Not Engaged Yet

And the PW continues...Whats for dinner thread?

So, I got home early from work, with the intent to work from home. Then I found out that the paycheck the lawyer gave me bounced. So I'm making dinner, doing chores and trying not to think about the over draft fees I'm going to be racking up. (Don't worry, I'll be seeking reimbursement from him.)

I'm making Black bean and pumpkin chili tonight for dinner. I'm pretty excited to try it, right now it smells wonderful. I modified the recipe I found HERE. I used different spices (cumin, chili and ancho chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, crushed red paper flakes and some ground star anise.) I only used about 1-1.5 cups stock (that was all I had). But if it looks thin I'll add some beef bouillon/water at the end. I'm still trying to get the hang of slow cooking, so we shall see what happens.

So, what are you all doing for dinner tonight?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: And the PW continues...Whats for dinner thread?

• edited December 2011
    mmm sounds good!  I wish DH liked pumpkin more, because I'd love to try it.

we're having wild rice and chicken soup and BLTs with avocado, peppered bacon, and apricot preserves. 
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm contemplating making a salmon and rice pot pie tonight.
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness! I can't believe your paycheck bounced! You're in good spirits...I would be livid.

I really don't feel like cooking tonight- especially since it's my last day eating gluten for a bit. Nor do I want to be cooking when all the fun trick-or-treaters arrive.

We'll probably be getting Chipotle.
    But we won't be dressing up as a burrito: 

However....I will be roasting pumpkin seeds.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your dish sounds amazing!  Your boss, however, does not.  That SUCKS.

I'm going to probably make a homemade tomato sauce pasta with cheese...  and eat lots of candy bars!
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hazel, got a recipe?  That sounds delish.
  • edited December 2011
    I have this awesome new cookbook I have been cooking up a storm with lately. It's called "Desperation Dinners" and it's full of recipes that take 20 minutes or less. I love, love, love it because the recipes are delicious and easy, and I have a 60 minute commute (sometimes longer) and cooking is exhausting!

I  am making one called "Tuxedo Chicken" tonight. It's pretty much chicken, broccoli and bow tie pasta with a creamy sauce made from half-and-half, onions, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce and sour cream. It sounds amazing and I can't wait to try it!

Hazel, I concur - can you share that recipe?!

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I made enchiladas last night, so I'm sure we'll be having leftovers. We ate two out of eight enchiladas.  =)

And here's my super easy veggie enchilada recipe:

1/2 a green pepper, chopped
    1/2 an onion, chopped
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 can seasoned black beans
    1 can vegetarian refried beans
    1 can of sliced black olives
    1 large can of mild verde enchilada sauce
    1-1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used Safeway 2% Mexican blend)
    8 medium tortillas
    sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. Sautee the pepper and onion in vegetable oil. Add beans and about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce. Cook until heated. Add olives and stir. Remove from heat.

Pour some sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish (just enough to coat the bottom). Spoon bean mixture into tortillas and add cheese before rolling up and placing in baking dish. Cover with remaining sauce once all eight enchiladas are in the dish.

Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Top with additional cheese and bake for another 5 minutes. Top with sour cream if desired.
    edited December 2011
    That sounds great, Leia.  I would probably take out the olives and add chicken, but that's going to my bookmarked recipes.
  • jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm about to run to the grocery store and get stuff to make Turkey Chili. I'm thinking I'll also make a loaf of bread in my breadmaker, which I haven't used all summer.

I'm also doing Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing. We'll eat some ourselves, and give some to the neighbor kids whose parents we know well, and would be comfortable with homemade food.
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Elle and Bside - This (< - Link) is the recipe I started off with, but I never make it that way. The crust, salmon, soup, rice and chesse are always the same though. I basically do a stirfry of veggies that I have on hand to put in it. Tonight is likely celery, onions, peas or peppers. FI loves this and constantly asks for it.
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We're having lasagna :)

It's currently waiting in the fridge until BF gets home from work and puts it in the oven, but it's going to be AMAZING (at least, that's the goal)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pw-continueswhats-dinner-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a3c3b014-e140-4495-8df6-edf8fbb8d745Post:ca10952d-c0b0-4aa1-a6e0-968a1b0ab74c">Re: And the PW continues...Whats for dinner thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having lasagna :) It's currently waiting in the fridge until BF gets home from work and puts it in the oven, but it's going to be AMAZING (at least, that's the goal)
    Posted by Blue & White[/QUOTE]

MMMmm....lasagna. I haven't made lasagna in forever. Mostly because it's such a pain in the ass to make. But man do I love it. It's the ultimate comfort food! =D

Hazel - thanks for the link! I will probably omit the mushrooms, though!

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bside - I don't blame you :) The one time I did use mushrooms in it was a disappointment.
  • SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    All these recipes sound delish!

We are going to a neighbor's house for Halloween.  Every year, one neighbor hosts the other neighbors and we all bring something and put our candy bowls on a table for the kids to take. 

I will be making guacamole from avocados from the backyard and a cream cheese/black bean dip.  I'm sure there will be meatballs, buffalo chicken dip, and other standard munchies.

BTW - FI and I are dressing up as ourselves in 40 years.  I think it's funny because we are the youngest people in our neighborhood (by a longshot).  No one dressed up the last time we went, though.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • edited December 2011
    Tonight my family (my aunts, my dad and all my cousins, even the ones with kids) will meet at my grandmas house, like we always do.  My late grandfathers secret cincinnati style chili will be made....there will be three-ways and cheese coneys and we'll hang, have a couple adult beverages while the ones with kids (mine will be at his dad's this year, we rotate) go out for candy.  As I get older I really love this tradition! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am definitely coming down with some sort of cold/flu-type deal...I feel like death warmed over. I plan to go home and put on some pjs as soon as 5pm hits. I'd really love some chicken noodle soup for dinner, but we've already got pork chops marinading for dinner tonight... :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

edited December 2011
    Alright, I'm sort of taking inspiration from Hazel and I'm making fillo pastries stuffed with salmon, pesto, and spinach.  I'm not using a recipe, though.  Hopefully it comes out ok.
  • lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh man all those dinners sound so awesome. I wish I had made desert... oh well, candy it is then :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Holy cow.  Now I'm starved.

I just had a salad as my late lunch/dinner thing, and then I'll get real dinner at like 10 tonight after my run.  I don't get off work until 8, so....I'm at the mercy of whatever my parents decide to do for dinner.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pw-continueswhats-dinner-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a3c3b014-e140-4495-8df6-edf8fbb8d745Post:1f9d6d98-cf8c-4517-86e9-b189d3beb822">Re: And the PW continues...Whats for dinner thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Peek, I will send you some chili and apple pie!
    Posted by laurenb09[/QUOTE]

:(  I can't have apple pie
    I french with my man
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pw-continueswhats-dinner-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a3c3b014-e140-4495-8df6-edf8fbb8d745Post:f08609ce-a03e-4000-a6bb-cc4f9035f7ea">Re: And the PW continues...Whats for dinner thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alright, I'm sort of taking inspiration from Hazel and I'm making fillo pastries stuffed with salmon, pesto, and spinach.  I'm not using a recipe, though.  Hopefully it comes out ok.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

That sounds delicious! Let me know how it turns out.
  • edited December 2011
    lenon the recipe sound so yummy, wonder how it would work w/ vegetarian ground beef.

I am eating leftover sesame tofu from a chinese food order ove the weekend.  This week later on I am making an eggplant pasta cheese casserole thing, sounds super yummy too.

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pw-continueswhats-dinner-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a3c3b014-e140-4495-8df6-edf8fbb8d745Post:f96cebcb-6b55-40e1-95fe-6572fa4dd7ac">Re: And the PW continues...Whats for dinner thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: And the PW continues...Whats for dinner thread? : Brain fart...I will send you...something delicious that you can eat!
    Posted by laurenb09[/QUOTE]

Mom bought like 3 bushels of apples when we went to PA recently.  I may go home and pop a cup of slices into the oven with some cinnamon and sugar after my run for dessert :)
    I french with my man
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards