into the Knot's budget calculator for a good basic breakdown.

IMO, you don't sound totally sold on either of these venues.  You've got time, so why don't you and your FI look at a few more together?  Seeing a place in person is very different from just seeing it online.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards