Wedding Etiquette Forum

Glory Days.

As H and I were on our way to the gym last night, we heard a familiar sound.  A jingle.  A "walk"-jingle."walk"-jingle.

Yes, yes.  It was the comforting sound of a letterman jacket decked out in medals pursuant to a state track win or a football division title. 

Nostalgia was immediately replaced by horror as we viewed the year "1996" on said jacket.  Ripped up jeans and an Alice Cooper t-shirt (from the 1988 Summer tour) completed the ensemble.  The messy hair he attempted to create resembled more of a mullet than anything. 

H attempted to suffocate a giggle as I immediately busted out with the opening riff to Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days."  An air guitar may or may not have been involved.

I also thought it appropriate to do a splits in the air (ala David Lee Roth in the music video "Jump").  I failed to take into account the ice and when I came down from the leap, I almost slipped and slammed against a bush. 

My groin muscle is torn and I can barely walk. 

Is it just me?  Is it just us?  I have not worn my letterman jacket since graduation from college. (haha, kidding)  Do people still do this?  Is it a regional thing?

Re: Glory Days.

• Wow...it's like you went back in time!
    I don't think I've ever seen someone wearing a letterman jacket. Even when I was in high school.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Bwahaha!  He must have been quite a sight.  You responded in the only appropriate way.  Way to take one for the team.  :-) 
  • Ditto, I don't think I've seen a letterman jacket on anyone outside of an 80's movie.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • I don't think I've seen anyone other than a high school kid in a letterman jacket in a good long while. Thank God. 

I also tore a groin muscle last summer trying to do stuff that I was perfectly capable of in high school.  Getting older is a biitch sometimes.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Aw man, I graduated from HS in 1990.

I thought I was the coolest thing ever when I wore my boyfriends letterman jacket. Never mind that he lettered in marching band.

(this is a true story)
  • I haven't worn mine since the early spring of my senior year (in HS, of course).  I was more of a clanker, myself ;) hahaha.

I remember laughing at the people who would wear their letter jackets on the college campus.

OR, I knew a guy in high school that wore his letter jacket...except he didn't have a letter.  Not until Senior year, when he got the obligatory, hey thanks for not giving up letter.  Yet he still wore that letter-less jacket proudly.
  • I had a Varsity lettered fleece in high school, but I never wore it after graduating.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I got an academic letter and a letter for being on the golf team. But I never bought a jacket.
  • Vally, you are mucho lame.  Letter jackets are where it's at. 
  • I too was the cat's ass when I wore BF's jacket!
  • I wore one for my senior year and never again afterwards.  It's still hanging in the closet in the back, I haven't figured out what to do with it.

He sounds sad, hopefully he doesn't think high school was the best time of his life and nothing else comes close.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_glory-days?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9af578d4-a405-403e-bd09-89ffef72f831Post:91e95c7b-11de-406f-8bfa-56aff6ba33aa">Re: Glory Days.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vally, you are mucho lame.  Letter jackets are where it's at. 
    Posted by JK10910[/QUOTE]

No way you just called me awesome. No takebacks.

I do remember the spring semester of my Junior year when everyone came back from Christmas break and flaunted their letter jackets that they got as a present. Some people had all leahter, some had just the leather arms (barf) and some had no leather. I almost wanted one but I quickly got over that. I also didn't get a high school ring. I'm so deprived.
  • It also bothers me tremendously when I see adults wearing their high school class ring.  I still have my class ring.  In a jewelry box at home, like  a normal person. On the other hand, I have zero problem with people wearing their college ring.  I don't know what the difference is for me.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Uh oh, you've just insulted my leather arms letter jacket!  To be fair, that was the only kind they had when I got mine.  I (along with two other swim team freshmen) thought we were hot shiit when we were the only freshman in our entire class of 700 to have our letter jackets for that first winter.  Yeah, we were sooooooo cool.

It's still hanging in my closet at my parent's house. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_glory-days?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9af578d4-a405-403e-bd09-89ffef72f831Post:c06cde2d-0b03-4417-8198-a7e8b508a27c">Re: Glory Days.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uh oh, you've just insulted my leather arms letter jacket!  To be fair, that was the only kind they had when I got mine.  I (along with two other swim team freshmen) thought we were hot shiit when we were the only freshman in our entire class of 700 to have our letter jackets for that first winter.  Yeah, we were sooooooo cool. It's still hanging in my closet at my parent's house. 
    Posted by JK10910[/QUOTE]

:) heehee. My high school's colors were red and black so people would get the black jacket with contrasting red sleeves. Yuck!
  • I wore mine in college, and after college until I could afford a better coat, which was thankfully the first winter after college.  It was the warmest one I owned. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Hey, red arms is better than black wool torso with mustard yellow leather sleeves.  Our colors were black and yellow, and apparently mustard yellow is the closest they can get with leather to bright yellow.  Blech.
  • No, in fact, I specifically didn't buy a letter jacket for that reason--I played soccer, which was a spring sport for the girls, so the earliest I could have got my jacket was the summer before senior year, meaning I could only wear it in socially acceptable circumstances for about 8 months.  So I skipped it and wore my boyfriend's. 

I thought I was pretty cool because my BF went to a rival HS and he was a big shot basketball and golf star.  However, people laughed at me for wearing his jacket because our last names were only one letter apart and subjected us to endless "kissing cousin" jokes.  FAIL.

At our school, we had a lot of options.  I wish I had lettered in something other than soccer, because I would have liked to have had one.  Our colors were maroon, silver, and white, and you could get grey jackets, grey with maroon leather sleeves, solid maroon, or maroon with grey leather sleeves.  Or you could get those fugly sailor flap ones, but only the band and drama losers wore those (sorry band letterers, I laugh at you.  It's ok because you probably would have perpetuated the rumors about my boyfriend being my cousin, so we're even).
  • I could never wear a letterman's jacket because we had the worst school colors ever.  PEE AND POOH.

• I had a wool letterman's jacket with my music letter and a bunch of academic pins (yeah, I was THAT cool). My mom tried to get me to take it to college, but I knew just how sad that would be, and left it at home. It's still in their closet.

And about the groin injury: Ouuuuuuuch. I told FI your story, and he recommended a Springsteen knee-slide over a Roth jump next time.
  • I was a band letterer (and track), but I did NOT want the sailor flap. Only our cheerleaders got those. Ours were all black, wool with leather arms. The trim was black and gold striped and all of our patches were gold and white.

I grew up in a relatively warm area (south louisiana) and went to college in Texas, so it really was the warmest coat I owned. And it was free for lettering in band .
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_glory-days?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9af578d4-a405-403e-bd09-89ffef72f831Post:50669b9c-7dda-4e0b-a866-d0bcf226a6fd">Re: Glory Days.</a>:
    [QUOTE]He sounds sad, hopefully he doesn't think high school was the best time of his life and nothing else comes close.
    Posted by mocha beans[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Dazed and Confused:

"All I'm saying is that if I start refering to these as the best years of my life... remind me to kill myself."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Oh, our colors were blue and orange, but luckily the had the sense to make the body blue wool and the sleeves were a very neutral beigey/light tan color. 
  • Our cheerleaders never wore them.  I always wondered why.  I guess it's because they spent $300 on their competition uniforms, which is more than I spent on my prom dress.

They wore their warm-up suits a lot though.  I wonder if they still wear those.
  • What on earth are you guys talking about? You got letters and you stuck them on jackets, what???
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_glory-days?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9af578d4-a405-403e-bd09-89ffef72f831Post:c3def7b0-05d9-4609-9180-737a2bbf8a30">Re: Glory Days.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our cheerleaders never wore them.  I always wondered why.  I guess it's because they spent $300 on their competition uniforms, which is more than I spent on my prom dress. They wore their warm-up suits a lot though.  I wonder if they still wear those.
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

I think if my sister still fit into her cheerleading warm ups she'd still wear them.  She is a definite "live in the glory days" type of person. 
  • Our volleyball team and soccer team would get to wear their warm-ups to school on competition days. Which was awesome because we had a strict dress code (skirts or dresses), so they really appreciated it.

My middle school colors were purple and gold, but my high school colors were normal - green and white. My mom's high school colors were orange and black. They were the tigers. AND she was a cheerleader, so other schools made fun of their uniforms.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_glory-days?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9af578d4-a405-403e-bd09-89ffef72f831Post:c1f6305d-233b-4411-b5ad-50d7ca656144">Re: Glory Days.</a>:
    [QUOTE]What on earth are you guys talking about? You got letters and you stuck them on jackets, what???
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

LOL - In high school (or college) you have a jacket in your school colors (normally the jacket is one color and the sleeves are leather and in the other school color)  The school name and your last name are on the back and then the sports you lettered in.  Some jackets have the sports listed, others have the letters themselves with the pins attached to it. 
  • Google Image "letterman jacket." 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards