July 2012 Weddings

up lighting

Ok this isn't related to my post topic. I looked over my estimate for my reception and it was one thousand dollars less than what i thought yay! Lol Anyways, how do u feel about up lighting?

Re: up lighting

• I would of did it, if it wasn't so expensive. I think it creats/sets the mood and it makes the space sometimes appear even more prettier IMO. My DJ offeres it but then my expense for my DJ would have been 4k, so i said no way!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think it really depends on the venue. We're not having up lighting at our wedding just because I don't feel that my venue needs it. I think up lighting does look great though so if it fits in your budget and you think it will give your venue that something extra then I'd go for it.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Our venue has a package of 8 lights for $800ish dollars which includes the cords and AV set up.  I added the package to our cost estimate but the more that I think about it, we could probably get away with 4 or 6 lights which is what I will discuss when we go for our tasting at the end of January.

I like how subtle lighting looks but I hate when it looks like the entire room is blue or purple.  I have seen a lot of that on pinterest and it has encouraged me to reconsider the number of lights we'll be having.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_up-lighting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:4697029e-f50c-4f61-b85f-693c752f4785Post:e093330d-eb81-451c-af18-154c382937f0">Re: up lighting</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like how subtle lighting looks but I hate when it looks like the entire room is blue or purple.  I have seen a lot of that on pinterest and it has encouraged me to reconsider the number of lights we'll be having.
    Posted by penny12986[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree, normal and subtle light please! Maybe just in regular white/yellow. I'm still looking for a dj, it will depend a bit on what he offers. I think I will spend more on outdoor lights, you know, cutesy ones in the trees, than on indoor light. I hope we can spend most of the night outside...

</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 5 up lights are included in my reception package :-D

i am going with a light purple shade which matches our wedding colors.  we are having a formal yet modern ballroom reception, so the uplighting goes perfect with our mood/theme. 

however, i do NOT think uplighting works in every space. it depends on the couple, the vibe of the wedding, and the space itself!

• mekiakoomekiakoo member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted that it's necessary- but for us. Our DJ is providing them for us for an extra $100 because we are deaf and it'll help us "see" the music beats- the lights will follow the rhythm.

We also will have several deaf guests so the up lightings will be used when there is a change- like when it is time to cut the cake, the lights will change, when it is time for the first dance, the lights will change colors. 

Kinda nice!
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_up-lighting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:4697029e-f50c-4f61-b85f-693c752f4785Post:12cfb062-7b5a-4b86-8776-38c1df0e6e04">Re: up lighting</a>:
    [QUOTE]I voted that it's necessary- but for us. Our DJ is providing them for us for an extra $100 because we are deaf and it'll help us "see" the music beats- the lights will follow the rhythm. We also will have several deaf guests so the up lightings will be used when there is a change- like when it is time to cut the cake, the lights will change, when it is time for the first dance, the lights will change colors.  Kinda nice!
    Posted by mekiakoo[/QUOTE]

I love that your DJ does this! I really do! I think it's the coolest thing ever and so helpful! Is this common to find?
  • I put undecdied. I wouldn't pay extra for it. But my venue just added lights in the reception space and we get to choose the color for no extra cost! I'm actually not sure if there will normally be an extra cost but they were added to the space after we signed our contract, so we're getting them!

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I say undecided. But only because I worry about costs. I loooove me any kind of lighting but if it's out of our budget I'm not gonna be ridiculous about it and break the bank. If it's affordable I'd probably consider it.
  • FI's cousin is a professional DJ and are getting our package at a steal for $730.00 with lighting. I love how it creates a mood, we haven't decided which colors we will use but I've seen another bride use them at our venue and it's really pretty.
    Once in awhile,right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • I think it depends on the venue. A venue that has so much natural beauty may look silly with up lighting, while one that is more raw would benefit.

And also it would depend on the style of the wedding. For us, it would not work but I have seen it look nice.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our Dj is including 5 lights in our choice of color with our package.  I think if you can afford it, and want it, then go for it.. otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

. Anniversary aandt image
  • I don't think you need it but sometimes it helps.  Our DJ provides it with his packages so we figured why not.  We've seen the room done up with the up lighting and it just completes the look I think for my venue.

Anniversary
  • I was undecided about whether to pay my dj an extra 350.00 for the service. I'm going to go ahead and book the up lighting service with him.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_up-lighting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:4697029e-f50c-4f61-b85f-693c752f4785Post:dd098ecf-33ca-4c43-8a5d-d37fc586a923">Re: up lighting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: up lighting : I love that your DJ does this! I really do! I think it's the coolest thing ever and so helpful! Is this common to find?
    Posted by Nati05[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure if this is common?? We were going to pick a deaf DJ, but decided to go with a different one (more reputable one) and we asked them ahead of time to see if they've worked with deaf people in the past and that was what they offered us.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards