Missouri-St Louis

Recommend your bakery

I'm looking for an affordable cake for about 75 people, three tiered, and a few fillings.  Most importantly, the cake has to be tasty!

Right now, I'm considering Carondelet Bakery but I haven't been able to get in touch with other bakeries...they are very unresponsive.

Who do you recommend?

Re: Recommend your bakery

• edited December 2011
    The Sugary! Pam was great to work with, and everything was so tasty that it was hard to decide. She also has cost saving tips! Like getting a small cake that you can afford and then getting backup sheet cakes to feed everyone.
  • edited December 2011
    We used Harter Bakery in Arnold.  Three square tiers, ivory buttercream frosting, piped purple design similar to what we had on our invitations.  Top tier was white cake with lemon filling, middle tier was yellow and chocolate marble with buttercream filling, and the bottom tier was chocolate with raspberry filling.  I think it was enough for 130, which I was fine with even though we had 150 guests.  We also had a whole dessert buffet with pies, cookies, cannolis, and candy, so not everyone ate cake.  We had enough to take home a little of the bottom tier.  Everyone told us it was wonderful (you could smell the buttercream when you walked in the room).  All together with the "upgrades" (square tiers, ivory tinted buttercream) it ended up being around $450, or about $3.50 per very generous slice.  They were recommended by a family friend, and we were overall pretty pleased with the outcome.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
  • klgrh6klgrh6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wedding Wonderland Cakes! They are amazing. We're getting 3 favors: marble, strawberry, and banana. So good and very reasonable pricing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    McArthurs!!
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Cakery in dogtown!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_recommend-bakery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:87Discussion:b2ad4d8a-9831-4486-a73e-edad422ca64ePost:8e271c3a-2a75-4221-b905-b99da1662eae">Re: Recommend your bakery</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Cakery in dogtown!
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

Ditto. This is where we're going. I wouldn't say they are inexpensive, but they don't nickle and dime you for some stuff like some of the other bakeries do. And I've never had wedding cake anywhere that I've liked as much as theirs.  If you've ever had cupcakes at The Cupcakery, I think they're owned by the same people.
  • kdbisopkdbisop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We chose the Cakery but we love the Cakery & the sugaree. 
  • edited December 2011
    We used Lubeley's and they were wonderful.  They were also less than half the price of The Cakery for the same cake, so unless something has drastically changed in 15 mos, The Cakery was the most expensive place we tasted.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_recommend-bakery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:87Discussion:b2ad4d8a-9831-4486-a73e-edad422ca64ePost:1c0e0677-6fa0-4efc-8b54-b0d36cca4340">Re: Recommend your bakery</a>:
    [QUOTE]We used Lubeley's and they were wonderful.  They were also less than half the price of The Cakery for the same cake, so unless something has drastically changed in 15 mos, The Cakery was the most expensive place we tasted.
    Posted by maryandkirk0909[/QUOTE]

And it tasted as good? The Cakery is seriously the best wedding cake I've ever tasted (granted that's only about 10 weddings + tastings there and another very respected place). But I'm partial. I never thought I'd be excited about the cake, but I am.

She's right in that it isn't out-right cheap. But the devil is in the details. We showed them a picture of a cake we liked and they said they could do that no problem. Whereas another place [that I won't name] wanted $50 for every single layer they'd put these little waxy snowflakes on.
    We're also getting three different layer types (three different cakes, with three different fillings). A lot of places only let you get one type of cake and they'll charge you extra for fillings. I don't think the Cakery does (though I should probably verify that with Mom before I go shooting my mouth off). The Cakery also has a really wide variety of cake, filling and icing types.

Check out Lubeley's too. I'm kind of curious now. Might be a trip there this weekend. =D
  • edited December 2011
    Lubeley's!  They are resonably priced, very tasty, and good people.  We were there the other day to order our cake and Mrs. Lubeley was there, she is soooo cute!
  • oceangirl06oceangirl06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Suzy G's bakery in O'Fallon MO is the best cake I have ever tasted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards