Chit Chat

Are you inviting someone famous to your wedding?

I was just wondering how many of you are inviting someone famous to your wedding and who? I just recently heard a lot of people are actually doing this and receiving a letter or gift in return. Even though there's a 99.9% chance they will decline,  I think it would be a great keepsake, even to just get a letter.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Are you inviting someone famous to your wedding?

• I meant to send a wedding invitation to Dave Grohl because DH is a huge fan, but it slipped my mind.  I felt kind of weird doing it, so it's probably for the best.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • We are planning on sending on to Ray Romano, who is FI's absolute favorite actor, just because we can.  It would be awesome to get a letter back - even better if he would show up!

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I heard someone inviting disney characters. Mickey mouse in particular.
  • We didn't, and I don't really regret it.
  • trinalotrinalo member
    First Comment
    Ha. I kind of want to invite Neil Patrick Harris.
  • I would love to but I don't think LONE STAR is avaible.....My family knows them but no lost i ilke their songs ...
  • I would love to invite NPH! Maybe he would sing or something haha... But we're not inviting people we don't know, that just seems really weird to me. A few of the people we are inviting are well known, but not famous and we actually know them and they mean something to us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • soze82soze82 member
    First Comment
    We invited President Obama! I heard that if you send an invite they will send a congratulations and I thought that would be neat for my scrapbook!
    Jen
  • I've never heard of doing this.  How interesting!
  • I have never heard of inviting a celebrity just randomly like that. I don't think I would ever have the guts to do that, but I think it would be kinda fun to get a reply back, even if it's generic.
  • We invited the Obamas and got a really nice card back.  Good for the scrapbook.
  • I just put the Obamas on our guest list!! Being in Chicago, they just might show up. LOL!!
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • I'm planning to invite Sen. John McCain, and John Travolta.  Thinking about sending an invitation to Hugh Hefner, and Tobey Keith or Rascal Flatts.  Still considering Obama, but neither one of us care for him so...
    Anniversary
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker

I sent an invitation to the Obamas and to Adam Carolla.  I love Adam - he's my big time crush right now. 

• Im sending one to Jimmy Buffett. FH is a HUGE fan!
    Augu 2010 July Siggy Challenge- Favorite Wedding Item!
    Our Boston Terrier Cake Topper!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    177 image 130 image 24 image 23 image
    RSVP Date July 21 Magic Number 150
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_inviting-someone-famous-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e8d6338d-2ab0-4119-ad6c-be2f804268c3Post:c13a9554-c8b5-4bc0-b697-3e28b13c93cc">Re: Are you inviting someone famous to your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just put the Obamas on our guest list!! Being in Chicago, they just might show up. LOL!!
    Posted by MISSCOURTNEY20[/QUOTE]
    Are they giong to be in Chicago at the time of your wedding or DC?
  • This sounds great.=)
  • Oh man, I might just have to send the President and First Lady an invite....Maybe Johnny Depp....Vincent D'Onofrio.....Ray Manzerek.....dude, if any of those people actually responded, I think I'd have a heart attack
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I never heard of this before, aside from inviting the president. I am having my wedding at Dodger Stadium. I think I might send an invite to the current players and see what happens.
  • Nah, its not like they truly care. A secretary prints something from a mail merge of all the requests they got that day and the person may or may not actually sign it (probably not in the case of Mickey Mouse). I don't see how that is special, or worthy of keeping.

Oh, and just in case anyone is thinking it, you have to pay, be a Catholic in good standing, and request through your Bishop to get a blessing from the Pope. Its untrue that you just have to send him an invitation.

Another point, why would I invite a celebrity to my wedding? This may sound selfish, but if Johnny Depp actually attended my wedding, it would only be remembered as " that party where Johnny Depp showed up", not our wedding. And why invite someone that you really don't want to be there...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • @ Simply, no I live in Chicago. It was really just a joke, but I am going to send the invite though. LOL!!!
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • I heard a rumor that if you invite Bill Murray, he comes!
  • Never even thought of this. Totally considering inviting: The Obamas, Bruce Springsteen and of course Bill Murray now! Hahaha
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_inviting-someone-famous-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e8d6338d-2ab0-4119-ad6c-be2f804268c3Post:353e1f9b-a2f2-4472-b471-105d80cf5d99">Re: Are you inviting someone famous to your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Never even thought of this. Totally considering inviting: The Obamas, Bruce Springsteen and of course Bill Murray now! Hahaha
    Posted by LiaDee[/QUOTE]
    I'm copying your celebrity guest list!
  • Sort of related - as a wedding gift to his wife, my friend's DH sent over 400 letters to celebrities asking for a short note of marriage advice for him and his new wife. He got about 150 responses back and made a whole scrapbook for her with notes from everyone from President Obama to Michael Jordan to John Travolta. It's on their coffee table and super fun to look through!
  • Our favorite singer (Jonah Matranga) is coming to play for the first 30 minutes of our wedding - when we met him HE BROUGHT IT UP!  We almost passed out.   He is even combining our two wedding songs to make a unique one and we're gonna surprise our parents by having him also perform the parent dances.  He is going to record our wedding song as a wedding gift!!!

I think we're more excited about him being there than the actual wedding!

• My FI's friend's cousin is Alan Rickman!!! I really want to invite him but I think I'd just feel stupid... And possibly die if he really showed!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_inviting-someone-famous-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:e8d6338d-2ab0-4119-ad6c-be2f804268c3Post:cc6492e0-e08a-4b2f-8842-bc35102e8ef4">Re: Are you inviting someone famous to your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We invited President Obama! I heard that if you send an invite they will send a congratulations and I thought that would be neat for my scrapbook!
    Posted by soze82[/QUOTE]

We did this any they sent us a letter saying thier daughters had a play or something going on that weekend.  It was cute and it got a place into the scrapbook.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love the idea of asking celebs for marriage advice...i don't know if they would be  very good at giving out advice though considering most of their track records lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Haha, very good point!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards