Getting in Shape

Friday [New Member]

OK, I hope I'm doing this right....(sorry if I'm not!!)

I am getting married to my best friend in the world next fall. I want to look amazing in my dress...not just for him, but for me too.  He'll love me no matter what size I am or even if I wore a gunny sack down the aisle, but *I* want to be proud of how I look on that day.

For a lot of years I let myself go and now I'm paying the price.  I'm finally in a place where I am able to try and get back into some sort of shape. I want to look better, feel better, and improve my health.

So far I have started counting calories and trying to limit my sweets ( I have a sweet tooth for sure...chocolate is my downfall ).  I've been trying to work out 3x per week to start and work my way up to 5+x/week.

I'm trying to do the original P90 dvds...but a friend mentioned she does TurboJam... does anyone have an input on that program? 

I'm really out of shape (I mean REALLY) so I'm afraid to buy something that there's no way I could do until way down the line.

I'd really appreciate any advice or ideas.  My big goal is to lose 80+ lbs in the next year, but right now I'm just taking it a day (and a pound) at a time.

Thanks in advance!
~*~ We are just two people who found each other. No more, no less. ~*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest My journey to a better me.

Re: Friday [New Member]

• My advise for you with the workout is to find something that you enjoy doing.  I hate work out videos but would buy them only to have them sit on the table and collect dust.  I love to read and I love to walk, so I go to the gym 5 times a week, and I read a book during my workouts.  And then I try to get out for at least 2 walks a week on top of the gym.   So find something you like so you can keep with it.

Also WW is working wonders for me food wise!  The new program is amazing I'm donw 36 pounds in 3 months and I don't deprive myself I even have my sweets!  I find it is completely work the $40 a month I have to pay to go to the meetings.
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • It is great that you are starting now so that your goal can be realistically obtained.  I have a similar ultimate goal that i would like to hit by my wedding next June.

Definitely find something you enjoy doing for your workouts.  Personally, I found the P90X videos too difficult to enjoy when I was out of shape.  I was taking too many breaks and just felt like I couldn't make it through all of the DVDs.  I plan to try it again in a few months when I am better in shape.  The turbo jam movies were fun.  Very similar to kick boxing if you have ever tried.

Good luck with your weight loss goal.  Keep us posted on your progress!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you for the reply!  Yes, the P90X is waaaay to intimidating to me... I've been using the original version which is much easier to pick up (but still a heck of a work out). 

I really love kickboxing so I might try and pick up a used copy of the first TurboJam dvd on amazon or something and see how I like it.  They have a whole "starter kit" with everything in it... but it's around 70-80$ and I'm not sure I want to spend $$ if I don't know if I'll stick with it.

Thanks again for the replies and encouragement!
    ~*~ We are just two people who found each other. No more, no less. ~*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest My journey to a better me.
  • The whole concept of P90X scares me. Like, I think I might die scares me. But I've done Turbo Jam for a couple years now and love it. I got the cheaper one off Amazon (just the DVD without the whole kit). I also got my mom to start doing it. She'd been doing nothing other than walking the dog and had no problems jumping in with it. You can definitely work your way up to the full 40 minute workout without feeling like you're going to die - there's the Learn and Burn which basically teaches you the moves, then there's the 20 minute workout and the 40 minute one. And it has Turbo Sculpt which is 40 minutes of weight lifting. Oh, and there are 2 ab workouts on it, too. Like I said - I love it and think it's pretty easy to stick with. Does your library have a copy you could check out to try it out before you buy it?
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards