Not Engaged Yet

Catholics & Birth Control

So I'm sure most of you have heard the Catholic church's opposition to new regulations that require employers insurance plans to cover birth control. (CLICKY).

At first, I was torn because while I disagree with most of what the Catholic church does, I still believe in freedom of religion (and freedom from religion) and all that jazz, but was conflicted when it came to being an employer, especially since Catholic organizations employ more than just Catholics.

However, an opinion blog in our local news summed up perfectly what I was thinking on this issue, and now I really don't think they should have offered any type of compromise on the issue.  (CLICKY).

So...what are your thoughts on this issue?
Anniversary

Re: Catholics & Birth Control

• WHY CAN"T I SEE YOUR POST!!!!!!!  STUPID TK!!<-- Clearly I am in an impatient mood today.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:9eb74217-c3d6-4697-a95d-b8a1524866fe">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well since I can't see the OP, I'll respond to the topic: FFS really, Catholics?   That's all.   I'm a terrible public health person, so I seriously got my news from the Daily Show last night, but from what I saw from Obama's press conference, the insurance companies would be covering the cost of BC, right?  So what's the goddamn issue?!
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Not a big issue in my opinion, it just comes down to the idea that is a company is deemed catholic then they can claim religious reasons not to cover your BC from their health insurance that they are providing you.  I got an email from ACLU saying this....

<span style="font-family:georgia,serif;color:#333333;line-height:15pt;font-size:10pt;"> <strong>Within hours, the U.S. Senate could vote on a measure that could give <em>any</em> insurer or employer the right to refuse people coverage for <em>any</em> health care service required under the Affordable Care Act.</strong></span>  <span style="font-family:georgia,serif;color:#333333;line-height:15pt;font-size:10pt;">All they'd have to do is cite undefined "religious beliefs or moral convictions." </span>
  • Grrr!!!!  First I couldn't see the thread at all, and now the text is gone.  I guess I'll paraphrase...

I posted an article about the Catholic's opposition to their health insurance providing birth control, but I don't remember which one.  Anyways, I was originally kind of torn on the issue.  While I don't agree with most of what the Catholic church does, I do believe in freedom of religion (and from religion), but I also felt they shouldn't be exempt as an employer that employs non-Catholics.

Then I found this opinion blog on my local news site that pretty much summed up how I felt, and it makes me even more angry that they are still fighting this... (CLICKY)

So...what are your opinions on this?  Do you think Catholic organizations should be forced to provide contraception in their insurance policies?  Do you feel this distinction is more a freedom of religion issue, or an employer issue?
    Anniversary
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012

Eh. Here comes my UO.  ;)

The Catholics I feel should have a right to not cover birth control. They don't believe in it, why should they be forced to do it?  If you want birth control, Don't work for a company who doesn't believe in it and doesn’t want to provide it.  Quite frankly I feel like this is an attack on religious freedom. 

And now you can all flame me.

EDIT: Now that I see your article I can respond a little bit better.  I was under the impression that it is not just Catholic hospitals but also Catholic Church’s who employ people to do whatever.   I feel like that argument is weak because Catholic and most Christians believe in caring for the poor and the sick, it is not a choice, it's a commandment.  I still don't see why they should have to "play by the rules" as everyone else.  Yes I am sure they get money from the government and maybe they need to cut out that funding in order to get this freedom but I still think they should have it.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• These few lines sum up most of how I feel about this:

"There is no requirement that a church open a hospital or any other business. But when it does…

If the government were trying to tell Catholics how to worship no one would stand for it. I know the church doesn’t like this word, but it made a … CHOICE. It chose to get into the health care business.

And a hospital is not a church."

(sorry the text is all weird...)

Anniversary
  • I've been absolutely infuriated by this issue.  I don't understand why this is such a big deal, and why all the damn backlash.  This is 100% not a religious issue - you still have every right to practice your religion.  And if we're going to make this a religious issue, then it needs to start with the institutions.  Catholic hospitals don't want to provide their employees with benefits to cover the cost of contraception?  Great.  Hire ONLY people who think like that.

The new amendment that Blunt is trying to pass irritates me as well.  I want to know what gives you, as my employer, the right to decide what choices I can and cannot make regarding my health.

I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Peek, I think what's even worse about Catholics in the healthcare industry is that they are not only deciding their employee's health, but their patients as well, regardless of their religion.

There was a story here not too long ago where a pregnant woman was taken to a Catholic hospital and something major happened where they had to make an immediate decision to terminate the pregnancy or else the mother & baby were 100% going to die.  One of the supervising nuns approved the life-saving procedure against the church's policy and as such, was excomunicated from the church because she performed an 'abortion'.  The church would have rather had BOTH the (non-Catholic) mother and the child die, then to perform a medically necessary abortion.

The thing that gets me is that if there were say, a Jehova's Witness hospital that treated patients of all religions, that refused to give blood transfusions in any case, people would probably cry foul.  But make it a Catholic hospital where they have a powerful world-wide influence, and all of a sudden it's violating their religious freedom to require they do what their non-church members want/need?
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:199614e0-51af-4e0a-8e66-619ab0e8e3a0">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]These few lines sum up most of how I feel about this: " There is no requirement that a church open a hospital or any other business. But when it does… If the government were trying to tell Catholics how to worship no one would stand for it. I know the church doesn’t like this word, but it made a … CHOICE. It chose to get into the health care business. And a hospital is not a church."   (sorry the text is all weird...)
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this as well. All states, when they operate as a business, have to abide by the laws of other businesses (i.e. no governmental immunity for things like pollution from your business or discrimination, etc). So if Catholics open a hospital that serves the entire population, not just the catholic population, I see no reason they shouldn't "play by the same rules" as everyone else. I'm Catholic, and I think their stance on this (and frankly a lot of other issues) just sucks @ss. </div>
  • Yaga thanks for clarification, I was addressing what Peek was talking about with the Blunt amendment, that if employers wish not to cover it and insurance companies perhaps one day claiming that then I'll be paying it out of my own pocket.  I think what I need to do is understand how insurance works better.  So if my employer pays for my health insurance and offers me benefits but refuses to cover BC won't that mean that the insurance company doesn't have to cover me on that because my employer isn't paying for it? 
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2012
    Personally the way I see it is if you don't agree with birth control then don't take birth control. Same goes with abortions and gay marriage. It really pisses me off that anyone in this country believes they have the right to tell another person what they can and can't do in their own life when it has no affect on anyone but themself.

Edited because I suck at typing long thoughts on my phone.

• Thanks for the info Yaga!
  • My problem is with the fact that the Catholic church will gladly take government funds but then doesn't want to provide certain services/insurance (for their employees or patients). It's fine if they want to take a stance on birth control (not that I agree with it) however, certain sacrifices would need to be made, i.e. forgoing government assistance.

I thought the link Jemmini provide said it better than I could, so I won't elaborate.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• What about women who take birth control for medical reasons?

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:43f3c5b5-8baa-4a18-86ba-f25b9eace9e1">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about women who take birth control for medical reasons?
    Posted by bsidebella[/QUOTE]

<div>As Jemmini mentioned, they would let a woman die rather than take the life-saving method of aborting her fetus, so I'm guessing the Catholic church does not recognize birth control as a medicine for ANY reason.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:f0fe3e2b-3013-4162-91c3-8cdb98550a47">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]My problem is with the fact that the Catholic church will gladly take government funds but then doesn't want to provide certain services/insurance (for their employees or patients). It's fine if they want to take a stance on birth control (not that I agree with it) however, certain sacrifices would need to be made, i.e. forgoing government assistance. I thought the link Jemmini provide said it better than I could, so I won't elaborate.
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

I think you stated this well, Tiger. If they don't want to cover medicines or procedures that go against their religion, that's their perogative, but they no longer should qualify for government funds.

I went to a Catholic university, and I remember seeing the nurse practitioner for terrible menstrual cramps. The NP told me that normally she would prescribe BC, but because she was employed by a Catholic school, she couldn't do that and gave me prescription painkillers instead.

ETA: In general, I can't see a ton of employers deciding to make up fake religious beliefs to get out of covering BC. In the long run, it's cheaper than covering pregnancy, delivery, and a new dependent, not to mention family leave for the employee.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:0f1e71d3-6c03-460b-9486-06815efa3e2c">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholics & Birth Control : Starting in August, insurance companies can't charge a copay for birth control, so it will be interesting to see what happens when they have to cover 100% of the cost of BC for Catholic employers.  I wouldn't be surprised if less insurance companies would be willing to offer their services to them.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

This is probably going to be a big issue as well.  Insurance companies already have so many ways of getting around covering certain groups.  For example, I work for a small business and because of the number of employees, the owner only qualifies for basically one plan through Kaiser.  I can totally see them coming up with some way to circumvent the religious affiliated businesses to avoid this.

I see both sides and I get what the church is trying to say, however I totally agee that when you open a business that accepts people of all faiths and backgrounds and you then employ people of all faiths and backgrounds that you should then fall under the business rules ESPECIALLY when you are accepting subsidization from the government.  How is it that they feel "OK" with accepting money from the same gov't that also gives money to organizations like PP? 

They are screaming about their freedoms to run their businesses the way they want but are taking away the freedoms of those working for them.  Sounds to me like the church doesn't trust their followers to make decisions which follow their doctorins.  If it is commanded that they help the sick and less fortunate then they should be doing it within the means of the church and it should not be run as a business.  My personal opinion of the Catholic church is that they need tp clean their own house before they start judging the choices of others.

• I agree with cu97tiger and PP's. I am 100% for affordable birth control for all women (I was actually trying to see if I could get a job at Planned Parenthood, that's how for it I am) but was a little conflicted at first because of the whole separation of church and state issue. I think it's important to point out that a hospital recieving public funding is not a church and is not catering to an exclusively Catholic population.

Also, the majority of Catholic citizens (minus these ridiculous bishops) are for this bill and most Catholic women have used contraceptives at some point in their lives. I feel like they're making a big deal over something most people don't really even disagrees with.
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:4dced718-26db-4f1a-8328-0e9518c1a185">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholics & Birth Control : As Jemmini mentioned, they would let a woman die rather than take the life-saving method of aborting her fetus, so I'm guessing the Catholic church does not recognize birth control as a medicine for ANY reason.
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

Damn. That is some scary stuff.

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • My dad is catholic (and his whole side of the family is). I am not.

I posted something about this the other day on Facebook (primarily that people are ignorant about what birth control is and what it does, that it's NOT abortion, and that it's ok if you don't agree with it, just don't shove that belief down everyone else's throats) My catholic aunt and a couple of catholic cousins "liked" this status and my comments. I was blown away and so happy that they understood me on this topic, because I surely thought they would be the ones to be offended!

Anyway... my thought is that a catholic church shoudln't have to cover this expense, since I'd imagine the people working for a catholic church would all be catholic. BUT, a catholic hospital, school, or other business that employs and serves non-catholics should NOT be allowed to say "We won't cover this because it goes against our beliefs." If they're so against it maybe they should stick to churches.

I agree with a lot of the above comments and I believe everyone has the right to agree or disagree on the topic of BC itself (or abortion, or gay marriage) but they should not infringe on others beliefs and rights.

• Congratulations to everybody on this thread for getting all of their information about the Catholic Church from such reputable news sources such as the Daily Show. So forgive me for not taking you all seriously. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:c207c24d-f2c9-4455-902f-00d6b6608c17">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations to everybody on this thread for getting all of their information about the Catholic Church from such reputable news sources such as the Daily Show. So forgive me for not taking you all seriously. 
    Posted by MedStudent13[/QUOTE]

And forgive all of us for not giving a shiit about what you say since we have no clue who the hell you are.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:c207c24d-f2c9-4455-902f-00d6b6608c17">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations to everybody on this thread for getting all of their information about the Catholic Church from such reputable news sources such as the Daily Show. So forgive me for not taking you all seriously. 
    Posted by MedStudent13[/QUOTE]

Wait a tic...The Daily Show ISN'T a reputable news source? Next you're going to tell me The Onion is satirical.

• The thing that scares me about all this is the fact that it could totally go the other way.  Depending on who comes into office, they could always say something like we WON"T use the governments money to fund those hospitals or clinics that offer BC and abortion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I didn't read the specific article posted yet, because I thought I'd post (as a Catholic) before I did, because I have a feeling I'll agree strongly with the article, and wanted to get my thoughts out before I read it.

I consider myself Catholic. I think the fact that I still associate with the Church at all has a lot to do with the fact that I was raised in an incredible, liberal parish, and things like abortion, birth control, and gay marriage were literally never mentioned.

I mean, I'm sure my priest would have been opposed to all of the above had anyone brought it up, but it was literally not ever brought up in my church. It was an incredibly accepting environment, and fostered my personal spiritual journey more than anything else I've encountered since. Which is a lot more than I can say for BF's conservative Protestant church.

I think it's time for the Catholic Church to get with the times as far as women's health. Seriously. This is such a ridiculous piece of the Bible to hold onto so stringently. It pisses me off to no end that these are the types of things are what the Catholic Church focuses on, when there are so many more important things.

I'm now going to read the article and come back and comment on things actually relevant to this thread.

ETA: Totally agree with the article. I also get really mad about Catholic Hospitals refusing to do tubal ligations. Typically, if a woman wants her tubes tied, and is also having a C-section, the two procedures are done at the same time, because they're already "in there". Catholic hospitals refuse to do this. I think that sucks, pretty much for the same reasons as the article mentions-Hospitals are businesses. They need to live by the same rules, especially if they get public funding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:957d69ed-8663-40d6-b165-acc44b76ed19">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]Peek, I think what's even worse about Catholics in the healthcare industry is that they are not only deciding their employee's health, but their patients as well, regardless of their religion. T<strong>here was a story here not too long ago where a pregnant woman was taken to a Catholic hospital and something major happened where they had to make an immediate decision to terminate the pregnancy or else the mother & baby were 100% going to die.  One of the supervising nuns approved the life-saving procedure against the church's policy and as such, was excomunicated from the church because she performed an 'abortion'.  The church would have rather had BOTH the (non-Catholic) mother and the child die, then to perform a medically necessary abortion</strong>. The thing that gets me is that if there were say, a Jehova's Witness hospital that treated patients of all religions, that refused to give blood transfusions in any case, people would probably cry foul.  But make it a Catholic hospital where they have a powerful world-wide influence, and all of a sudden it's violating their religious freedom to require they do what their non-church members want/need?
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Any chance I could get a link on this one? I don't know of any situation where a nun would take precedence over a doctor when determining the course of treatment for a patient, Catholic hospital or not. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Here's where that random came from, we were a brief topic of discussion on the Catholic Weddings board:

• beanbot2002beanbot2002 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:1e52a34f-c697-445b-9d03-4b1e7d12f7df">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholics & Birth Control : I meant - what is the issue with the insurance company subsidizing the cost of BC if the employers will not?  It will still be covered.  I thought it was a reasonable compromise, and they're still all pissy about it.   I mean I think it's truly fucked up that the Catholic Church is doing this.  In some areas, there are only Catholic hospitals.  So if I'm a nurse or a doctor or can't find employment anywhere else, I don't really HAVE a choice of employer.  It's unfair to punish health care workers and other hospital employees by taking away a benefit they cannot get because there is no other employer to offer it.  I think Obama did a decent thing by saying, hey if you feel so strongly about not paying for it, then you won't.  That was not necessary, at all, but if it helps people keep their insurance, then I'm glad.   However, I do see how it can snowball and turn into a huge clusterfuck of a problem - with other religious organizations and whatnot.  In 2014 (assuming the ACA goes through as planned), the Catholic Church can choose to pay a fine rather than insure their employees.  (Employees would get subsidies to get affordable insurance.)  Then the Catholic Church will just just look like huge assholes and they'll be the ones suffering.   <strong>I'm taking health care policy and management this semester, with a super liberal, pro-ACA professor.  Please feel free to ask me anything you'd like, assuming you want a liberal slant on it.  
    </strong>Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

I gotta get you in touch with my dad (big time health care policy lobbyist and VP of NACHC) and step mom (former chair of the health care policy law dept at GWU). Their brains are, IMO, the best to pick in the field. I get really super excited when others show a passion for this field. I finally realized that my ultimate career goal is to be a CHC director some day.

ETA: On the topic of the thread: Pretty much everyone has stated what I would have said, and you all have done so much more eloquently than I would have been able to. I was raised catholic, and consider myself catholic. But there are a few issues where I break from the church. And this is one of them. I've tried to type out exactly what I think and it comes out all weird. My brain doesn't want to work this morning. I don't believe that the church has any right to tell me what I can and can't put in my body. I am shaking my fist at the church right now. Shaking my fist.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• edited February 2012
    Catholics are just too easy to pick on. They open their doors to everybody, they don't hide what they believe in, and whether you agree with them or not, they let you in. But then they get trashed for holding true to their beliefs simply because they are not your beliefs. They invited you in, and you slapped them in the face. How rude.

That said, any organisation of any religion that accepts public, government funding should be required by law to follow the same mandates as all other public businesses, whether it conflicts with the organization or not. If a Catholic, Jewish, or Islamic hospital is open to the public and receives government funds, they all have to play by the same rules.

However, churches and schools (or even hospitals)  that DO NOT recieve public government funding should not have to abide because they make their money through private donations. Those that work there, know what goes on there and should know the belief system may not coincide with their own. That's the risk they personally take when accepting an employment position with such an organisation. They should know up-front that the insurance provided only covers x,y, and z prior to completing the paper work for hire. In other words, they can always walk away if they don't agree with it and seek employment elsewhere. No one is forcing their hand.

That's where the line should be drawn. There really isn't a logical argument to be made outside those parameters, for either side.
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_catholics-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:75138fbe-82de-452d-909f-dc8ac65ad29aPost:924c2032-8a58-40ca-bacb-4286a0007dc5">Re: Catholics & Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholics & Birth Control : Any chance I could get a link on this one? I don't know of any situation where a nun would take precedence over a doctor when determining the course of treatment for a patient, Catholic hospital or not. 
    Posted by jorja86[/QUOTE]

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2010/05/15/20100515phoenix-catholic-nun-abortion.html">http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2010/05/15/20100515phoenix-catholic-nun-abortion.html</a>

ETA:  The nun was on the ethics commitee of the hospital and with the agreement between the patient and doctor, the nun approved the surgery.  The Bishop of the Phoenix Diocese claimed that any Catholic that directly participated in an abortion is automatically excommunicated.
    Anniversary
  • Someone pointed out that no Catholic organization is forced to start a business.. Well, no person is FORCED to work for a Catholic affiliated business either.  If you don't like the insurance coverage of a potential employer, then don't work there.  Not that difficult.  Either that or pay for the coverage yourself. 

I agree that when it's medically necessary that it should be covered regardless.  But why this entitlement mentality to have "consequence"-free sex that is paid for by anyone but yourself?  Is it nice for an insurance company/employer to cover it?  Hell yeah.  I think it's smart for them to do so.  But no organization should have to go against its fundamental religious beliefs to pay for someone else's birth control.  In the end, these costs trickle down to the people on the plans.  Which means those people who still don't use birth control by their own choice have to put the money in the pot so that others can still have it.  Pretty shiitty if you ask me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards