African American Weddings

NWR: Graduation Gift Etiquette Question

The background on this situation, the young lady in question is my cousin's stepdaughter who I've met maybe 3 times in person eventhough he has been married to her mom for 6 or 7 years. I'm friends on FB with her like some of my other Fb friends who are family members, some I have never met either or very few times. I occasionally might respond to a post on her page but really nothing else to say since I'm 30 and this a 17 y/o.

Well her mother sent a FB event invite to her daughter's graduation. I declined due to my work schedule and posted on her wall "Congrats and unable to attend!" Well her mom(cousin's wife) responded with this ...." Aww....well that means you can afford a generous graduation gift! Plus she's a honor student that really deserves a GIFT,huh?! Just saying! LOL"  I was taken back for a second because I was going to send her $20 anyway. I wanted to say make sure for my wedding to do the same but said nothing.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

Re: NWR: Graduation Gift Etiquette Question

• tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL! I like your response... that you didn't send. But uhhh... $20 IS generous seeing as though you really don't know her.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_nwr-graduation-gift-etiquette-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:4c9f9833-d0e7-4df7-a1e6-93346b2d4509Post:3b5686f7-94d4-4288-b2f1-53b4cfc4693c">Re: NWR: Graduation Gift Etiquette Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOL! I like your response... that you didn't send. But uhhh... $20 IS generous seeing as though you really don't know her.
    Posted by tyboyd[/QUOTE]

The crazy part my aunt, the cousin's mom complains about the little girl due to her barely talking around here. Here my aunt had bbq, gtg and holidays and she said the girl actually held a conversation with her the first time last year. The girl hardly spoke if any to her and when she would send gifts, the mom would send my aunt a "thank you" response by text and say from her daughter. I thought that was rude. You should either call me personally and send a card to thank, not have your mom text me.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh! IDK. I've been a lil mean here lately, so at this point, I'd be sending nothing! lol. I'm so over people! GOOOOOOOOOOSH!!! *Vent over*
  • edited December 2011
    TACKY!!!!! Send those $20 and keep it moving! I can't stand when people are like that!

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    $20 and a thumbs up seem generous to me , lol
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Yes very RUDE, she's lucky to get the $20. My little sister graduates from highschool next month. She's getting $50 and a GC from IKEA, since shes moving away to school that will help her out to get new stuff for her apt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards