Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Theme/ I'm a Control Freak!

So my BM's and I got together over the weekend and they finally all met...yay.  We started discussing the bridal shower.  They asked me if there is a theme that I want for the shower, and I don't know.  Initially I wanted to do a luau/Hawaiian theme but FI's cousin had the same themed shower last month and I don't want to do the same thing.  What other themes are there?  I think I may just opt for a non-themed wedding shower.

On another note, the shower planning is going to be difficult for me.  I am such a control freak that I want to plan my own shower so that everything will turn out perfectly.  I know that the BM's are supposed to plan it and I can just show up and enjoy the party, but a huge part of me wants to help with the planning and help with the cost.  Am I the only one that feels this way?
My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image

Re: Bridal Shower Theme/ I'm a Control Freak!

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that if you'll lose the idea of everything being "perfect" for your pre-wedding parties and for your wedding, you'll be much happier.

They won't be perfect.  But they'll be wonderful just the same.  Really, what is the worst that will happen if everything isn't "perfect"?  Will you be any less married?  Will your friends and family love you any less?

Your WP is nice enough to throw you a party.  Please don't make them feel inadequate because you intimate that they are incapable of planning a "perfect party" without your input.  The correct thing to do is to graciously accept the gift they are giving you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also a control freak, and it was hard for me to sit back while my mom and MOH planned my shower and my MOH and BM's planned the bachelorette. But now that they have both happened, I can say it was so nice with everything else going on to have parties thrown for me that I didn't have to lift a finger on. They took care of everything, and everything was beautiful and wonderful. Besides the fact that you shouldn't interfere with the planning of a party that's in honor of you, but with all the wedding planning and stress, you don't need the stress of trying to plan another party. Sit back and enjoy your bridal shower and make sure to thank your MOH and BM's for all the hard work they put into the planning.

I also love what Trix said.. will you be any less married if everything isn't "perfect"? She's right! None of these pre-wedding parties will make you any more or any less married, and when they're thrown for you it's so nice to sit back and enjoy what your family and friends have done to help celebrate your upcoming marriage.
  • angiems97angiems97 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp.  I can be a control freak too and the showers weren't so hard for me as the bachelorette party.  My bachelorette party was going to be a surprise but when I heard some of the ideas and I didn't like some of them so then I had told my BMs my favorite places so they incorporated two of those and they found the place to eat dinner.  You do have so much going on just let it go and relax. Everyone knows you are not planning it as the bride so even if it is not perfect people wouldn't think you had anything to do with it.  It will probably be fun.  And do remember to be grateful to the BMs throwing it and grateful you get to go through this experience! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can go to this website for  15 theme ideas with pics and instructions. http://www.hostesswiththemostess.com/themes/

I suggested the 'Something Blue" blue box theme to my MOH and that's the one she agreed on too, she got the invites from dillards.com online and having a cake shaped as the lil blue box, using candle favors (http://www.hotref.com/gift-box-candle-wedding-favors-p-1674.html) and everything blue/white....
  • edited December 2011
    Alice in Wonderland
    Naughty and Nice lingerie theme,
    kitchen shower,
    time of day shower (everyone gets a time and you have to buy something that corresponds to that time of day, ex: 8am coffee mug, midnight PJs, 12noon lunch bag)
    Honeymoon shower (travel supplies for honeymoon, luggage, tags, guidebook...)
    Las Vegas (blackjack tables, poker tables)
    Margarita Ville (different kinds of margs)
    Sex in the City theme with Cosmos and a purse shaped cake

• edited December 2011
    Ooh...I love the Sex and the City theme and the Vegas since we'll be going to Vegas for my bachelorette party.  Thanks for those theme ideas.

Also, I love my girls and I know they will do a fabulous job.  I do not doubt them whatsoever and I would never put them down or make them feel bad in any way.  It's just the control freak in me that wants to help plan it.  I just need to remind myself that they are in charge and I am to sit back and enjoy it.  Luckily our engagement photo session is on the same day so that will keep me busy while they set up for the shower. 

They have been great and I will let them know just how much I appreaciate them. 
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • edited December 2011
    Ok sooo i just had my bridal shower on sunday and it was absolutely amazing... my theme was hot pink and black and every last detail cordinated to the theme... my mother and my aunt did most of the planning but i am a control freak an knew what i wanted and how i wanted it so i diffinately helped plan a lot of it but they did have some secrets for which came out just wonderful... now next i have my bachlorette coming up which i know only 2 things about and its killing me.... but my girls and my mom and aunt know me and know that i like to know whats going on and knew that i would want to help out... i wouldn't be worried that they'll think that you dont trust them or anything just let me know you want to be able to help and be a part of the whole planning process and i'm sure they will understand and everything will be perfect!!!

[url=http://<a href="http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers" rel="nofollow">www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers</a>][img]<a href="http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt8c6ff.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt8c6ff.aspx</a>[/img][/url]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards