Wedding Reception Forum

Clink your glass, make us kiss?

I don't know about anyone else, but I HATE the tradition on the clinking of the glasses to see the bride and groom kiss. I think its rude how the majority of that happens while the bride and groom are eating. However, if we were to somehow make it worth while, then maybe I'd be open to the idea.
With that said, I know asking guests for money is rude, but so is making the B&G kiss while eating. What if there was a basket at the DJ, and if guests REALLY wanted to see the B&G kiss with a fork of food having been just put in their mouths, the guests had to drop a dollar in the basket?
A Dollar = A kiss?

Like I said I know asking for money in rude but I hate that clinking sound unless its to get someones attention...
Please help...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Clink your glass, make us kiss?

• Asking for money is rude.You know this. Asking for money to counteract something rude your guests are doing is still rude.

If you want, you can try to find some alternate "gimmick" that guests have to do. At BIL's wedding, they had hula hoops and guests got into it. At ours, we tried to have guests sink a putt (little putting set-up by the DJ) and it went over like a lead balloon. People still clinked their glasses with their forks and knives; we kissed a few times and then just ignored it. People got the hint and let us eat in peace.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_clink-your-glass-make-us-kiss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:29316b3c-a36d-4fb5-af75-277065c75a1aPost:d9ab7d8b-5350-433a-9168-95308cb529a1">Clink your glass, make us kiss?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know about anyone else, but I HATE the tradition on the clinking of the glasses to see the bride and groom kiss. I think its rude how the majority of that happens while the bride and groom are eating. However, if we were to somehow make it worth while, then maybe I'd be open to the idea. With that said, I know asking guests for money is rude, but so is making the B&G kiss while eating. What if there was a basket at the DJ, and if guests REALLY wanted to see the B&G kiss with a fork of food having been just put in their mouths, the guests had to drop a dollar in the basket? A Dollar = A kiss? Like I said I know asking for money in rude but I hate that clinking sound unless its to get someones attention... Please help...
    Posted by Jessicaowen422[/QUOTE]

JIC.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_clink-your-glass-make-us-kiss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:29316b3c-a36d-4fb5-af75-277065c75a1aPost:cba5ad45-0176-4ba2-9915-d7e48c2038a7">Re: Clink your glass, make us kiss?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Asking for money is rude.You know this. Asking for money to counteract something rude your guests are doing is still rude. If you want, you can try to find some alternate "gimmick" that guests have to do. At BIL's wedding, they had hula hoops and guests got into it. At ours, we tried to have guests sink a putt (little putting set-up by the DJ) and it went over like a lead balloon. People still clinked their glasses with their forks and knives; we kissed a few times and then just ignored it. People got the hint and let us eat in peace.
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]

Thats a great Idea. Like I said I hate the idea of asking for money, it makes me cringe, but i also cringe at the thought of trying to choke down food quickly in order to make the clinking stop, lol

Thank you I will look for ideas..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i hate clinking too and ive decided to ignore it.
  • Have plastic cups ;-)
  • Every wedding I've gone to, the guests have done this. Like a PP said, there are other ways to do it--have the guests sing a line from a love song to get you to kiss, etc. But there is also nothing wrong with just ignoring it. Like Stage said, kiss once just to be a good sport, and from then on, ignore the clinking.

I've also seen B&Gs do something silly like turn to their honor attendants and give them a kiss on the cheek, etc. A lot of times that may get across the idea that you're over the clinking and kissing. Whatever you do, don't ask for money.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Agree with PPs.  Find an alternate - sing a love song chorus, recite a love poem.  DH and I also hated the clinking glasses tradition, especially when people tried to time the clinking while we were eating.  We kissed once, rubbed noses the second time (since we were both chewing) and then ignored it. People got the hint.
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_clink-your-glass-make-us-kiss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:29316b3c-a36d-4fb5-af75-277065c75a1aPost:f20ae7b9-31c4-418d-8a8e-03a1fc847411">Re:Clink your glass, make us kiss?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Doing something rude to your guests actually gives you LESS room to complain about them doing something rude to you. Kiss the first time to be a good sport, then ignore it and it will stop. If it helps, I've only ever been to one wedding in real life where this was done.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This.

• My family does the same thing, and I really don't see the fun in it. Though they usually to busy stuffing their face to do it while eating. lol.

I could see doing it a few times then ignoring it, or asking the DJ to announce that the bride and groom request to refrain from clicking of glasses for a kiss during dinner.

I also recently learned of a tradition where as you had to pay to dance with the bride or groom, we weren't sure which, or if both.

I thought this was cute, but it was like a quarter or something, not a dollar.
    Wedding Date: 7/20/2014 Met in 2001, starting dating in 2005, engaged in 2012.
  • Do not ask for money. Period.
  • whats if you did a bean bag toss.... im sure you could find a cheap wooded one or you could even pait it to match your wedding colors or put your monogram on it ... Just thought of it while i was reading the responses and im so glad i did because i was having the same issues as you were with this .
  • My daughter wanted plastic cups so they could not clink for a kiss. She is very shy and would not kiss just because she was told to anyway.  She is worried about the KISS at the end of the wedding.
  • I'd just ignore it the whole time; doing it once will just feed the fire. 

Don't do it with money. That's so rude!!
  • At our wedding, we had a fish bowl filled with the names of all of the couples at our wedding.  When glasses were clinked, our DJ drew a couple from the fish bowl, and they had to "show" us how to kiss.  Then we imitated the kiss that they did.  This might not be for everyone, but our guests loved it.  We got lots of compliments about it afterwards, and some of the older couples actually got into it the most.  Just an idea if you are looking for something other than the traditional clinking.
  • Don't ask for money. It's tacky, no matter what your reasoning is.

If you ignore the clinking, it will just go away, and nobody will remember it later on. If you make people PAY to get you to kiss, not only is it still going to happen, but everybody's going to remember that you "charged" for kisses for years to come. I know everybody wants their wedding to be "memorable", but that's definitely not the way to go about it.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• I hate the glass clinking, kiss demanding stuff!  I've told family and close friends that we will not be responding to it.  I've been kind of bummed because I just realized we'll have plastic cups instead of glass, the fact that people will not be able to clink their glasses is a bonus that I didn't think about!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was at a wedding where they did the dollar-in-the-jar-means-bride-and-groom-kiss.  It was, um, awkward.  And got very tiresome.  Personally, I'm all for appropriate PDA, but not for other's entertainment (the never-ending clinking glasses thing) and definitely not for money. 

It was especially awkward at that wedding when someone put a 50-dollar-bill into the jar ...
  • in your poll you write 'that tradition is tired'.   Putting a dollar in a jar for the B&G to kiss is not a tradition.

if they clink and you dont want to kiss then dont. dont make it into a fundraiser.

• libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_clink-your-glass-make-us-kiss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:29316b3c-a36d-4fb5-af75-277065c75a1aPost:3135ef6d-16c5-44f3-b607-c17c60a5a6d6">Re: Clink your glass, make us kiss?</a>:
    [QUOTE]At our wedding, we had a fish bowl filled with the names of all of the couples at our wedding.  When glasses were clinked, our DJ drew a couple from the fish bowl, and they had to "show" us how to kiss.  Ugh.  What a horrible way to put your guests on the spot...especially if they weren't comfortable with that. theelusive, they can skip the kiss. It's not required.  Simply make no mention of it, and have them turn to face the guests, and the officiant pronounces them married. Am I the only one who hates those wedding kisses that look more as if the couple is trying to consummate their marriage?
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually, we had lots of people, both that kissed and that didn't, tell us how much fun it was. We had several people whose names didn't get drawn tell us that they wished they would have gotten to kiss. I guess our crowds were just different.</div>
  • I'm not doing the clinkiing of the glass, but ringing little bells.... still noisy, but not as annoying ;)
    imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards