Wedding Reception Forum

looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.

Hello,

I am getting married in mid October in Maine by the water. Ceremony is outside and reception inside. Foliage will be bright and colorful so we are going with a fall theme. My situation is a bit unique because my fiance was in a skiing accident a few years ago and has a incomplete spinal cord injury. That means he has to use a wheelchair, he is able to get up and walk a bit with support, he will be standing with some sort of crutch/podium for the ceremony but as far as the dancing goes its totally out of the question. I personally hate dancing and am super shy so im cool with it, haha, so we arent going to have a dance floor open. Its going to be a day wedding and a nice late lunch inside overlooking the ocean. My father passed away a couple years ago so there wouldnt be an option for father/daughter dance either so thats another reason I am okay with it. We are going to have a candy buffet as a fun add on/favor type thing. The wedding is oct 13th so im sure finding candy in bulk will not be a problem and will be fall themed and NOT halloween looking, and we are going to have nice little paper box/bag things for taking candy home. Any other suggestions for things to keep the reception fun and entertaining? I guess I should include the fact that we are also on a tight budget.

Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.

• I think as long as you have good food and good drinks your guests will mingle and talk with each other.  They don't need games or other things to keep them entertained.

I understand your reasoning for not having a dance floor open but you have to remember that the reception is not just for you and your FI it is a thank you for your guests coming to witness your nuptials, and as such you should think about your guests and whether or not they would like to dance at your wedding.

If you do decide to not have dancing whatsoever, just have some nice background music playing during your reception, but be prepared for your reception to not last quite as long as those with dancing.  Many guests may decide to leave after 2 hours or so once they have had a chance to eat, chat, and congratulate you and your new hubby.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:1b33aa12-51bc-4706-aa06-f59ff85a4363">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think as long as you have good food and good drinks your guests will mingle and talk with each other.  They don't need games or other things to keep them entertained.<strong> I understand your reasoning for not having a dance floor open but you have to remember that the reception is not just for you and your FI it is a thank you for your guests coming to witness your nuptials, and as such you should think about your guests and whether or not they would like to dance at your wedding.</strong> If you do decide to not have dancing whatsoever, just have some nice background music playing during your reception, but be prepared for your reception to not last quite as long as those with dancing.  Many guests may decide to leave after 2 hours or so once they have had a chance to eat, chat, and congratulate you and your new hubby.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

DItto. I think you should have music and a dance floor for your guests' enjoyment, even if you personally are not going to use it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:1b33aa12-51bc-4706-aa06-f59ff85a4363">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think as long as you have good food and good drinks your guests will mingle and talk with each other.  They don't need games or other things to keep them entertained. I understand your reasoning for not having a dance floor open but you have to remember that the reception is not just for you and your FI it is a thank you for your guests coming to witness your nuptials, and as such you should think about your guests and whether or not they would like to dance at your wedding. If you do decide to not have dancing whatsoever, just have some nice background music playing during your reception, but be prepared for your reception to not last quite as long as those with dancing.  Many guests may decide to leave after 2 hours or so once they have had a chance to eat, chat, and congratulate you and your new hubby.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

I get what youre saying aout the thank you to the guests, but Im not willing to make my fiance feel left out or upset in anyway just so my guest can dance, picture him sitting back watching others run off to dance, no thanks, This is the day for him and I to remember. Its a small wedding with just immediate family and few friends, like 80 people. I dont think most of my cousins are too big of dancers so thats a plus. I think youre right though, the food and drink, and music should cover it. Thanks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:df8bfde6-be7b-4d48-adb5-93958c12f16a">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing. : I get what youre saying aout the thank you to the guests, but Im not willing to make my fiance feel left out or upset in anyway just so my guest can dance, <strong>picture him sitting back watching others run off to dance, no thanks,</strong> This is the day for him and I to remember. Its a small wedding with just immediate family and few friends, like 80 people. I dont think most of my cousins are too big of dancers so thats a plus. I think youre right though, the food and drink, and music should cover it. Thanks!
    Posted by Gina8484[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah I get this.  I think it's fine to skip the dancing--regardless of your reasons--especially in this case. </div><div>
    </div><div>Just have lots of booze, good background music, lots of food, and maybe a photobooth or something if you want to add a little lagniappe. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:ec59dfa8-95fd-4648-8107-9e80850c6395">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing. : Yeah I get this.  I think it's fine to skip the dancing--regardless of your reasons--especially in this case.  Just have lots of booze, good background music, lots of food, and maybe a photobooth or something if you want to add a little lagniappe. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

oooh photobooth! good suggestion! thanks!!
  • "This is the day for him and I to remember."

I agree, however, I also agree with other PPs that the reception is about you thanking everyone for sharing the day with you, and it's also a time for celebration. Some people coming to the wedding may be looking forward to a few turns on the dance floor. Also, will your FI definitely be upset if others are having fun on the dancefloor and he can't? I've been to a dance in a wheelchair and I had a great time on the floor with my friends.

If it's something you know no one invited will be upset to miss, than I think you could nix the dancing, however, I would let guests know on the invitation or some other way not to expect dancing. I also think that even with a photobooth, you are only going to have guests stay maybe a couple of hours. i would discuss this with your venue as I'm sure their prices are set up based on the average length of a reception. You may be able to get some money back by having it end earlier. I don't think many people would stay for 4 or 5 hours without dancing.
  • In Response to Re:looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.:[QUOTE]"This is the day for him and I to remember."I agree, however, I also agree with other PPs that the reception is about you thanking everyone for sharing the day with you, and it's also a time for celebration. Some people coming to the wedding may be looking forward to a few turns on the dance floor. Also, will your FI definitely be upset if others are having fun on the dancefloor and he can't? I've been to a dance in a wheelchair and I had a great time on the floor with my friends. If it's something you know no one invited will be upset to miss, than I think you could nix the dancing, however, I would let guests know on the invitation or some other way not to expect dancing. I also think that even with a photobooth, you are only going to have guests stay maybe a couple of hours. i would discuss this with your venue as I'm sure their prices are set up based on the average length of a reception. You may be able to get some money back by having it end earlier. I don't think many people would stay for 4 or 5 hours without dancing. Posted by futuremrsbruno[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my question here isn't whether or not to include the dancing.. We have already decided not to. It's more for suggestions to make it more entertaining with out it. The wedding is 114:30, that's including the outdoor ceremony, and I believe there is some time outside on the lawn pictured w/ the question where people hang out and have hor dourves so depending on the length of the ceremony and the outdoor time I don't think I'll be needing to fill a 5 hr window of time for the reception. That's a good idea though that we speak to them about getting a discount due to possibly having it be a bit shorter in time. I guess I should also say that this place is a restaurant style venue that overlooks the ocean and has outdoor seating as well if weather allows. not the typical ball room/hall look, so wont look awkward The restaurant is completely closed for the wedding hours so we'd have complete access. I have thought of the invite being worded a bit different to emphasize the lunch after the ceremony rather than typical wording about the reception. We shall see, hopefully people linger a bit but I'm okay with it if they don't. Im super shy and if I didn't have a HUGE family I would have invited even less people but it was difficult to even get the number down to 80 and that is only with a few friends between my fianc and I. Thanks for your suggestion about the invite I had almost forgotten that I wanted to do that! ;
  • We had a cocktail reception with an open bar, heavy appetizers and background music.  That is all our guests needed.

Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to Re:looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.:[QUOTE]Yes, it's a thank you to the guests, but saying that you should have dancing even if you don't want it for the guests is a bit ridiculous.nbsp; She's receiving her guests, she's serving them refreshments, she is fulfilling her duty as a hostess.nbsp; Dancing is no more necessary at a reception than alcohol is, and we tell brides all the time not to feel bad for having dry weddings. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! Good points!! : I think it will be fine with out the dancing. My fianc and I are the type who tend to linger and relax and drink so that's the atmosphere I am hoping for.
  • I was going to say exactly what Nola did. You don't need to have dancing and I think a photobooth would be a great touch. You could do a homemade one with lots of different props for people to play with. 
  • In Response to Re:looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.:[QUOTE]I was going to say exactly what Nola did. You don't need to have dancing and I think a photobooth would be a great touch. You could do a homemade one with lots of different props for people to play with.nbsp; Posted by Queen Jane[/QUOTE]

Props for the photo booth is a great suggestion too. Thanks! I hope I can find a photo booth at an affordable price
  • Do you think you guests may want to dance?  FI and I do not enjoy dancing but we are still offering it to the guests.  Even if nobody dances people enjoy mingling, no need to add activities, especially if your on a budget.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:27035b2a-768b-4333-8eb8-7286263e2c05">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that no dancing is fine. Yes the reception is for guests, but good food is really the most important part. Maybe set up some lawn games outside so that people will stay longer? Croquet, bags (aka cornhole), and bocce are fun and probably on sale at target, or will be by the end of the summer.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion but the reception is inside, the ceremony is outside but it would be too cold in maine in october to stay outside for the reception for games and stuff i think.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:c1d4cc4d-1988-4349-94c7-0ec558bc7c2c">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]"This is the day for him and I to remember." I agree, however, I also agree with other PPs that the reception is about you thanking everyone for sharing the day with you, and it's also a time for celebration. Some people coming to the wedding may be looking forward to a few turns on the dance floor. Also, will your FI definitely be upset if others are having fun on the dancefloor and he can't? I've been to a dance in a wheelchair and I had a great time on the floor with my friends. If it's something you know no one invited will be upset to miss, than I think you could nix the dancing, however, <strong>I would let guests know on the invitation or some other way not to expect dancing</strong>. I also think that even with a photobooth, you are only going to have guests stay maybe a couple of hours. i would discuss this with your venue as I'm sure their prices are set up based on the average length of a reception. You may be able to get some money back by having it end earlier. I don't think many people would stay for 4 or 5 hours without dancing.
    Posted by futuremrsbruno[/QUOTE]

I see absolutely no reason why you need to mention no dancing on an invitation or elsewhere.  Maybe I wouldn't stay as long, but I certainly wouldn't skip a wedding because there was no dancing. 
  • I went to a small morning wedding last year and there wasn't any dancing. Most people started to leave after they were done eating...That's what the bride had wanted anyways.

Maybe you could try the newlywed game, a photo scavenger hunt, the wedding shoe game, different board games or karaoke.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • babe915babe915 member
    First Comment
    I personally dont dance either. Therefore I usually just mingle during receptions and I have so much fun that way. I'm one that can listen to peoples stories all day long and not get bored. I think you dont need anything extra. I think it will turn out lovely for you :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • maybe a wine or beer tasting after lunch?  not necessarily a formal "ok everyone, now we're drinking this glass" but just something offered at the bar or at a table nearby.

I also like the idea of lawn games.  I went to a late-morning wedding, and after lunch we enjoyed playing cornhole on boards they had painted just for the wedding.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:5a0a094b-148f-4f0b-8654-44c9596fb53e">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]maybe a wine or beer tasting after lunch?  not necessarily a formal "ok everyone, now we're drinking this glass" but just something offered at the bar or at a table nearby. I also like the idea of lawn games.  I went to a late-morning wedding, and after lunch we enjoyed playing cornhole on boards they had painted just for the wedding.  
    Posted by TeamBLT[/QUOTE]

Wine tasting is an interesting idea, thanks. The outdoor games probably wouldnt work because just the ceremony is outside and reception inside. October in maine is iffy on temperature.. last year it was like 80 degrees on the date the wedding is this year but.. it also snowed two weeks later in late october last year! so hoping we get lucky and get the typical 60 degrees or so at least..
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:7e53f66c-3a18-413b-9453-3c2adec0f484">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing. : Please don't.  These games at a wedding are akin to 'icebreakers' at corporate retreats.  Nothing would make me run for the door faster than participating in games like this.  Just trust your guests to be adults and entertain themselves.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Yeah nice suggestions, but not my style either. Im the chatting with a martini type of person, so i think I may just relax drink and hopefully I can get a photobooth, bc that may be fun.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:360ade65-8a1f-42bc-a829-3889789a2666">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing. : Wine tasting is an interesting idea, thanks. The outdoor games probably wouldnt work because just the ceremony is outside and reception inside. October in maine is iffy on temperature.. last year it was like 80 degrees on the date the wedding is this year but.. it also snowed two weeks later in late october last year! so hoping we get lucky and get the typical 60 degrees or so at least..
    Posted by Gina8484[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh yes, forgot about the Maine component.  My reference was Atlanta in June - a bit different!  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-some-suggestions-for-wedding-reception-with-out-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b40b131-b447-4dde-8834-1c6e2362a725Post:a1d5fa48-4d34-43ff-bde6-f2dfe1766da9">Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: looking for some suggestions for wedding reception with out dancing. : Oh yes, forgot about the Maine component.  My reference was Atlanta in June - a bit different!  
    Posted by TeamBLT[/QUOTE]

haha, yep! :)
  • Hi,
    here's an idea that I'm using for my parents' surprise 40th wedding anniversary vow renewal ceremony and reception that my sister and I are planning. My father is a minister and most of my parents' friends are Pastors and Bishops of churches, so we're not planning to have a dance floor for their event.

We are currently interviewing some of my parents' friends and relatives to allow them to tell the story of my parents' love affair, their life together as husband and wife and raising my sister and I. We will take the interviews and make a movie out of it using the iMovie feature on my Macbook computer. The end of the movie will include everyone congratulating my parents. Throughout the night, we will have pictures of my parents playing on a projector screen with each guest - we went through their old photos and found pictures of my parents with each guest.

I know you don't have 40 years worth of memories, but it would be nice for people to see the story of how you met - very entertaining!

Good luck!
  • We got married in December and on a MONDAY (which some people still share their opinion about this...oh well) and our reception was in a gym. Most of our friends don't drink or dance, so for us we just made sure we had lots of good food for everyone. We had different types of dessert in case people didn't want cake, we had two different types on entrees, salad, and since it was at Christmas we had eggnog and a hot choclate fountain with different Christmas mugs. When we cut the cake, we had our MC talk about different funny wedding traditions that people still talk about to this day. And I know that sometimes this can go very badly, but we did have an open mic time where friends and family could get up and share memories. About ten people got up and they didn't talk too long or anything. For us it was perfect, it was very relaxed and our friends and family got a chance to hang out together.

I am currently helping my best friend plan her wedding reception and she is really loving the idea of games (because she and the groom love games). Some things we were thinking was the shoe game, making up a description to a photo game, making a DIY photo booth, and also having a list of things guests have to do if they clink their glasses for the bride and groom to kiss. I know games aren't for everyone, but it's your wedding so just make sure you do what will make you and the groom happy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards