Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Providing Alcohol

Fiance and I are having trouble coming to an agreement in providing alcohol. We both total agree that we do not want an open bar because we dont want a surprise bill at the end of the evening. Since we have a lot of out of state people coming I feel that it is important to provide some free alcohol. My fiance still feel this isnt necessary and a waste of money. What are some good ways to compromise?

Re: Providing Alcohol

• edited December 2011
    You could host a limited open bar--beer, wine, and a signature cocktail or two.  Think about what you and your guests like, and if beer and wine is a crowd-pleaser, don't worry about the signature cocktail.  Another thing you could add on is a champagne toast. 

Do you already know how your venue charges for open bar?  There are two ways:
    1. Consumption bar is when you are charged for what your guests drink. 
    2. The other option is to pay a set rate per person. 
    With a consumption bar, you could get a surprise bill that is super high at the end of your event, but with the other option, you know what you're spending in advance. 
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually disagree with the idea of not having an open bar. I don't think it has to be a huge selection but I do think it's important. (aside from religious objections which I compeletely respect)

PP has suggested a good idea. (I would add a signature drink though)

Why does he feel it's a waste of money?

If he doesn't like to drink than maybe just have a dry reception.
  • prncssKT1prncssKT1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He has no problem drinking, we just know a lot of our guest can add up a very big bar tab and he doesnt feel it is necessary.
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say to do just a limited bar then on a price per person if possible.  Then people can drink but you don't have the worry about costs adding up. (PP suggested)
  • zr8derzzr8derz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with PP that Beer/Wine/Signature cocktail should be a good compromise. Have you settled on your venue? We were able to work with our caterer who allowed us to supply our own alcohol and didn't charge for the bartender nor charge a corkage fee.

As James so eloquently states - Nothing Else Matters! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_providing-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:99879a26-700d-4efa-8622-708d18b2304fPost:cb79bede-7426-41c1-8bd6-e5792198451e">Re: Providing Alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]He has no problem drinking, we just know a lot of our guest can add up a very big bar tab and he doesnt feel it is necessary.
    Posted by prncssKT1[/QUOTE]
    Will your venue only let you have a surprise tab at the end? Is there no way to work out a "per person" situation or a limit on the cost?
  • edited December 2011
    I would ask the same question as Simply Fated. Most of the caterers I've looked at will provide prices per drink and also a set price for open bar ($4 per beer or $20 per person for unlimited beer, for example).
  • edited December 2011
    If you're worried about cost, I would just do wine and beer. See if your venue will let you bring in alcohol, because that can save a lot too. If that's not an option, try to find a caterer/venue that will do a per-person deal.
    Anniversary
  • mpatt2122mpatt2122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are providing just wine and beer. Our venue gave us the option to set an amount we want to spend then once we reach that limit that is all we will provide.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards