Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

May, 2011 Date

I heard back from the Twentieth Century Club (Yay!) and they have all Saturdays for May, 2011 open, so FI and I need to come up with a date. The dates that month are May 7, 14, 21 and 28, which is Memorial Day weekend. If you were us and had no real connection to any date which would you chose? do you think the 21 would be weird b/c Memorial Day weekend is the weekend after? Do you think a holiday weekend is too risky?

I appreciate any help! thank you!
RT + JB
Wedding Countdown Ticker
The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.

Re: May, 2011 Date

• gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married May 28, 2011!!! I wanted to do it mem. day weekend b/c i have alot of oot guests and I figured it would be good to give them a long weekend to enjoy pittsburgh! I'm sending out STD'S sometime within the next two months to give people a lot of advance notice so they dont make memorial day plans for next year!! I was torn btwn may 14 and 28 but I wanted to have it a bit closer to june so the weather might be a bit warmer! GL!!
  • edited December 2011
    Really, you are sending STD already?! How many people are you having? Should I be sending some out? I am only having about 100 people...
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I had my wedding the Saturday of Labor Day weekend because I had almost all OOT guests. it gave them an extra day to travel, and to explore the city if they wanted.

I would definitely not send STDs over a year in advance. i think that is a waste of paper, since people won't remember and 2011 calendars aren't even out. I sent STDs about 8 months in advance. If you are really concerned, I would do a year in advance AT MOST.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Have you checked with your ceremony site yet? (If it is different than the reception site). I'd check in with your church and see what they have available and when, and then make my decision based off that.

Also, are there any MUST have vendors for you? I called my photog before officially picking a day to pick one he had available.

HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Our ceremony is in the same spot, so that isn't a concern. I will think of must have vendors and talk to them!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I def agree with Nunu about STDs- when I get one- I write down the date immediately. And without 2011 calenders yet... its a bit hard to do that. But if you have a ton ofOOT guests, or have a OOT wedding, early STDs are good

I'm getting married the weekend before Memorial Day- so that's my preference. I dont have a ton of OOT guests, so that made the difference. Plus I was thinking for anniversaries, I'd rather have 2 holidays to celebrate (ann and mem day) rather then 1 combined one. just my opinion tho!
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah - I was going to wait until this May (possibly June) to send my STD's out... which is only a few months away! Ours is going to be pretty big - 250-275 ppl and about 1/2 are OOT so I wanted to give them enough time to plan (esp. b/c it's a holiday weekend).  You don't have to do STD's at all if you don't want but I wanted to b/c of the amount of OOT guests...

I agree that I would check with vendors taht you are sure you want before you set the date (unless a certain date is special to you for any reason)... :) yay for May 2011!
  • edited December 2011
    I am partial to May 14th, since it's near the date we got married, but that is being totally biased. Tongue out Like marburs, we got married the weekend before Memorial Day. I pretty much just chose a weekend at random. I also thought about weather- I didn't think the beginning of May would be warm enough, didn't want to do Memorial Day, and the Sat. after our wedding is my mom's b-day, so that was out.

I see nothing weird about the weekend before Memorial Day. As for the holiday weekend, it just depends on your guests. Are a lot from OOT? You'd just have to be prepared for possibly more "no's", even if you do send out STDs early.

GL deciding, and yay for May weddings!
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ohhhh just a thought - STAY AWAY from mother's day weekend - flowers are RIDICULOUSLY marked up that weekend (which I believe is may 8 in 2011)!! That's what they told us...
  • edited December 2011
    OOOOOO! Thank you GMC! Great point!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Also think about any graduations in your family.  I'm not sure if you have any college kids graduating that would interfere around the beginning of the month.  

High school seems to be graduating in June around here, so you should be safe.  

Just a thought :)  I know if I were to get married in May/June 2011 my brother and sister both graduate for school (HS and College)
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any opinion on your date. They all sound good to me :) I just wanted to say- isn't Judy great? She gets back to you sooo quickly! She is even sending me seating layouts!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_may-2011-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:b8de85d0-8f9a-4e6a-9e81-a94237e73604Post:6317881d-af00-48ca-bdd6-4127c5501634">Re: May, 2011 Date</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also think about any graduations in your family.  I'm not sure if you have any college kids graduating that would interfere around the beginning of the month.   High school seems to be graduating in June around here, so you should be safe.   Just a thought :)  I know if I were to get married in May/June 2011 my brother and sister both graduate for school (HS and College)
    Posted by duqcheer04[/QUOTE]

Way late here, but that's a good point. Our May 16th wedding coincided with a few graduations, and I was bummed that those guests couldn't make it. But my one good friend skipped his college graduation just to come to our wedding! So I look at it as, if someone really wants to be there, he or she will. Consider graduations, but don't try to book your date around your guests' plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards