Georgia-Atlanta

The hunt for the perfect wedding photographer

Ok so I am at the point in my planning adventure where I need to find a photographer & a videographer.  Preferably a vendor that does both and has a ton of experience.  

I looked into a couple companies that do both, though either their prices where through the rafters or their work and experience was questionable. 

One company I like is Bella Photography, though since they are a national company I really don't get the feel that I will be working with just ONE specific artist.  

Any suggestions out there girls?

Thank you in advance 

Re: The hunt for the perfect wedding photographer

• edited December 2011
    I really fell in LOVE with Premier Wedding Photography!  Wow.. has anyone been on their website??  They have a client testimonial page a mile long with phone numbers to their previous clients.  Has anyone used them before?  Feedback please!  I am meeting with the director Christopher on Monday to go over their packages.  

If I could get some input from other brides that have used them I would be very grateful.  

I think their website is beautiful -> http://www.chrisbrock.org

I think its between them and Bella Photography.  I REALLY like Bella Photography!

• stiffakneestiffaknee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

One of my co-workers referred me to my *hopefully* photographer-She actually had a few friends that were wedding photographers! I myself wanted a photographer that would give me rights to all the photos, so I could pick which ones I wanted and print them as I please.  She spoke highly of altmix, which is a husband wife duo that she knows (went to college with) and another (which ill hopefully be using) Matthew Clark (i can send you his flickr page or if you're on facebook, look him up!)  I was also given good references for Katie Byars...

My fiance went to HS with this guy, David Shirk, who photographed a few friends weddings-I think his photos are really good, I guess it just depends on what you like!

I dont think any do videography, but I haven't asked (since I'm nixing the videographer!)

• edited December 2011
    Thank you that helps!  Though it is a must for me to find a local company that does both photography & videography :)

Honestly I couldn't imagine not having videography.  I want the photos to be great, but  without a well made movie, there is no way to rel-ive my wedding day that I will be putting over a year of planning into!  Ya know

There are really not a lot of companies that do both well.  I wonder why not???  Anyhooo, I will post on Monday and let everyone know how my meeting goes with Premier.  Thank you for everyone's input in advance!

Jenn
  • edited December 2011
    My fiancee and I will be using Premier Wedding Photography (chrisbrock.org) for our wedding! We decided to go the whole nine yards and get the photographer, videographer and DJ package. Since this is a big day in our lives we wanted the best. 

My sister got married last year and used Premier, and that is where I fell in love with their work. They gave her all the rights to the pictures (free of charge) with the package. That is one thing that really sold me on them. 

I know Chris will make my wedding day special and memorable for years to come! 
  • adrianzbrideadrianzbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most photographers focus solely on photography and aren't part of a larger company.  It would be hard for one person to do both photography and videography.  I know there are companies/groups who do, and I can see you're looking for one company to do both.  As for Premier Weddings, you might want to search the boards to see what others have said here about him/them, and also you could see if there are reviews anywhere else, like other wedding sites or kudzu or yelp. 

Good luck! :)
  • lavalorelavalore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photography and videography are such different media's that it will be hard to find a perfect version of both under one company. I would explore hiring them as seperate vendors. I have a friend thats a photographer and she gets offended when people ask her to shoot video for them, cause thats not what she does and they're not really interchangable.
    Please Don't use Bella! I have heard so many horror stories about them! The are an Umbrella company that employs many randome photographers across the country. You do not get to pick your actuall photographer, and once your photographer is randomly assigned to you, you only get a single phone conversation with them before your wedding day. Talk about impersonal! I want to get to know my photographer and feel comfortable wtih them before they follow me around for one of the most important days of my life!
    I would have to say i agree with the person above about searching wedding review sites about chris brock before you hire him. I've heard some really bad things about him, including how sleezy he is. My photographer friend knows someone that worked as his assistant for a day and then quit because he was being really inapropriate and pervy all day. Apparently even the Bride had said something to him about how he was addressing his assistant.
    I looked at a lot of amazing photographers in Atlanta before I found mine and can recommend some awesome photographers for you. Message me if you want their contact info.

good luck with the planning!!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the input

I really enjoy Christophers work and I have called a bunch of his previous brides off their REVIEWS page and everyone has nothing but great things to say about him.  I will do some more homework before I book, though getting a company that does both photography & videography is important.  Premier seems to be one of the few local companies that does both well.  I have watched their movies and looked through their photo gallery and I am really impressed.  One of the brides I spoke with said that it was Christopher and his father that shot her wedding.  She said she received over 4,000 photos from her big day! Now thats a lot!  Plus I think Christopher gives all the copyrights to everything.  Another bride I spoke with told me that Christopher's wedding movies were FANTASTIC and they even got it on BLU RAY in HD.  I'm sure there is good and bad about everyone out there.  Though the fact that I have direct access to Christophers previous brides on his website gives me a good piece of mind.  I read above that someone claimed he was sleazy??  From what I can tell off his photos and facebook page, he looks to be a attractive man that wouldn't have to be sleazy to get women.  Just my 2 cents :)  Anyways, hear say and gossip is one thing, though hearing it directly from the bride is another.  Ya know :)

Will post more feedback once I meet with him on Monday

• edited December 2011
    Response to lavalore, I didn't get the feeling that Chris was sleazy at all.  I had attended my sisters wedding that he covered and he was the hardest working vendor onsite that day.  I think I agree with Jennifer's post above, there is always good and bad things said about everyone.  Difference is there is facts and then gossip.  I really have to come to Christophers defense on this subject because I know he offers more professional experience in wedding photography and videography than ANY other vendor in the business.  For me that is the most important factor.  There is NO room for error on the wedding day and I feel the only way to assure that is to have someone that has extensive experience.  
  • 2become1.52become1.5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I suggest checking with the Better Business Bureau on Chris Brock. Sure, he may be professional 9/10 times, but from the horror strories I've heard when he misses- he misses the ball BIG time. He currently has 6 complaints lodged with the BBB.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thats all im saying, is look into him via sources that he's not providing, like the BBB. Of course he is only going to put review contacts on his site that will praise him. What competent business person would post reviews for the clients that he messed up? He wants your business/money so he will say what he has to in order to get it, he won't advertise that there were ever any "unhappy" customers in his past.

Personally i don't think that level of attractiveness has anything to do with a persons ability to be sleazy. Being sleazy and inapropriate to women is more of a personality flaw. It's not about "getting" women, it's more about feeling superior to them by talking down to them.

At the end of the day it's Your wedding, pick the vendors that You want and feel comfortable with. It's a gamble either way. I'm not trying to spread rumors or trash talk, i'm just trying to push people to make an truely informed decision. I've heard far too many people cry after their wedding because they picked a cheap/crappy vendor.

His recent ad on Craigslist : http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/tlg/1757378162.html
    i particularly like the part at the bottom where he is offering $200,000 compensation for a girlfriend/model. Just saying....

His reviews on WeddingWire.com :http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/premier-wedding-photography-atlanta/fd632761c098c877.html

His BBB page: http://www.bbb.org/atlanta/business-reviews/photography-sales/premier-photography-in-kennesaw-ga-27205315
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay. i just looked at his website and i have to say that is some horrible photography. the exposures are all off and the compositions are mundane and redundant. It actually is quite alarming to me that he has been a wedding photographer for over 10 years and his work is that low quality. Based on the low quality of the website alone i would not hire him for my wedding.

If you want to see some actual high quality photography from some talented photographers in Atlanta look at :

http://climie.com/

http://www.ourlaboroflove.com/#weddings-f4818

http://lianasbananas.com/

http://kellyembryweddings.com/

http://www.christinegallagher.net/

http://www.alecialaurenphotography.com/
  • edited December 2011
    I still love him.  For the money you can't beat it.  $2,500 and I get photography & videography plus the rights release.  When a man has shot as many weddings as Christopher, their are always going to be some "haters" out there posting BS.   I spoke with over a dozen of his previous brides and they were all VERY satisfied.  

And so the guy likes to have hot women around him.  What guy doesn't??  He's single, young and attractive.  Men will be men :)   

Also I looked at those other websites above and they are nice though kinda of boring.  I like the new edge flair that Christopher offers and again he does BOTH photography & videography :)
  • HazelEyes536HazelEyes536 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jennifer- dont feel the need to defend your decision or your photogs. This is your wedding, your decision.
    I dont know why Lavalor feels the need to post a bunch of negative things about him. you dont like his work, ok thats all you had to say!!

I personally like his work, and his prices are great! ill be calling him and speaking with him also!

• edited December 2011
    Thank you Hazel Eyes,

You know the one thing that I like is this.  NO OTHER wedding photographer has testimonials with their "Brides" phone numbers and email address's listed on the website.  I had spoke with several other wedding photographers before getting to Christopher and all the others when I asked for references told me no.  Christopher's website has at least a 100 testimonials with phone numbers and email address's for potential brides like me to follow up with his previous brides.  More I think about the bad things I hear they all have nothing to do with the quality of his work.  Ok so he likes attractive women.  What guy doesn't???  He is single and attractive too.  Also with a couple of the other bad things I heard, there are two sides to every story.  Brides are CRAZY I know, I'm a bride! 

So my thing is this.  If Christopher shoots 120 weddings a year and out of that if he has 2 or 3 unhappy brides a year, that is still a 97% happy bride ratio :)
  • HazelEyes536HazelEyes536 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So my thing is this.  If Christopher shoots 120 weddings a year and out of that if he has 2 or 3 unhappy brides a year, that is still a 97% happy bride ratio :)

i completly agree, and ill be calling hime one things settle down with my BFFs wedding this week!
  • edited December 2011
    I have to agree that the Craigslist "soul mate" ad was a little creepy. I would not want my wedding photographer trying to hook up on my wedding day, I'd want him doing his job! I also want a female photographer for my wedding. I am using Photography By Rebecca. Her website is www.rebeccabunch.com. I met her and she's great! Very professional but down to earth and knows what we as brides want. AND she only charges $499 for the whole day with full copyright release with your disk, She has great references too because I checked them!
  • edited December 2011
    I asked Christopher about his craigslist add and his response was this which made perfect sense to me

"I am completely focused on my brides wedding day.  Last thing on my mind is hooking up with someone while I am working.  My staff and I take capturing the wedding day memories EXTREMELY serious. So the REASON that I posted a add on craigslist looking for my mate is because I DON'T look to hook up while I am working.  I spend almost every waking moment working and editing weddings.  I don't do the bar or club scene so this leaves me almost ZERO time to date and find a girlfriend the old fashion way. Being 100% focused while working at weddings leads me to finding a mate in other ways, via internet.  NEVER have I had a complaint when it comes to my passion, focus and work ethic.  It is my absolute goal to make sure that my brides are happy & comfortable with my approach to the arts of wedding photography.  I hope this answer clarifies any concerns that you might have had about my method of dating :) "

• edited December 2011
    If you decide not to go with Christopher, check out Dan and Anne Almasy.  We are using them for our wedding in October.  We did our engagement shoot with them, and the photos turned out great.  They are amazing so far...tell them Marianne sent you.

www.danandanne.com

Good luck!
  • J*R4everJ*R4ever member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel you should go with Premier Wedding Photography, that is who I went with and loved the work! I really loved that fact that I got all the rights to my pictures and got over 3,000 pictures! I am sure the pictures and testimonials on his site speak for themselves, but I just wanted to put in my two cents! :)
  • edited December 2011
    All of the negative posts have NOT changed my mind! I am going to stick with Chris as my photographer! I have seen him in action and I know first hand he does his job well. He does whatever the bride and groom wants, since it is their day. He is really passionate about his job and it shows! I hope this really helps in the decision making!!!
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Use my photog, Fixed Focal Photography.

Jon and Ashley are amazing!  Here is there blog: www.fixedfocal.net!  You will not be disappointed.
  • edited December 2011
    Check out his facebook page.  He has over 750 brides that follow him there :)

• edited December 2011
    WOW!!! I have booked Chris also and honestly the reviews has me scared! I just pray that everything turns out well.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • edited December 2011
    Don't worry YasJas2011, it will be wonderful! I have seen him work first hand and have no negative remarks to say about him! 
  • edited December 2011
    I would totallly use chris, he is very professional and NEVER DROPS THE BALL!! i'm not to sure were some of these people are getting there negative comments, but chris rocks. he's done several of my friends weddings and hit the mark every single time.  the photos are the proof not what people say. he is doing my wedding and my mind wont be changed, good luck to all you brides.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards